Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Any other options for a door crack on T/A?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the stress is due to the material wanting to shrink there. Over time it wll eventually crack. Mine are cracked 2 inches on both sides. If you line both sides up at the same height, you will see a pie shaped gap. The fact that there is a gap tells me the pieces are trying to pull in seperate directions. I'm thinking it must have been a flaw in GM's mold or something. Well, that other thread has another (better) explanation and it also comes down to a flaw in GM's design.

If you don't have cracks yet or have small ones, then by all means add some material to the underside to give it stregnth. If it's strong enough it will be put under tension, but hopefully not enough to break the reinforcement you added.

I'm thinking of bonding some steel under the crack to at least make then the same height again. There will still be a wedged shaped gap, but it will be less noticable.

Like 382WS6 said, the most cost effective fix is to straighten it out and then cover it in some kind of material. I was thinking vinyl or some kind of suede, but water might screw it up. I'm sure there's somethink that would work.

If you don't want to cover it, then you can fill in the gap (after reinforcing it) with epoxy and then texture it before it completely hardens, then add some touchup paint. I don't think I would try that myself, but I'm sur there are pros out there that can do it and make it look good.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-17-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Any other options for a door crack on T/A?