Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Good Place to get some primer online???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good Place to get some primer online???

Well Im having a body shop guy Im friends with fix my hail dmg on the quarters of my firebird.. but my new white hood/hatch dont match with the 12 y/o original GM white paint so im gonna sand the whole car down and bring the car to maaco (im doing the prep work so it should be ok?)

Where can I get aerosol can's of Epoxy Etching Primer & high build primer??
Old 05-23-2006, 06:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not spray your car with rattle can primer. Do you have atleast a 2hp compressor? I would suggest geting yourself a spray gun (LVLP if you have a small compressor). Check out these Astro guns, you can't beat them for the money http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astro/index.htm . And for paint at a good price check out http://www.autopaintdirect.com/ . They sell Valspar which is a quality paint that is real inexpensive. If you need an extremly high build primer I would go with Evercoat Slick Sand or G2 polyester primer, the stuff has been great on the few projects that I have used it on, only $12 a qt too.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 05-23-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I would not spray your car with rattle can primer. Do you have atleast a 2hp compressor? I would suggest geting yourself a spray gun (LVLP if you have a small compressor). Check out these Astro guns, you can't beat them for the money http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astro/index.htm . And for paint at a good price check out http://www.autopaintdirect.com/ . They sell Valspar which is a quality paint that is real expensive. If you need an extremly high build primer I would go with Evercoat Slick Sand or G2 polyester primer, the stuff has been great on the few projects that I have used it on, only $12 a qt too.
some people have done it and had good results, i believe I have a 3hp compressor somewhere
Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Teching In

check smartshoppersinc.com i came across this a while back. they have very cheap prices on name brand paints. im not familiar with kirker paint but you can get a gallon of primer for about $30. never use the rattle can on a car it will look good for a few months but will cause big problems in the future. I work in a body shop and have see ppl do that before.

Last edited by LawmanSS; 05-23-2006 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor link removed.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

bumpp ya im looking at a 1.8 nose gun on ebay can get them for around $70-80
Old 05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

lol...I just reread my post. I meant to say that Valspar is real inexpensive, not real expensive.

I would get a gun with a 1.4 tip for your sealer and a 1.8+ for your high build. Which gun where you looking at? You'll want to look at how much CFM is required to run or it can be a real pain in the butt, especially with a big tip on it. The Astro EVO is only $80 and it's been proven to work very well with small compresors. They also have a super low air gun but the price isn't listed. I just ordered an EVO 1.8 as a primer gun.

Quick Reply: Good Place to get some primer online???