Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

about to ICE...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and, i would highly reccomend you do not polish your car (scratch x for example) without putting a sealant on it
Old 05-06-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

The way that detailing a car works...

you first need to get rid of imperfections, then you need to polish the paint, then seal it with a wax. You accomplish this with these products: cleaner/swirl remover/scratch remover/compound (blah blah...) then you need a polish. This is where all of your shine comes from...no matter what anyone tells you...this is where all of your shine comes from. NOT THE WAX. Then after you have your shine to where you want it you seal it in with a protective layer of wax. This layer protects the shine but also the paint from the elements. Anything other than this and you are wasting time and money.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

I used ICE on my car the other day. It has never had anything other than Zaino in the last 5 years. I have to say, I was impressed with ICE. It was easy on and off and left a Great shine! Actually better than Zaino on the black around my headlights. I did go over it later (after the pics) with Zaino Z6 just to help repel the dust, I'm not sure if the ICE Spray does that or not as I didn't buy that...

These pics have not been altered....

Old 05-06-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by meissenation
My 2 cents on the whole discussion: In all honesty, it all depends on how much time you want to spend with your car. Personally, I go to weekly cruise-ins every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That's not including the actual car shows, those are just the casual cruise-in and socialize with different groups. Every single time I show up, I have a layer of dust on my car from the road and what not, so I'm going to have to do some detailing. Way I see it, it's going to take me about 15 minutes to QD (Quick Detail) spray my car, and it'll take me 20 minutes to Ice it. Both of those times would be after I wipe it down with the california duster. So if I'm going to spend 15 minutes, I might as well take the extra 5 minutes to give it that nice "freshly waxed" look that the Ice gives compared to the "clean paint" look at that the QD gives. I couldn't really care less that the Ice doesn't last, because the way I'm comparing it atleast, no wax truely is going to last without maintenance. Even Zaino. Sure, you're not applying Zaino all the time, but you're following up with Z6 all the time. In this case, instead of having to do the Zaino in the first place, you're just cutting out that part and doing the Ice all the time. It's definitely greasy, but it does buff out nice. And let me tell you, it works GREAT on the rubber and plastics! I wiped it onto my steering wheel today and about died at how shiny it was. I applied it to my seat covers, and I sat down and slipped a little bit because it was actually slick haha. I don't care if that's not necessarilly a good thing, but it's still impressive. As for shine, no wax truely gives it the "shine" as I can pull out my pictures of my freshly claybarred car with nothing ontop of the paint and it's shinning and reflecting perfectly. All in the eye of the beholder, all in personal preference, and all in how much time you want to take.
Are you using the Ice quick detailer or something else? The same goes for me, every Friday I am going to want my car to look pristine, and am no longer driving it if rain is in the forecast now that I have a garage for it. I think the Ice would work great for me. I am just afraid of it removing any polishing work i'm going to do.

Has it been proven that it does in fact "clean" other products off your car?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Are you using the Ice quick detailer or something else? The same goes for me, every Friday I am going to want my car to look pristine, and am no longer driving it if rain is in the forecast now that I have a garage for it. I think the Ice would work great for me. I am just afraid of it removing any polishing work i'm going to do.

Has it been proven that it does in fact "clean" other products off your car?
I generally use Meguiar's Quick Detail spray, but I've enjoyed the look that Ice gave so much that I might give the Ice QD spray a try.

The term polish has been used really loosely since Zaino started using it, or atleast that's when I noticed it. Up until Zaino mixed things up by calling their product a "polish" it was always my understanding that a true polish had abrasives in it, took very thin layers of "dead paint" off your car, and helped remove impuraties from the paint. Obviously, Zaino doesn't do any of that.. so why they call it a polish is beyond me. Same with Ice, I haven't seen any "polishing" characteristics from it, I'd call it more of topper product than one of the middle step products. That's just my personal opinion though, others might differ.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I waxed then iced, looked fkn awesome on black. But hey they make 800 million waxes and junk so we can all have our own opinions.

Quick Reply: about to ICE...