Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Someone took a key to the car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry Someone took a key to the car...

Just got an 01' TA, Sunset Orange Metallic, just beautiful... had it for a week and someone took a key to the car... no way that it could have been someone scrapping against the car or anything... went all the way down to the sheetmetal on the rear passenger fender.

Question is if anyone has any idea how much it might cost to get it reworked a little. Trying to determine if it is worth reporting to insurance to have them take care of it, only reason I haven't yet is because I am afraid of rates going up higher than what they already are!

If anyone has any suggestions or any idea how much it might run me out of pocket I would appreciate it!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Just got an 01' TA, Sunset Orange Metallic, just beautiful... had it for a week and someone took a key to the car... no way that it could have been someone scrapping against the car or anything... went all the way down to the sheetmetal on the rear passenger fender.

Question is if anyone has any idea how much it might cost to get it reworked a little. Trying to determine if it is worth reporting to insurance to have them take care of it, only reason I haven't yet is because I am afraid of rates going up higher than what they already are!

If anyone has any suggestions or any idea how much it might run me out of pocket I would appreciate it!
scratches like that u can fill urself and try to ignore it (also buff it after help it blend) but its gonna be a good $100-$200 im not even joking u gotta respray the whole fender so probably more then $200 but seriously I see keyed firebirds/camaros all the time if i catch some *** doing that **** to mine its as we call it HAMMER time for him
Old 04-25-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's just one panel you're looking at 200, 300-350 if it requires blending (black cars, etc). I say if the damage minus the deductible is less than $200 you're best off paying it yourself.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Trojan35
If it's just one panel you're looking at 200, 300-350 if it requires blending (black cars, etc). I say if the damage minus the deductible is less than $200 you're best off paying it yourself.
yep, **** insurance.. if someone keys all my panels real bad ill go insurance but usualy i leave it or fix it myself on my cars so when someone decides to really **** it up new paitn job time
Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

I'd go get a couple of estimates on getting it repainted, AFAIK a vandalism claim won't affect your rates (the wifes Jeep got $2k+ claim for hail damage, and no change in rates)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

vandalism claims dont raise rates?! if thats true. i am reporting the key mark on my ride ASAP.

also. the passenger side of my car was keyed pretty hard along all 3 body panels and i was quoted a lot higher than 300 for the fix. so... id definetely double check and get some quotes.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

call your insurance company and ask if rates would go up in that case, they say no, then you go get it written on paper so you have proof, then report it
Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no useful input on this matter, but I have to add that I really feel sorry for you. Any idea who did it?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks dude. The crap people do to other people's cars never ceases to amaze me. Good luck w/ the fix.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Same thing happened to mine. It's maroon metallic, within a month of having it, it was keyed all the way down the passenger side. Luckily it didn't go all the way through the clearcoat so I was able to wetsand it and buff it. I got most of it out. Still sucks though. Sorry to hear that dude.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SaintNJ
vandalism claims dont raise rates?!
It depends on the state, and the company, with mine it doesn't, you might check with your company
Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Teching In

9 tiems out of 10 rates will not increase. This is considered a comprehensive claim, so just your comp ded applies. Repaint an entire panel (which i suggest coudl cost anywehre from $200-400 depending on labor rates in your area. I defintely suggst that on SOM paint instead of blending to do it correctly. But if its not to bad just blending that area will work.

I'd seen an entire side of a car keyed before and can cost up to and over $1000!

Oh and I am an insurance adjuster just to let you know
Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for input guys!

As for who did it, not 100% sure, alls we know is it virtually showed up overnight. Went to the track and thought could have been someone there but after considering how deep this one is and that we never left the car and the wife was behind me the entire time in our GTP she would have seen it and me and my brother-in-law would have easily heard this one. Next thought was maybe it could have been the brother-in-law throwing his back pack in the back seat and just not being careful, but again, would have heard this... Have shown it to a couple friends who paint cars and another who had his BMW keyed a few months back also, they say hand downs it was done by a key. They said the person who did it too really must have forced their key into the paint and possibly even mess up their key, it goes down through the clearcoat/paint/prime on the car. Have already tried to use stuff to blend it but the stuff is just too deep I guess.

Gonna take it too a shop and get a quote, don't wanna do any touch up paint or anything on it myself, if its $200, I guess I can settle for that, just means I gotta wait a bit before I can start the modding fun!

Quick Reply: Someone took a key to the car...