Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Do you want you car Lowered?
Yes, I want my car slammed!
63.90%
No, I want stock height so I don't bottom out.
36.10%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
Buy a civic and you won't have to worry about the gas or insurance either.
is that what you are doing?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cop Car
is that what you are doing?
Huh? no. I drive the car for whats its meant for.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

so you arent selling it for a Civic? must have gone for one of those Prius hybrids huh. have fun with your pimpin slammed Prius
Old 05-14-2006, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

It's funny how many of the guys who like their slammed suspension talk about not being able to get into all these parking lots in town no matter how hard they try....losing their Y Pipes...scraping on speed bumps (I would HATE to be seen by onlookers while my car was scraping over a speed bump in a parking lot or in some communities- how embarassing! Really!) etc. etc. but yet they hold on to the glory they feel they have over Quote: 4x4 F-Bodies :End Quote
I don't mean that to sound all confrontational - and certainly not to any specific posters in this thread mind you - I'm just wondering WHY people who list all these problems that keep many of us from NOT lowering our rides don't mind these problems they relate here with their lowered cars.
This is coming from someone admittedly on the fence. I'd like the look of less wheel gap - i can appreciate it - but driving my car daily...well... I'm on the fence. These cars are already low ya' know lol.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach 5.7
It's funny how many of the guys who like their slammed suspension talk about not being able to get into all these parking lots in town no matter how hard they try....losing their Y Pipes...scraping on speed bumps (I would HATE to be seen by onlookers while my car was scraping over a speed bump in a parking lot or in some communities- how embarassing! Really!) etc. etc. but yet they hold on to the glory they feel they have over Quote: 4x4 F-Bodies :End Quote
I don't mean that to sound all confrontational - and certainly not to any specific posters in this thread mind you - I'm just wondering WHY people who list all these problems that keep many of us from NOT lowering our rides don't mind these problems they relate here with their lowered cars.
This is coming from someone admittedly on the fence. I'd like the look of less wheel gap - i can appreciate it - but driving my car daily...well... I'm on the fence. These cars are already low ya' know lol.

My car is pretty low and trouble free...
Old 05-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Staging Lane

That's a great selling point for the Mac's Demonbird - I have them also. Unfortunately, your photobucket hosted pic isn't showing in your previous post. I'd like to see your troublefree stance :-)
Old 05-14-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really have not noticed much ground clearance difference at all after the 1.5" drop from my pro-kit. It rides A LOT better after the swap with the revalved bilstein shocks. Handles like a sports car should and it looks a hell of a lot better. One the best things I have done to my car.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

have the SLP Level one kit, (about 1" drop), and I have had NO clearance issues anywhere that I have gone. I have Jethot LT's and SLP Sub-frame connectors.

Your poll in this thread does not give people the appropriate options for what you are looking for thus is not really useful.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Hmmm...Let's see, I've been driving since 1983. The majority of folks here (as shown by a recent poll here) were not even BORN when I started driving. I've also driven legally on the autobahn at over 160 mph and drove 50k miles per year for 8 years at a former job so I think I know how to drive.

I see by the pole results so far that while the majority of folks here do want their cars lowered there is still a large percentage, 37% as the poll stands now, that do not. I'm wondering if those numbers can correlate to the age of the person responding. Just curious if it is only us +30 folks that don't want our fbody's lowered.

and your point being?

I have been driving lowered cars for a while as well, I RARELY scrape bottom... I am months away from your 30+ club, I drive a soon to be lowered F-Body and my previous beater was a Supra that was lowered... I stand by the fact that you can drive a lowered car over a speed bump WITHOUT scraping, with a little forethought and care...

I guess I have to brag about my driving history like you, I have driven a WIDE veriety of vehicles both military and civilian... From Semi's all the way down to the semi-automatic volkswagen's (a vehicle with 2 pedals and you still have to shift through all 4 forward gears with no "clutch" pedal), humvee's to honda's... My dad has owned an auto shop that has been open since before I was born, I grew up there learning to drive random vehicles... My dad also owned and operated a federal mogul dragster so I got a bit of seat time towing large trailors as well... Does that mean I know everything about driving, hell no...
Old 05-14-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koncrete
and your point being?

I have been driving lowered cars for a while as well, I RARELY scrape bottom... I am months away from your 30+ club, I drive a soon to be lowered F-Body and my previous beater was a Supra that was lowered... I stand by the fact that you can drive a lowered car over a speed bump WITHOUT scraping, with a little forethought and care...

I guess I have to brag about my driving history like you, I have driven a WIDE veriety of vehicles both military and civilian... From Semi's all the way down to the semi-automatic volkswagen's (a vehicle with 2 pedals and you still have to shift through all 4 forward gears with no "clutch" pedal), humvee's to honda's... My dad has owned an auto shop that has been open since before I was born, I grew up there learning to drive random vehicles... My dad also owned and operated a federal mogul dragster so I got a bit of seat time towing large trailors as well... Does that mean I know everything about driving, hell no...
If your first post was as detailed as your first paragraph on this post I would not have jumped on you but posting "learn2drive" is a real helpful comment isin't it? I'm just a bit tired of the one word smartass remarks some folks make here when someone asks a legitimate question.

Let me ask you this, If we met in person, say at a car show and I asked you how you drive around with your fbody lowered without bottoming out would you say to my face "You need to learn to drive" if the answer is no then why do it here? If the answer is yes then your just not a nice person. My gut says your probably a nice guy and would not say "learn2drive" to my face.

Last edited by Mike02Z; 05-14-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ws6Extreme
Your poll in this thread does not give people the appropriate options for what you are looking for thus is not really useful.
I hear what you're saying but I was really starting to think it was only me that did not want to lower my car and that I was missing something. After seeing a few posts of others saying they did not want to lower their cars for similar reasons to mine I threw the poll up. After another page of replys I started wondering if it was just guys in my age group or older that did not want their cars lowered but I think we have had enough polls of "how old are you" and I certainly did not want to offend anyone by bringing age into this. The poll is useful to me as I see there is still a good percentage of people who do not want their cars lowered for various reasons.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Hmmm...Let's see, I've been driving since 1983. The majority of folks here (as shown by a recent poll here) were not even BORN when I started driving. I've also driven legally on the autobahn at over 160 mph and drove 50k miles per year for 8 years at a former job so I think I know how to drive.

I see by the pole results so far that while the majority of folks here do want their cars lowered there is still a large percentage, 37% as the poll stands now, that do not. I'm wondering if those numbers can correlate to the age of the person responding. Just curious if it is only us +30 folks that don't want our fbody's lowered.
Sounds like someone is looking for excuses not to lower your car? If you don't want to, just say so. No need to bring age/driving experience into this.

Everytime you post a pic of a non-lowered f-body, unless its old and the suspension is sagging, you WILL get the 4x4 comments. Why? because it looks like it thanks to the huge wheel gap! Sorry, but thats just the way it is.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
Sounds like someone is looking for excuses not to lower your car? If you don't want to, just say so. No need to bring age/driving experience into this.

Everytime you post a pic of a non-lowered f-body, unless its old and the suspension is sagging, you WILL get the 4x4 comments. Why? because it looks like it thanks to the huge wheel gap! Sorry, but thats just the way it is.
Ah, I brought driving experience into it because Koncrete responded with "learn2drive".

I do like the look of a subtle drop. Maybe an inch or so but I do not like the look of the cars that have a major drop as they remind me of the lowrider cars and I don't like that look at all. I also was asking a serious question because my car bottoms out at lot and it is stock height so I wondered how the guys with lowered cars get around.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm lowered with sportlines and also have SLP LT's which are the lowwest hanging LT's made.Just have to be smart about driving,aviod pot holes as much as possible.Driveways and inclines have to be taken very slow at a angle.But it doesn't bottom out as much as you would think and i'm also from Mass and are roads pretty much just suck
BTLFEDSS
Old 05-14-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

sure, everyone loves the way the lowered f bodies look. but people are saying "yeah its not that big of a deal to drive around in my lowered car, i just have to take 5 minutes to pull into my driveway, i cant go to kroger to get my grocerys, only wal mart super center, i cant go to some resturants and i have to take a 10 minute detour every day i drive my car, but man its totaly worth it." yeah.. i just prefer to drive my car like a car, and not like something im afraid im going to break, if i wanted that i would have bought a turbo 4 cyl
Old 05-14-2006, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Cop Car, you aren't listening....everyone doesn't change to the extent you are talking about. Everyone has a different personality, and what does a stupid turbo 4 got to do with it?....nothing. In fact this is what hot rodding is all about. Doing things to our cars to improve them (as we believe it will), and measuring the outcomes, and value versus where it was to begin with.

There is only one speed bump I can't get over, and it is simply because it is nearly 6 inches high and 2 feet wide....I call it a wall foundation really. Standard bumps are no big deal. But the reality is your raving above shows ignorance (lack of knowledge) on the subject, informationally, and experientially.

Many of us care very much about our cars, and want them "just right". Others just have simpler needs. Both can be fine. But each will prefer his/her decision.

Bottom line is, I shop where I want, get in my driveway fine, and most definitely "think" about how, where, and when I am going to park my car in relation to others and the surroundings. If that sounds like too much work for you, don't do it, but don't insult someone for being a gearhead, hotrodder, doityourself, performance improvement nut.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TightSS
Cop Car, you aren't listening....everyone doesn't change to the extent you are talking about. Everyone has a different personality, and what does a stupid turbo 4 got to do with it?....nothing. In fact this is what hot rodding is all about. Doing things to our cars to improve them (as we believe it will), and measuring the outcomes, and value versus where it was to begin with.

There is only one speed bump I can't get over, and it is simply because it is nearly 6 inches high and 2 feet wide....I call it a wall foundation really. Standard bumps are no big deal. But the reality is your raving above shows ignorance (lack of knowledge) on the subject, informationally, and experientially.

Many of us care very much about our cars, and want them "just right". Others just have simpler needs. Both can be fine. But each will prefer his/her decision.

Bottom line is, I shop where I want, get in my driveway fine, and most definitely "think" about how, where, and when I am going to park my car in relation to others and the surroundings. If that sounds like too much work for you, don't do it, but don't insult someone for being a gearhead, hotrodder, doityourself, performance improvement nut.

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"sure, everyone loves the way the lowered f bodies look. but people are saying "yeah its not that big of a deal to drive around in my lowered car, i just have to take 5 minutes to pull into my driveway, i cant go to kroger to get my grocerys, only wal mart super center, i cant go to some resturants and i have to take a 10 minute detour every day i drive my car, but man its totaly worth it." yeah.. i just prefer to drive my car like a car, and not like something im afraid im going to break, if i wanted that i would have bought a turbo 4 cyl"

I do drive it like it's stolen, I just prefer to use my 06 Corolla to get groceries in. Again, some common sense and a lowered car is easy to drive without fear of breaking it.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

WHATS THE HEATER HOSE MOD IN THE BACK ??? WAS INTERESTED BEING AS I HAVE A STOCK 94Z AND HAVE PRO-KIT SPINGS AND WAS TRYING OT FIGURE OUT ON THE SHOCKS AND ETC.....

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD

Lowered with Pro-Kits on the front and heater hose mod in the back (Koni DA's on all four corners).

I live in what I believe to be THE WORST road conditions, Los Angeles CA! My car is a daily driver with 140K + on the odometer...

I've never scraped anything but the front spoiler of the car (which doesn't hurt anything). I have BMR Boxed subframes and MAC Mid-Lengths w/ORY-Pipe with no problems...

You just have to drive SMART...
Old 05-14-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry stupid caps button was on my bad!!!!!

Quick Reply: Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???