Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

K&N FIPK appearance question! its a good one!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember that happening to my original shield. My BMR shield came with spacers included.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great tip, Greg!...I bought my kit lightly used, I noticed it has some distortion in it...I need to straighten it out before I have it chromed...the shims should keep it from happening again...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Great tip, Greg!...I bought my kit lightly used, I noticed it has some distortion in it...I need to straighten it out before I have it chromed...the shims should keep it from happening again...

Chris,

Seriously take a look at the BMR LT1 shroud before you make your final decision to chrome the existing shroud. It's like $89 and it's stainless steel and looks like a friggin mirror. Best polish job I've ever seen. I've had quite a few things chromed and would bet the farm it's going to cost a lot more to chrome your existing piece just due to labor involved. Just some food for thought.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

I never even considered it.....I dont mind the folds..otherwise their be a gap between theshield and teh crossmember..That would bother me....
Old 05-26-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Bryan, did you have to fabricate something to hold the end of the filter, or does it stay put without?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Bryan, did you have to fabricate something to hold the end of the filter, or does it stay put without?

Negative on that. Stays in place just fine. Been almost 2 years now since I switched to that shroud and no problems. Only thing is that is does not have the little indentation or dip where the bellow rests on the stock shroud. Therefore the filter does tend to sit a little higher than normal, maybe 1/2" or so.

Bryan
Old 05-26-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Lawman, check your PM, you might find this interesting.

Bryan
Old 05-26-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by parbreak
Lawman, check your PM, you might find this interesting.

Bryan
Definitely interesting.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

This has been a very helpful thread. I picked up the filter portion of a volant intake a year or so ago and have not had the time to fab something up for it yet. Sounds like the $89 shroud may be the way to go. I'm still a little concerned about just leaving it hanging there with no support, but if others have done it, I'd be willing to try it. Does anyone know if this will gain me anything over an slp lid? I'd like to change it out anyways because I'm one of the lucky ones that has the top of the stupid lid hitting the bottom of the hood! Thanks again for all the advice guys! I owe ya one!
Old 05-28-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by My2ndls1
This has been a very helpful thread. I picked up the filter portion of a volant intake a year or so ago and have not had the time to fab something up for it yet. Sounds like the $89 shroud may be the way to go. I'm still a little concerned about just leaving it hanging there with no support, but if others have done it, I'd be willing to try it. Does anyone know if this will gain me anything over an slp lid? I'd like to change it out anyways because I'm one of the lucky ones that has the top of the stupid lid hitting the bottom of the hood! Thanks again for all the advice guys! I owe ya one!

I don't know if you'll pick up anything or lose anything over the SLP lid but I can tell you my throttle response if very crisp with the FIPK.

Bryan
Old 05-28-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO, any performance gain/loss would be a wash...the change should be based on the appearance...

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK appearance question! its a good one!