Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior smell, had a t-top leak, now how to...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior smell, had a t-top leak, now how to...

I'm working on a car right now that has an interior smell. It came from the fact that the car sat for a while with a leaky t-top and the carpet got wet. I have the car totally gutted right now to the point where I took the carpet out so it could dry out. All that's in the car now is the driver's seat.

The car still has somewhat of a smell to it I think in the drivers seat and some in the carpet as well. (Other seats probably smell as well, the rest of the seats are airing out in my garage now.) Is there any tricks to getting the smell out of the carpet and the seats? I've had one person tell me to wash the seats and I'm not wanting to have the seats and wet. (As in like soaked from washing and having to let them dry out over time.)

I was thinking about maybe going to one of those place with the shampooer's and seeing if it could maybe suck enough of the water out when it's washing the seats and carpet so that it wouldn't take all that long to dry out.

Thanks!

Ted
Old 04-28-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the leak was above you from the top seals, you might want to investigate the headliner as that is similar to your carpet and would hold water. That's good that you've already done so much because I sure as hell would not want to breathe in mold when I go driving.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

a good way to get the smell out of the carpet, is to "shampoo" it with a solution of water and baking soda .. then suck it dry with a wet vac, and let it air dry ..

since it is out of the car, you can soak the carpet pretty good, without hurting anything, plus it will dry completely..

and, as posted above .. check the headliner for mildew also ..
Old 04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a good point about the headliner. I'll have to look into it to see if it's causing the smell to occur as well.

I'll have to see how things go this weekend and hopefully I'll get it all cleaned up.

Ted
Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gipraw
a good way to get the smell out of the carpet, is to "shampoo" it with a solution of water and baking soda .. then suck it dry with a wet vac, and let it air dry ..

since it is out of the car, you can soak the carpet pretty good, without hurting anything, plus it will dry completely..

and, as posted above .. check the headliner for mildew also ..
The big thing for me isn't the carpet getting wet and drying it out but rather the matt under the carpet. (or whatever that stuff is called that's under the carpet) That stuff soaks the water up like a sponge and it's hard to get the water back out of it. Maybe I'll try and seperate the two and lay the matt down into the car first and then put the carpet back in.

Thanks for ideas guys!

Ted

Quick Reply: Interior smell, had a t-top leak, now how to...