Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

chrome valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default chrome valve covers?

Where can I find these? I'm looking for chrome valve covers with the coilpack studs shaved off.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get a coil relocation kit and then take your covers and get them polished and then chromed. I'd take it to a place that does custom bikes. That's what I plan to do with mine.

GM Performance Division makes a set of covers that says chevrolet on them but they aren't chromed but you can get them chromed, otherwide I've seen a vendor here sell them, they weren't cheap at all.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SStolen
Where can I find these? I'm looking for chrome valve covers with the coilpack studs shaved off.

Not only are you going to have to do this yourself or pay someone to do the shaving, but then your going to have to TIG weld the holes that are left over from the bosses that were shaved off. Then have it polished to a mirror shine and then chromed. Overall probably looking at about $300-40 worth of work.

But to answer your question directly, you can't find them you have to create them.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

parbreak said it perfectly. ~Joshua
Old 06-03-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking from experience here...I bought a new set of GM covers and shaved the coil bosses off...then I attempted to have the holes TIGed...the problem I had was the welds would leave tiny pits...I had a professional welder doing the work and after multiple attempts, we couldn't get the welds done without pits. The pits would look horrible if you tried to chrome over them. I gave up...

I bought chromed billet valve covers from GenIII Performance, but I don't think they're in business anymore. Speed Inc. has a similar set, but they're not chrome.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Speaking from experience here...I bought a new set of GM covers and shaved the coil bosses off...then I attempted to have the holes TIGed...the problem I had was the welds would leave tiny pits...I had a professional welder doing the work and after multiple attempts, we couldn't get the welds done without pits. The pits would look horrible if you tried to chrome over them. I gave up...
It can be done, just have to think outside the box a little bit. The company who developed and patented the finish that Edelbrock uses called "Permastar" recently started granting distribution rights to outside vendors who will do it on a custom basis. I've already spoken with these people about a few things I plan on having chromed. Not only are they the ONLY place I've ever seen that offers a 3-year finish warranty on the plating process, but they can put it on up to 19 mils thick which means your part doesn't necessarily need to be prepped to the nines in order for it to come out smooth.

http://www.americanpowdercoating.com/samples.htm

FWIW, they quoted me $300 to do an intake manifold, (that I have already polished), so I imagine a set of custom valve covers would probably be in the neighborhood of $150-$200. (The guy also kept scolding me for polishing the intake and insisting that they would have been able to put the finish on thick enough to fill out the rough casting.)
Old 06-03-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
It can be done, just have to think outside the box a little bit. The company who developed and patented the finish that Edelbrock uses called "Permastar" recently started granting distribution rights to outside vendors who will do it on a custom basis. I've already spoken with these people about a few things I plan on having chromed. Not only are they the ONLY place I've ever seen that offers a 3-year finish warranty on the plating process, but they can put it on up to 19 mils thick which means your part doesn't necessarily need to be prepped to the nines in order for it to come out smooth.

http://www.americanpowdercoating.com/samples.htm

FWIW, they quoted me $300 to do an intake manifold, (that I have already polished), so I imagine a set of custom valve covers would probably be in the neighborhood of $150-$200. (The guy also kept scolding me for polishing the intake and insisting that they would have been able to put the finish on thick enough to fill out the rough casting.)
That's some of the best I've seen yet.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by parbreak
That's some of the best I've seen yet.
Great find!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned

x3!!! Very kewl item/process
Old 06-04-2006, 06:56 AM