Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does anyone else have a lot of rock chips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does anyone else have a lot of rock chips?

I have a black 97WS6 and the guy who had it before me sure put a lot of rock chips on it for only having 15,000 miles Now it's got 39000 miles and theres probably 2 more chips on the hood now since I bought it but I drive REAL carefully. I had the bumper repainted when I got it and that does have some chips but that's probably because the repaint wasn't as durable as the factory paint.

I was just wondering how many miles your cars have and how the paint is holding up against chips and things like that.

It bugs me that my car has low miles and a decent amount of rock chips but then I see other cars with lots of miles and hardly any rock chips.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just shy of 100K miles here. . .lucky and light on the rock chips. . .but my Silver Z on the other hand. . .poor paint job about 2 years ago. . .'crater-central'! ! !
Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

little over 150k, the guy before me gives me headaches!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

my hood has more then my bumper..weird?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i've got 5 or 6 big ones
Old 06-04-2006, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

almost 70k. Not to man chips at the 4 year old repaint other than when i pulled into my garage to far and accidently chipped it.

[IMG] http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...TransAm007.jpg [IMG]
Old 06-04-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure what i'm going to do...I have hundreds on the front of the car, and even on the windshield...
Old 06-04-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Purepower, don't put spaces between the image tags and put a / in the last one so it's like this [/img]
Old 06-04-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

i got some on my hood and a big chip on the passenger door thanks to some heavy hail
Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The front of my car looks like it went through a war zone. But, ...... the other night i come home to find that the neighbor backed over my front end with his toyota tundra and now I will be having the front end repainted. So, bye bye rock chips. At first I was pissed off, but then I realized that my front end would be painted for free so now I am happy.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 2002 transam that is a daily driver on interstate, with about 60,000 has some chips on the front. The hawk has none, thanks to the Colgan bra, I take it off every other weekend and clean the front of the car. Hawk only has 9,000 miles, but I have been behind big dump trucks and had a large piece of wood once hit the front and only scuff the bra. Once I even had a person spin his tires in front of me and rocks hit the front like a rain storm, no marks thanks to the bra.I have seen what a bra on the front of a car that doesn't fit properly and isn't properly taken care of can do to the paint , more damage than the chips. After 30 yrs of driving, I'll keep the bra.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had my car in San Diego for about a year and a half and only had a couple rock chips. I moved to San Antonio about 9 months ago, now my whole front end and windshield is littered with chips. There are way more trucks on the highways here.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I have 1 or 2 big ones, but you can't see them unless you're up close to the car. That's the beauty of pewter .
Old 06-04-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is pretty rough too. In a similar post, someone posted this link . Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Mine is pretty rough too. In a similar post, someone posted this link . Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I tried it...it basically colors the white in the chips a black or grey so they are less visible. They tend to "hide" better from a distance but they are still there. It doesn't fill in the chips, it only paints the white part darker with a very thin layer so they are semi-camoflauged. It's a good fix for the price and is pretty easy to use.

However, I couldn't get it to work for me on the front of my car with the small chips (like little dots all over). It wouldn't go into them because they are too small. It did work pretty well for me though on other parts of the car with bigger chips/scratches.

This was on my black car. They will custom make your kit to match the color of your car.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I tried it...it basically colors the white in the chips a black or grey so they are less visible. They tend to "hide" better from a distance but they are still there. It doesn't fill in the chips, it only paints the white part darker with a very thin layer so they are semi-camoflauged. It's a good fix for the price and is pretty easy to use.

However, I couldn't get it to work for me on the front of my car with the small chips (like little dots all over). It wouldn't go into them because they are too small. It did work pretty well for me though on other parts of the car with bigger chips/scratches.

This was on my black car. They will custom make your kit to match the color of your car.
So you think it's a good way to go versus leaving the chips alone, using touch up paint, or using something like Langka?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

My front bumper is loaded with rock chips and my car only has 25k miles. I think 99% were from the previous owner. I'm going to get my bumper repainted over the winter.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

I have tons and hate each and everyone w/ a passion! As soon as I get the car repainted Im putting a clear bra on since a friend of mine does them.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by multiplicityZ
my 98 Z has 122k miles on it, has ONE very small rock chip at the base of the hood....very lucky.

my 99 SS has probly 5 on the hood, and they are all decent sized, and i despise them all, but ill have the hood repainted soon.

i even drive it more carefully than the Z, as it is a weekend cruiser
Yep, when you're driving the good car there's either a dump truck, construction, or lots of traffic but when you have the daily driver it's smooth sailing.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah the nose and hood of my car are covered with tiny little chips. They are super tiny but there are so many of them it looks like somebody got overspray on my car. I put the PC to my car yesterday but it didnt do much, I got some of the swirls out but all the teeny tiny little pocks in the clear are still there, taunting me, enraging me, infuriating me, raising my blood pressure, and so forth. Now that its not a daily driver anymore I can just stuff it in the garage and forget about it for a while. lol

Quick Reply: Does anyone else have a lot of rock chips?