Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

T/A A4 Shifter Boot/Knob Mod Write-Up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh, I like the look of the short shifter.. Wish we could get it about 2" farther south..
Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I found the adapter guys.

http://www.cau-llc.com/cgi-bin/webst...=2748836_22065
Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by djlackore
I found the adapter guys.

cau-llc
That company isn't a sponsor... but we do have a sponsor that carries it and for a lot less money.

This should be it:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1860
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

yeah i just saw them at the ws6 store i am getting that one..haha
Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

sorry to get off topic but 1QUIKWS6, where did you get your floormats? or did you have to take them somewhere to get them custom embroidered with all those logos?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

They were custom made by CarMotorsports. I picked the logos I wanted, gave them a drawing of logo sizes and dimensional positions on the mat.

Set ran around $275 for all (4) - the rear mats are just plain though as you really can't see them anyway once in the car with the rollcage and so on...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
They were custom made by CarMotorsports. I picked the logos I wanted, gave them a drawing of logo sizes and dimensional positions on the mat.

Set ran around $275 for all (4) - the rear mats are just plain though as you really can't see them anyway once in the car with the rollcage and so on...
$275?!?! id remove them from the car before somebody put even clean shoes on them! they look really good though!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Exactly! I only install them once I get to the car shows for presentation. During driving I use the factory mats
Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

wise!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like to add to this awesome thread! BIG PROPS to 1QUIKWS6. I used your thread kind of as a guide. Since you went 3/4" on yours, I tested the waters on a 1" cut. It came out great! Here are plenty more pics to help those on modding your shifter by one full inch:

As you can see, here is the same factory shifter from my 1995 Bird with a 4L60E (same type of shifter that 1QUIKWS6 also modded).

I followed 1QUIKWS6's instructions and when he means BE CAREFUL not to cut that little white plastic shifter plunger, you better believe it! This is a delicate procedure for sure. First thing I did was mask off a line where I was going to make the 1" cuts downward. I did this for the front side AND rear of the shifter. I used the recommended carbide cutting wheel on my rotary tool. It took 2+ hours but that's only because you have to be VERY careful when making your cuts. I measured down 1" and made a little cut mark:

FACTORY (no cutting yet)

Now here comes the fun part.. Be patient and it will pay off. I simply used the tape as the edge of my "cut line". Here, you can see where I measured off 1" and made the necessary cuts:

I repeated the process on the part of the shifter that faces the dash (thank goodness my dash and seats were out). It made it a little easier to maneuver around inside my car:

I then measured 1" down and cut all the way around the shifter. Here is what you are left with (a big white plastic plunger sticking out):

I measured the correct distance from the top of the metal (measuring upwards about 1.4 millimeters) and marked it to be cut. Again, I used simple tape to mark my cut line and used my rotary tool to chop it off to the correct length..

Here is the end result after all the cuts (unfinished at this point.. be sure to knock out any metal burrs or sharp edges with a small file):

It helps to use a decent sized flat head screw driver to hold the plastic plunger down while filing the top portion of the metal shifter:

I masked off the area and taped up the white plastic plunger.. Any exposed bare metal is going to be painted to keep the rust monster from attacking:

So, here is the BEFORE:

And here is the AFTER (ONE full inch is the limit. The plastic plunger begins to taper down at 1 1/16". You will not be able to use your "set screws" after that):

Last edited by officermartinez; 06-02-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now that my shifter **** has arrived, here is what it all looks like, mounted up on a M6 center console:

Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

awesome! does the WS6 store adapter work for all shift *****? because it says it only works with a 2 inch with tail. But if you have a boot it doesnt matter and it works will all standard ***** for M6 fbody's correct?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rbaksi
awesome! does the WS6 store adapter work for all shift *****? because it says it only works with a 2 inch with tail. But if you have a boot it doesnt matter and it works will all standard ***** for M6 fbody's correct?
Well, the **** that I purchased uses a standard 16mm x 1.5 threading / tapped hole. I would imagine that the WS6 store sells the same "standard" threaded ****. It's basically a universal type threading. Just make sure it has a 16mm x 1.5 tapped hole. I purchased my MBA type adapter from a sponsor here (After Thoughts Auto).
Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good job!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mook99ta
good job!
Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting my dash and seats all mounted in to take the final "finished product" photograph.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Nice work there!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want to do this so bad, but am scared too.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

What I am about to post probably won't help you on your bare A4 console mounted shifter but if you had a boot or a M6 center console, here is a little twist on the install that will eliminate the play in your shifter when performing the MBA adapter mod.. Here is what you will need:

1. A small drill bit. I used a 1/16 drill bit.
2. Some small diameter wire. I used 16 gauge "soft" brass wire.
3. 3/4" outer diameter (5/8" inner diameter) rubber tubing.

I purchased all of the above materials (minus the drill bit) at Lowes for less than 5 dollars.

What I did was completely remove those allen wrench / hex head screws off of the adapter. Next, safely drill a very small from one end of the open hex screw hole all the way through the inner plastic plunger where it comes out the other side on the opposite hex screw hole. Be careful as this is a more delicate type procedure. Now, you should be left will a perfect 1/16 hole drilled through the middle of your inner plastic plunger.

Simply cut off the desired length of your wire. I deburred the ends to elimate the "pinch marks" on the wire. With your MBA adapter in place, simply insert your wire through the open hole. Fold each end down. Now, take your 3/4" hose and cut it to your desired length and slip it down over your MBA adapter. This is going to be a tight fit. It took me about 10 minutes to get the tube to fit over the adapter (with the wire folded down). You no longer need those little set screws. The tubing also helps hold the shift boot in place! I did use some liquid wrench to "help" the tubing slip over the MBA adapter. Even then, it was STILL a challenge. That tubing will not budge! This completely took all of the "play" out of my adapter and overall, helped strengthen the MBA modification!

The end result should look like this:

(NOTICE THE CAN OF LIQUID WRENCH. IT HELPS, TRUST ME!)

Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys -

I'm in the middle of this modification, but I have a question -

After completing the mod, what keeps me from simply sliding the adapter/**** combination off of the shifter?

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by strikeone
Hey guys -

I'm in the middle of this modification, but I have a question -

After completing the mod, what keeps me from simply sliding the adapter/**** combination off of the shifter?

Thanks in advance...
I sent you a PM..

Quick Reply: T/A A4 Shifter Boot/Knob Mod Write-Up!