Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how to get rid of swirls

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
OM my that looks really good! can you elaborate on how you did it? please. my whole car looks like that(the top part) i did the meguires 3 step process b4 and it worked but after a couple of washes you can see it all over again.and i wash my car at least 1x a week its black and its my daily driver so it gets dirty fast. sometimes i use the california duster and some meguirs quick detail stuff but that doesn't help much.
one possibility for it appearing to work initially, then coming back after a couple of washes could be your washing and drying routine .. you are probably rescratching/swirling the paint.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gipraw
you must type faster than I do ..
We really need to get together some time and compare notes.

-Mike
Old 06-05-2006, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

one possibility for it appearing to work initially, then coming back after a couple of washes could be your washing and drying routine .. you are probably rescratching/swirling the paint.

its possable i use a micro fiber coverd sponge to wash and it getts rinsed and mashine washed after every car wash and i use one of those wierd chamies not the leather ones but one of the other brands(your supposed to put it away damp otherwise it get stiff as hell) i forget what its called but its orange if that helps any.. i always use a seperate brush or rag to do the wheels. IDK is thier a such thing as washing your car to much? my parents and nieghbors always tell me ima wash the paint off my car.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I never got scratch x to work.. I used Scratch remover 2.0 (#9 meguiars professional series) and it worked bad ***.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
its possable i use a micro fiber coverd sponge to wash and it getts rinsed and mashine washed after every car wash and i use one of those wierd chamies not the leather ones but one of the other brands(your supposed to put it away damp otherwise it get stiff as hell) i forget what its called but its orange if that helps any.. i always use a seperate brush or rag to do the wheels. IDK is thier a such thing as washing your car to much? my parents and nieghbors always tell me ima wash the paint off my car.
Not as long as you do it right. If you wash your car with Dawn every weekend, you'll kill the clearcoat, but if you use a good car wash solution, along with good techniques and equipment, it won't cause any harm.

Sounds like you're using an Absorber to dry it. I personally prefer waffle weave microfiber towels, but my one bit of advice that I always give to Absorber owners: KEEP IT CLEAN! One piece of dirt on that thing and it's swirl city.

-Mike
Old 06-05-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
We really need to get together some time and compare notes.

-Mike
agreed.

yea, watch the absorber.. no nap means "will scratch easy". also make sure you are keeping the microfiber sponge clean (they are not my first choice, a lamb's wool or chenile mitt would be) if you use the sponge, it is even more important to use the two bucket wash method.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Most of the time, waxes just fill the scratches in and once the wax has been washed off, bam they are back. Buffing the car is your best bet. Be sure you know what you are doing when buffing. Someone unexperienced can burn the paint or possibly leave hologram swirls.

Quick Reply: how to get rid of swirls