Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Sound Dampened my…..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hehe SS I wasn;t commenting on you Darkspoon was the one I was referring to

When I put in my 15s int he rear, I also went thru what you did, just I stopped at lining the backseat area. It helped a ton, though now with the modding i've done lol.. Im not too sure what else I could do to lessen the noise. On the highway in 5th you cant really carry a conversation, and in 6th you still have to speak pretty loud.

Though when you get random people asking that thing can;t be stock.. and the shitfaced grin I get whenever I decide to play alittle.

I think we all appreciate owners who try to better their rides and improving them one way or another, it isnt all about speed. I guess I was just a little ticked off when he was going to get rid of his car cause of the noise, and get a honda or bmw lol.

WIsh that stuff was heat resistant.. would line the undercarriage where the exhaust is for sure that might stop the rattles and so on,.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole both worlds things is exact why I wanted to do this mod - most "whiny pretty" girls will like the outside of my car and complain about not being able to carry on a conversation with their friends inside my car, on long trips, and I want to take my car on long trips - not the mercedes or bmw honda, altimas etc. That's why im leaving stock exhaust with maybe bigger piping and an e-cutout for when I want to hear noise. Like you said all we got to do is crack a window and everything is pretty much back to normal lol
Old 05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

I have about 250 sq ft. of Sound Insulation "FatMat" throughout the car, from Firewall to tailights 2 layers, 3 in some key areas, from floor to b pillar/roof, and winsheild frame, underside of hatch, outside behind the tail lights, etc....
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

correct link... secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Old 05-16-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
I have about 250 sq ft. of Sound Insulation "FatMat" throughout the car, from Firewall to tailights 2 layers, 3 in some key areas, from floor to b pillar/roof, and winsheild frame, underside of hatch, outside behind the tail lights, etc....

How's the sound like on the inside of the car? thats a lot of material!

This should be stickied!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

No rattle from the sound system, car's not done to say how much roadnoise is kept out...
Old 05-17-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

Well from my little bit of layering.. The 15s dont rattle anything. Which satifies all the loose change etc stuff that was mentioned.. I just put a single layer of man not roadkill.. but some other relatively cheap dampening material.. put one layer ont he hatch, which looks a lil tacky cause I have about half an inch or so of foil sticking otu around the interior plastic. Then I lined the entire back hatch and back of the license plater area and spare tire area.. and up over the tank, and around the rear seats area.

Though I think Im getting exhaust rattles or the rod/rod lcas rattling over bumps. Hard to tell, but im pretty sure it is a combo of both. As for lessening road noise.. shrugs... I dont have any dampening around the front seats area, but regardless the car seems pretty loud witht he new exhaust set-up.. I do want to pu the smallest plate on my borla, right now it has the largest open plate.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Ohsofast: It’s fairly easy to disassemble our interior. Since it will be your first time I would take your time and study how it comes apart. Make sure you keep up with all of your screws and bolts and you know where they came from so reassembly goes smoothly. I like to try to keep all of my screws/bolts with the part that I’m removing and you can even go as far so putting the Screws/bolts back in their original positions. I would say it shouldn’t take you more the two hours at most, probably not that long. Good luck!

XxXTransAmXxX: Sounds like you went to the next extreme bet it will sound great when you’re all done. How hard was it to get to the firewall and did you have to remove any of the dash? Is the dampening material on the inside or outside of the firewall? Thx

Dentalguy: I knew your first comment was to Darkspoon but the rest of it sounded like it pertained to me, which is cool because I’m sure there are lots people that feel it’s crazy to sound dampen our cars so I thought I would address your comment for them too. We’re all just sharing our opinions and concerns that’s why we’re here. Thx!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

My dad has suggested to do some sound dampening to my TA because people here wont understand that a performance car is going to keep more noises then their Mercedes or BMW.

I have nothing against it other than I freak out when I dont hear the regular noises from my car. :/
Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Another vote to make this a sticky.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

XxXTransAmXxX: Sounds like you went to the next extreme bet it will sound great when you’re all done. How hard was it to get to the firewall and did you have to remove any of the dash? Is the dampening material on the inside or outside of the firewall? Thx

I removed the interior completely....dash, hvac and all....here are a few pics of some of it being installed...

Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

XxXTransAmXxX: Looks like you’re doing it right…from the ground up. You’re going to have a very solid car. I wish I could have removed my dash like that…so how hard is it to remove the dash and all of the wiring??? If I could just get the front of my car muffled a little bit I would be golden. Thanks for the pic’s looks really good…good luck and keep us posted!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the kind words MyKeySS, Dash is a bit of a pain, I found a fairly decent guide for removing it somewhere online, only left me in the dark on one bolt, that holds the HVAC assy to the firewall area. Other than that not too ba. Def will be worth it though I'm more than sure, having 2 layers plus the rubber up there, should keep the extra engine comparment noise down..I will def keep you guys updated as I do more things...40 hours of school a week tho and an additional 30-40 of work, plus tryin to still train, and make races leave alot of umm well NO TIME to plan out things for the car it's more spuratic than anything, and spontaneous if I get time..
Old 06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sticky this ! I just followed in and Ill post pictures of my sound dampened interior - I used mostly frost king and haven't had a chance to drive it to see the difference but will post asap
Old 10-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Teching In

kudos on information
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Thanks…this thread is a blast from the past, 2006. Ironically I’ve started the second stage of my sound deading this week and hope to have new info posted in the up coming months. Since my motor has crapped out on me I now have my car up on jack stands and have gutted the car inside and out.

I’m planning on damping the firewall and using an undercoating called ‘”dead-liner” for the underside of the car, including fenders. I have BIG plans for this project.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by MyKeySS; 10-07-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Is the "dead-liner" a paint on or a spray on. One of my biggest pet peeves is when your drivin down the road and the rear wheels are flingin stuff into the rear wells an thats all you here. Id love to eliminate some of that.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bluetransam95lt1
Is the "dead-liner" a paint on or a spray on. One of my biggest pet peeves is when your drivin down the road and the rear wheels are flingin stuff into the rear wells an thats all you here. Id love to eliminate some of that.
I haven't decided 100% on what brand I'm going to use but dead liner is by secondskin audio which is the brand i covered my car in using the tar/foil pads. Its a bed-liner material with extra additives for sound deadening and heat insulating. There are other bed-liner material you could use or a 3M rubber spray (looks like bed-liner just soft rubber) that could be applied.

But to answer your questions it can be brushed, rolled and sprayed on...Which ever brand i choose I'll be spraying mine. If you were to add the damplifer pads to both sides of your fenders with a rubbery "bed-liner" material you could really quite that annoying noise you're getting.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/produ...y-bedliner.php
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for this thread. I got the idea to do mine following it. Let us know how the firewall goes.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Damplifier Pro is a lot better than Brown Bread or Fat mat, now just put a layer under the dash pad, and 2 layers inside the doors with a layer of Overkill-pro glued to it. And to cut out a little trans area noise cut around a 1sq.ft. piece of Overkill-pro with about a 3" hole cut in it to fit over the shifter. Jut cut the piece of overkill-pro 1" larger than the shifter opening in the trans tunnel.

Quick Reply: Sound Dampened my…..