Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Texas Tint Law...Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be a jackass but 20% is the limit. I know b/c I am a state inspector in the DFW area.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be different in different parts of the state? I know here in PA some county's need emsisions tests and others do not. Or at least that used to be the case here.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHEVYXTREME_00
Not to be a jackass but 20% is the limit. I know b/c I am a state inspector in the DFW area.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm

Weird, it says to pass inspection you have to have at least 20%, but to pass state law on the road, you must have 25%. Don't get pulled over by a ******** trooper
Old 05-17-2006, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

just to make sure everyone knows that tint % = the lower the number (example 20%) is darker than say (example 35%).

I have 5% all around. in Missouri 35% is the only tint regulation on the front two windows (drive and passenger). so the comment about in CA you can only have 100% on the back window doesn't make sense does this mean you cant have tint? or what i think you got it backwards. i just wanted to clairfy.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
just to make sure everyone knows that tint % = the lower the number (example 20%) is darker than say (example 35%).

I have 5% all around. in Missouri 35% is the only tint regulation on the front two windows (drive and passenger). so the comment about in CA you can only have 100% on the back window doesn't make sense does this mean you cant have tint? or what i think you got it backwards. i just wanted to clairfy.
Now I'm really confused. You just said you have 5% all around which I assume means driver and passenger side which is darker than the 35% Missouri law allows on those right? Yet it says you live in Missouri so how are you getting by? Are you just not getting pulled over? What about at inspection time? Just curious.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d

I was just joking with the 100% comment. I didn't realize people were confused with this, so I apologize for adding to the confusion. However, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I said 100% is the lowest possible for the front side windows and that any level of tint is legal for the rear window. This is why I have 5% on my rear window. That's legal.

To repeat what has already been said in an attempt to clarify:

'Tint percentage' measures the amount of light capable of passing through the window. Hence, 100% would mean 100% of outside light can pass through the window. On the other hand, 5% means only 5% of outside light can pass through the window, which is why it is dark. Finally, theoretically, a window with 0% tint would not allow any light through and would essentially be a solid black film that allows 0% of outside light through.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackTA98 LS1
lol that only works about 30% of the time. But yea, its worth a try for you...
yes in fact most inspectores will roll the window up just to check.i guess they got burned on that one.never bother to check the tint and it was a state offical or something.they do randomchecks with inspection stations to make sure thier com[pliance with the inspection.bring in a car they know wint pass in different areas just to see if they let it slide or are top of thir game.so ya they are very strict here and ive been to several different location ...althought my buddy has super dark tint i believe its 5% dont know how he gets by.guess that by having an ordinary car they're not looking for stupid things like tint and have a f-body they r on your *** i dunno.he only had one inspection since he tinted the windowsso i guess he lucked out.you should see him when he drive by a cop or sees one he scrammbles to roll his windows down its kinda funny.it'll be like 5 degrees and all he'll get his one day,and im gonna be the first one to say told ya so.

Quick Reply: Texas Tint Law...Need Help