Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How functional is the Sunoco hood???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How functional is the Sunoco hood???

Any cowl on an LS1 really...

Do you think that air from the high pressure zone (at the windshield's base) will make it from the cowl, down the hood into the air lid?

Or is it just more of a heat escaping (at a stop) functionality?

Or is it not functional really (besides being lightweight) at all?

What do you guys think? Mods if there's a better place for this thread please feel free to move it... thanks everyone !
Old 06-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read many a tread saying how even the SS and WS6 hoods don't really do anything performance wise, so I doubt that a cowl really makes that big of a difference.

The main advantages would be: A lot of wight savings over the stock steel hood, room for engine goodies, looks really cool.

Just my $.02
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

cowl hoods were obviously designed on carbed engines to pull in air from the high-pressure zone where the windshield first curves up. That's also the reason cabin air is taken in there, because of the favorable pressure gradient. So it stands to reason that, yes, there is some air getting in to cool the engine...but I doubt it's anything you'd call a performance enhancement.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

not sure about a performance gain, but it sure looks sexy!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

It does take heat away though, nice seeing that haze coming out of it.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cowl hoods look so bad ***! Yup cowls do let the heat out but really no performance without a carb. I have seen that car before but did someone put C5 emblems on the side her?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, what it be possible to pipe the air inlet to the windsheild to allow it to gain air from there?(via the cowl induction hood)

Can I get a picture of the opening in the hood? I haven't had much occasion to sneek peeks at cowl induction hoods.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zo6vette037
I have seen that car before but did someone put C5 emblems on the side her?
Umm..NO It's a Hot Rod edition car. It has the Hot Rod badges on the fenders. This is Greg(LS1SS)'s Dad's #1977 Hot Rod car with the Phase IIx 475HP motor in it. The car was too plain looking with the Z28 hood and flat spoiler so he ordered up an SS spoiler and the Sunoco cowl hood. He got the 4th hood made. Greg and his dad were telling me about it at the West Michigan Camaro Club meeting last Sunday. Does the cowl really do anything? Probably not. But you gotta admit it looks damn badass!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i lthink this hood does an excellent job and is very functional. i like how the air rushes from under the car and travels up in the engine bay then forces the hot air out through the cowl. this hood is very good in my opinion
Old 06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
i lthink this hood does an excellent job and is very functional. i like how the air rushes from under the car and travels up in the engine bay then forces the hot air out through the cowl. this hood is very good in my opinion
Isn't the supposed benefit of a cowl the complete opposite? It brings air in from the pressure zone of the windshield, not pushes air out?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by paspar2
Isn't the supposed benefit of a cowl the complete opposite? It brings air in from the pressure zone of the windshield, not pushes air out?

Yeah, I think the other guy was joking... I hope at least...
Old 06-06-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Umm..NO It's a Hot Rod edition car. It has the Hot Rod badges on the fenders. This is Greg(LS1SS)'s Dad's #1977 Hot Rod car with the Phase IIx 475HP motor in it. The car was too plain looking with the Z28 hood and flat spoiler so he ordered up an SS spoiler and the Sunoco cowl hood. He got the 4th hood made. Greg and his dad were telling me about it at the West Michigan Camaro Club meeting last Sunday. Does the cowl really do anything? Probably not. But you gotta admit it looks damn badass!

Yes that is my father's HOTROD Camaro pictured in the first post.

The real advantage to the Dick Harrell/Sunoco hood (other than agressive looks) it the fact that it removes a HUGE amount of engine compartment heat as the back of the cowl is open. This screened opening allows the engine heat (after aggressive driving ) to easily escape out the back rather than being trapped under the hood. It works especially well in summer traffic when the fans turn on you can see the heat waves escaping from the rear of the hood. The heat wave can also be seen while parked just after shutting the engine off. I wish my factory SS hood removed heat so good!

As far as other "cowl" hoods being of any advantage I can't say as I don't know if the rear of the hood is open like this one is.

Greg
Old 06-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Yes that is my father's HOTROD Camaro pictured in the first post.

The real advantage to the Dick Harrell/Sunoco hood (other than agressive looks) it the fact that it removes a HUGE amount of engine compartment heat as the back of the cowl is open. This screened opening allows the engine heat (after aggressive driving ) to easily escape out the back rather than being trapped under the hood. It works especially well in summer traffic when the fans turn on you can see the heat waves escaping from the rear of the hood. The heat wave can also be seen while parked just after shutting the engine off. I wish my factory SS hood removed heat so good!

As far as other "cowl" hoods being of any advantage I can't say as I don't know if the rear of the hood is open like this one is.

Greg
Greg, where did you get those cool tweeter mounts for your car??? Did you make them?

Mark
Old 06-06-2006, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
Well, what it be possible to pipe the air inlet to the windsheild to allow it to gain air from there?(via the cowl induction hood)

Can I get a picture of the opening in the hood? I haven't had much occasion to sneek peeks at cowl induction hoods.

If you look closely, you can see the large oval opening at the bottom of the windshield.

And here you can see how it's open from under the hood

Old 06-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
If you look closely, you can see the large oval opening at the bottom of the windshield.

And here you can see how it's open from under the hood

Did you ever get a chance to get yours painted? Then I'd know EXACTLY how it'd look on my car (same NBM and Halos !)....
Old 06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

nope, headers and cam were more important

Here's how it currently sits

Old 06-07-2006, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

it will make you look like you are going faster
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Yeah, I think the other guy was joking... I hope at least...

well i think where are airboxs are located the cowl would not really function like it would if we had carbs on our cars. so looking at the big picture i would think that while driving down the highway at 65mph the air rushing from under the car would travel upwards and help push some of the hot air out of the cowl. think about it,do you think the air smashing into the winshield with no direction pointing in the opososite direction would have a better chance making it into the engine than the on coming air which is being forced in from under the car? so no.....i wasnt really joking

Quick Reply: How functional is the Sunoco hood???