Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Do you want you car Lowered?
Yes, I want my car slammed!
63.90%
No, I want stock height so I don't bottom out.
36.10%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Low or Go Home. I can't wait till I can afford some decent shocks/struts so I can lower my car. I'm half considering holding out for air ride. I've had 3 lowered trucks and you just have to be aware that you're low and know when you could scrape. If you get a decent spring and shock package it shouldn't ride much worse than stock.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:11 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cop Car
if you dont like it go look at your garage queen
Will do.

There aren't many things that look more bad *** than a lowered TA.

And to be honest with you, my car rides better now than it did stock. LG did a hell of a job with the valving on these coil overs.

No more rattle trap clunky/squeeky stock suspension. No more massive body roll....

The only thing I hear are my rod ends on the suspension components. And as long as it benefits me in the twisties, I don't care.

Not that I can hear any of that stuff over my exhaust though.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lowered with Pro-Kits on the front and heater hose mod in the back (Koni DA's on all four corners).

I live in what I believe to be THE WORST road conditions, Los Angeles CA! My car is a daily driver with 140K + on the odometer...

I've never scraped anything but the front spoiler of the car (which doesn't hurt anything). I have BMR Boxed subframes and MAC Mid-Lengths w/ORY-Pipe with no problems...

You just have to drive SMART...
Old 05-13-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

New Jersey here....I've got 1" Hotchkis springs and I scrape my Y pipe all the time as well as my cutout.

Oh well, doesn't bother me too much....As for the front end, just avoid anything that is steep or if you must, turn at a good angle and you can avoid the air deflector getting scratched
Old 05-13-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people do not want their cars lowered so I added a poll to this thread. From the threads I have read I thought almost everyone except me wanted to slam their fbody's. Let's see.

Thanks for posting guys, all except the smartass who posted "gfx are for *******". No need for that crap!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

daily driver in Maryland with the Pro-kit.

I don't have gfx, but it's like everyone else said... just be careful.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

I lowered mine about 8 months ago (DMS springs, Bilstien HD shocks), and last week did LT's and 3" ORY. I don't scrape anywhere while driving unless it's like a 10 degree incline, and i hit it doing 35+. I have to take it slow when going over speed tables (big, wide speed bumps) ans I always rub the plastic air dam under the car when pulling into a parking spot too far that has a concrete stopper. It rubs against it until I pull up further, then it pops over it with a snap. (then again when pulling out) That is the only thing that bugs me about being lowered. (oh, also sometimes it's a bitch to get a jack under it.)
Old 05-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Where are you guys driving that everyone has problems with speedbumps? Unless you are trolling the mall parking lots or school lots, around here there are not any speedbumps. And thanks to modern civilization here in Ohio, we have these things called paved roads. I am lowered 2" with Sportlines I drive about the same amount of time on rural roads as I do in town and the only thing that scrapes is the front tunnel brace for my Spohn torque arm when I float over a bump too fast and even that is rare.

There are about 5 parking lots in town that I could not get in if I wanted to, due to the approach angle. So I AVOID them and that causes...OMG!...NO SCRAPES! Wow!

Overall the occasional scrape due to me going too fast is obviously worth it for the stance and any handling benefits it might add.

Sorry, just had to get my $.02 in.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Hey, I understand your delimna, but once you do it, you get it, and you just stare at your own car. It is definitely understandable not to. It's just priorities. Overall function, or absolute appearance and performance. Neither is right, just better to the ones in that camp.

I put DMS springs on mine for about a 2" drop along with good shocks, Bilstein HD's and no, it doesn't ride like a Caddy, but then I don't want a Caddy. I'm 39 and I want it to look its best, and corner on rails. It does that FAR better than stock.

Once you do this its like you can't stand it the other way.

Its like having a nice girlfriend who is cute, but doesn't wear makeup or sexy clothes. Once she has makeup done by a pro, and puts on clothes made to hug every curve and detail that sweet frame....then you just can't go back to the farm. Its worth some attitude and quirks from her, since you just like to look at her and see how she has improved...

If you stick to a conservative drop, it looks great, handles great, and you learn how to best drive YOUR car, not like every other Joe...

If you appreciate your ride, you don't drive like such an idiot that you can't slow down to avoid some potholes and stuff. Of course we all hit stuff, but thats the world we live in....

I do wonder what kind of tires we'll need in Heaven on streets paved with gold....
no potholes, no speedbumps, no speed limits, no hazzards,....OH yeah....
Old 05-13-2006, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

I just dropped my ride about 1.5" with the pro kit last weekend. I replaced the shocks and struts since I was in there doing my springs. What a night and day difference. To me it was a subtle enough of a drop that it doesn't really scrape any more than it used to, you just have to drive your car w/a little common sense. I love the way it looks, and love the way it handles now. Although it's a little bit more of a rough ride, I wouldn't want it any other way now. I did mine mostly for appearance after I bought c5 rims w/lower profile tires, and I hated the gap. The performance I got surprised me, and I'm happy.

Last edited by rxmxsh; 05-13-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

My car is just lowered a little bit. I love it. It gets noticed and I get good comments. Driving is about the same, I only scrape my air dam on my driveway, just got LT headers, hope they don't scrape.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carefully.

You ever drive behind a dump truck and see those big brake boosters in the rear, round and huge. Once ran over one in the highway at 65, shattered my y-pipe and pulled it right off the header. Didn't see it till it was too late, car in front of me swerved, I couldn't in time.

4 years later, went over an oversized speedbump at 2mph at an angle, same thing, took the y-pipe right off the collector.

I wouldn't trade the handling for anything though, especially when you have properly matched shocks to springs; I run revalved Bilsteins mated to an Eibach prokit.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Hey XtinctZ28, come over to NE Ohio, it's a whole different world over here. Especially the Youngstown, Akron, Warren area.

I just installed factory WS6 springs on my car, and it's low enough for me. Especially for the Ohio roads, which are just as bad as Michigan and PA roads. But I don't have any problems with the speedbumps in my area as long as I go slow. Entrances to stores and plazas I have to be careful with on some of them though.

Last edited by Chaotic Firebird; 05-13-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

I'm lowered about 2" and just slightly changed my dirving style. Just be careful pulling in and out od parking lots because alot of the time thats where you scrape the most. I kind of position the lowest point of my pipes around the lowest point of a slant and if it scrapes it scrapes, no big deal. Once you own a lowered car and appretiate it, you'll see that stance is EVERYTHING.

I'm really opposed to the factory ground effects on camaros.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cop Car
im glad my car isnt lowered, wheels fit nicely in the fender wells and i dont have to drive like there is a cork shoved up my ***, plus my car rides nicely, driving it 20,000 miles a year i dont want loud exhaust, or a choppy ride and i dont want to have to worry about scraping anytime i drive it. so it has stock muffler and stock springs on it and its going to stay that way. if you dont like it go look at your garage queen
Buy a civic and you won't have to worry about the gas or insurance either.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

learn2drive?

I have seen people that bottom out suv's because they don't understand how to drive over a speedbump....
Old 05-13-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
It sounds to me like lowered cars are like a chick with too-tight shoes...Looks great but is a bitch to live with.
^^^ Agreed and im only down an inch
Old 05-13-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm on a prokit with about 2 1/4ins of clearance on the driverside y-pipe and I rarely drag it. The only time it does drag is on big speed bumps. You will be surprised what you can get by with.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koncrete
learn2drive?

I have seen people that bottom out suv's because they don't understand how to drive over a speedbump....
Hmmm...Let's see, I've been driving since 1983. The majority of folks here (as shown by a recent poll here) were not even BORN when I started driving. I've also driven legally on the autobahn at over 160 mph and drove 50k miles per year for 8 years at a former job so I think I know how to drive.

I see by the pole results so far that while the majority of folks here do want their cars lowered there is still a large percentage, 37% as the poll stands now, that do not. I'm wondering if those numbers can correlate to the age of the person responding. Just curious if it is only us +30 folks that don't want our fbody's lowered.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Mines stock height and the LTs only scrape when I take a bump stupid

Quick Reply: Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???