Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Can you layer Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can talk prep all day, but everyone who's toyed with Meguiar's GC wax enough KNOWS that its durability = butt. Also, I wouldn't recommend a QD before a coat of wax either. You want maximum contact between the clear and the wax/sealant; why have a layer of QD in between? Bad juju.

Also, I break out the dishwashing liquid at most once every three months. It's a quick, simple way of getting rid of old wax. I wouldn't make a habit out of it because of what improper stripping with regular soap CAN do.

If you have bugs/bird poop/etc still on the car after your wash and the claybar didn't take it off, don't use QD. Lean toward a mild solvent - 50%-70% IPA is a popular choice.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

There is no such thing as a "layer" of QD...its a spray on, wipe off type of thing and it doesn't stay. Then again it may depend on the brand...not all of them are the same I guess.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:46 PM

I would post this question on their web site. www.meguiarsonline.com
Old 06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I would post this question on their web site. www.meguiarsonline.com
They have an awesome forum... very informative! Anyone interested in detailing should read up there.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Just checked out the Meguiars forum. Much detailing info there. Consensus is 2 will be ok, no benefit from third layer. Also, most like a layer of NXT followed by a layer of Gold Class. I will try that next time!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, Consumer Reports just rated 28 popular liquid, paste and spray waxes. #1 was Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax and #2 was Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6. Both these products sell for only $7. Meguirs Gold Class was #6. I wish they would have rated Zaino, but they didn't.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
There is no such thing as a "layer" of QD...its a spray on, wipe off type of thing and it doesn't stay. Then again it may depend on the brand...not all of them are the same I guess.
Are you serious? QDs have lots of lube, which gives you that slick, easy-wipe feel. Some have polymers for the gloss, others turn to emulsified wax (carnauba even) for their shine.

There is a reason that they're called "quick detailers" - some of these products are good enough to use as a first step AND last step after your wash.

QDs definitely aren't the same.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigdsz
FWIW, Consumer Reports just rated 28 popular liquid, paste and spray waxes. #1 was Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax and #2 was Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6. Both these products sell for only $7. Meguirs Gold Class was #6. I wish they would have rated Zaino, but they didn't.
this would be the same article that says.. and I quote

And our best all around choice, Turtle Wax Carnuba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes
and
With the advent of the clear coat ... you aren't likely to improve the shine on any new vehicle
and, my favorite
with any wax you choose, we recommend you first try using it on an inconspicuous area such as a doorjamb
the entire article isn't worth the cost of the ink they used to print it, in my opinion.. but is was good for a laugh.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scratching? Hazing? Not improving shine? DOOR JAMBS? Sounds like a noob problem! Yet another fine example of the quality of opinions coming from "consumer-oriented" media such as CR.

Quick Reply: Can you layer Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax?