Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

about to ICE...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to ICE...

I mopre or less detailed my car like 2 weeks ago... wash, clay, polish with scratchx.
I havent washed it since and there is a HEAVY pollen build-up on it currerntly. I bought some of this turtle wax ICE stuff and was wondering the best way to apply it...
I figure ill just wash my car tomm, apply the ICE then put a coat of meguired was over that...

Sound good?

Also is there going to be much of a bad effect from not washing it for so long with the heavy poillen build up? its the end of the semester so I havent had a whole latta free time.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Regular foam applicator pad and clean microfiber.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrPongoSS
Regular foam applicator pad and clean microfiber.
cool the ice came with these...

Im asking more alogn the lines of steps. SHould I ICE then wax, or wax then ICE, or is the ICE work as a wax?

Also, how many coats are you guys using?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I HOPE you waxed your car after using Scratch X.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wax then ice DEFINATELY
Old 05-04-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

*shaking head* this was disgused in a thread not long ago about this product. I suggest you search and read what people were saying about it. There is no point in putting more that one coat on, read the bottle...it tells you right on there. It says it's a "wax" but i would not trust it as a final step for my paint.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in the same boat though not as far along. Currently Scratch X'ing the car.

When I get to the point when its ready for ICE, which the consensus seems to be is not a very long lasting "wax", what LONG lasting wax would you use first? That would give protection, while the ice brings the shine.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the ice taking off some of the wax?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
*shaking head* this was disgused in a thread not long ago about this product. I suggest you search and read what people were saying about it. There is no point in putting more that one coat on, read the bottle...it tells you right on there. It says it's a "wax" but i would not trust it as a final step for my paint.
tsk...tsk...tsk... I did not realize my concerns about what I put on my car was so wrong. I have read that particular thread and still had some questions. I posted this thread so that I could ask these questions directly. Anyway...

As it seems as it is not loing lasting, would it be advisable (or jsut plain stupid) to seal the ICE in with a coat of wax?
Really I would just like to know if I should wax before or after the ICE.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Launching!

i second that ice before or after wax
Old 05-05-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

After, it may eat up some waxes maybe? I'm sure that thing had mild cleaners since it's meant to be a "one-man-band" topcoat. Before, it may do a bit to add gloss and shine, but thn so does any other good "PURE" polish, which you have to seal anyway, but were planning to wax anyway in this case...

I'm not knocking it... I have a bottle... I think it's cool maybe to use in a pinch, when there's little time to go through several steps.

The fact that it adds shine is undisputable, plus it's safe in the sunlight and on overspills. The one thing I worry about is its quality, its LONG-TERM effect on paint... I wish there was independant professional testing for it.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

sucks not having a garage doesnt it! I hate pollen AND I have a black car!
Old 05-05-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

it does suck. the kicker is there is a pollen spewing, flowering tree literally 2 feet from where I park my car in my driveway. And the wind always seems to blow towards my car.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

yah im always covered also
Old 05-05-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The air in my area is saturated in pollen, even in my garage I still come in the morning to find a nice layer of it...
Old 05-05-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Thing i don't get is that all these people have used it, and they are giving their experiences, it's super oily, it doesn't last for ****. The bottle says one coat only....but people are bending over backwards to try and get this stuff to "work." You can't "seal" the ice in with anythign else, a wax, i proper one, will not adhere to the Ice. Therefore, my suggestion: stay away from Ice, there a many many better things out there. To get a shine that everyone wantns does not come from a wax anyway.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
Thing i don't get is that all these people have used it, and they are giving their experiences, it's super oily, it doesn't last for ****. The bottle says one coat only....but people are bending over backwards to try and get this stuff to "work." You can't "seal" the ice in with anythign else, a wax, i proper one, will not adhere to the Ice. Therefore, my suggestion: stay away from Ice, there a many many better things out there. To get a shine that everyone wantns does not come from a wax anyway.
What about wax before the ice though...
Old 05-05-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Or a sealant? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't come off...
Old 05-05-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just helped my friend clean up his Z28 today. I didn't get pictures unfortunately, but we clay barred it, put on a coat of nxt, then did the turtle wax ice. The results were amazing. The hugger orange was definitely after we got done with it.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents on the whole discussion: In all honesty, it all depends on how much time you want to spend with your car. Personally, I go to weekly cruise-ins every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That's not including the actual car shows, those are just the casual cruise-in and socialize with different groups. Every single time I show up, I have a layer of dust on my car from the road and what not, so I'm going to have to do some detailing. Way I see it, it's going to take me about 15 minutes to QD (Quick Detail) spray my car, and it'll take me 20 minutes to Ice it. Both of those times would be after I wipe it down with the california duster. So if I'm going to spend 15 minutes, I might as well take the extra 5 minutes to give it that nice "freshly waxed" look that the Ice gives compared to the "clean paint" look at that the QD gives. I couldn't really care less that the Ice doesn't last, because the way I'm comparing it atleast, no wax truely is going to last without maintenance. Even Zaino. Sure, you're not applying Zaino all the time, but you're following up with Z6 all the time. In this case, instead of having to do the Zaino in the first place, you're just cutting out that part and doing the Ice all the time. It's definitely greasy, but it does buff out nice. And let me tell you, it works GREAT on the rubber and plastics! I wiped it onto my steering wheel today and about died at how shiny it was. I applied it to my seat covers, and I sat down and slipped a little bit because it was actually slick haha. I don't care if that's not necessarilly a good thing, but it's still impressive. As for shine, no wax truely gives it the "shine" as I can pull out my pictures of my freshly claybarred car with nothing ontop of the paint and it's shinning and reflecting perfectly. All in the eye of the beholder, all in personal preference, and all in how much time you want to take.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Teching In

ice is so over rated. it doesnt last long at all. the best part about it is that you can use it in sunlight and it doesnt matter if u hit the black peices of plastic/rubber. just use a better wax that is prover to last longer! zaino, meguires nxt or gold..blah blah blah

Quick Reply: about to ICE...