Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painted BLACK interiors

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
Ok everybody, lets be cool and use spray cans to change our interior colors, god what a joke! Leave your damned interior alone or go out and buy the colors you want.
They dont make gloss black interiors dur. Go take your dimestore advice somewhere else.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroextra
They dont make gloss black interiors dur. Go take your dimestore advice somewhere else.
seriously, if I don't like a mod you're doing I won't get in your thread and flame it
Old 06-08-2006, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

You Dont ******* Spray Paint Your Cars Interior!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Sprayed1998: You made your point...now stop trying to start a war.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

just trying to help people from doing stuff they will regret later.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

just trying to help people from doing stuff they will regret later.
Thank
Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sprayed1998 i'd suggest a diff thread for you.
IMO i think you can take a decent spray can pretty far. I did my ceta bumper in that fashion and its worked great.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

After painting my wheels, I think my EXT is done for a while, only things I need now for that is a ws6 hood (which I moved over into the first spot on my performance side of the mods, which is placed directly after the last thing in the INT mods), Rims ( which my painted stockers will do for now ) and a drop (which Im not sure if I wanna go with drop springs just yet, so I am moving these to performance, and will do a bad *** set up soon )

So after I get my car cleaned up wetsanded and buffed. I am gonna take the money I was gonna use to get my TAN seat fixed, and spend it on black carpeting, same stuff Jared has. Once I get that, I will install it, and while the rear panals, sail panals, and kick plates are out, I will go a head and remove the a pillers, dash pad, t-top covers, and dye them with Krylon Fusion BLACK ( should I go with gloss or flat? ) replace my steering wheel with a smaller diamiter non air bagged wheel, and delete my rear seats.. I think I may go a head and dye my door panals, and have them re inserted with white leather and then I am stumped on my dash itself though, I can't have my car inopt for more than a day, so I may leave that for a later day, and just rock a charcoal main dash for a while...

Thanks for the insperation jared
Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

*To Each His Own*
Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

I just did all the ac vents, shifter console area (not the whole console) and the radio bezel and ***** with silver to match the Sebring Silver on the exterior. I sanded it all down with 600 grit the used a paint adhesive, duplicolor spray paint (5-6 coats at least), wet sanded with 1000 grit, then put 3-4 clear coats on top of it. I plan on them lasting quite a while.

My question is on the ENTIRE front dash assembly. It is a soft, spongy material and if painted I imagine it will chip VERY easily. This happend in my buddys care with his door panels. Is it possible to paint on a resin of some kind (CF or fiberglass), let it dry, smooth it out and then paint it? That would leave a hard surface for the paint to stick to.

The same goes for the door panels. What is the best way to color the door panels?

I also plan on smoothing down and painting the door trim, pillars and rear seat panels a gloss black. Is Krylon Fusion really the best way to go? Will I need any clearcoat on top or prep work below (sanding, paint adhesive, wetsanding after several Krylon coats). Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I just did all the ac vents, shifter console area (not the whole console) and the radio bezel and ***** with silver to match the Sebring Silver on the exterior. I sanded it all down with 600 grit the used a paint adhesive, duplicolor spray paint (5-6 coats at least), wet sanded with 1000 grit, then put 3-4 clear coats on top of it. I plan on them lasting quite a while.

My question is on the ENTIRE front dash assembly. It is a soft, spongy material and if painted I imagine it will chip VERY easily. This happend in my buddys care with his door panels. Is it possible to paint on a resin of some kind (CF or fiberglass), let it dry, smooth it out and then paint it? That would leave a hard surface for the paint to stick to.

The same goes for the door panels. What is the best way to color the door panels?

I also plan on smoothing down and painting the door trim, pillars and rear seat panels a gloss black. Is Krylon Fusion really the best way to go? Will I need any clearcoat on top or prep work below (sanding, paint adhesive, wetsanding after several Krylon coats). Thanks

Were not really painting the int, were dying it. The dye soaks into the dash...
Old 06-09-2006, 05:55 AM
TECH Regular

Spuds, Krylon is in fact a paint, not a dye. I extensively researched having the interior professionally dyed black, but the cost was far above spray cans and would have only looked marginally better. And that sucks about not having your car out of commission for more than a day...but with help I know it'd be possible to knock it out in 24 hours. Takes determination, but hell with two people you could do repaint and carpet...

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I also was quite concerned with painting the dash since it was softer than hard plastic; however, Krylon worked great! It isn't so soft that the Fusion doesn't work, and I haven't had ANY chipping, flaking, or flex cracks. (Of course, I don't regularly jam my elbow into the dash to check )

"Door panels" is a broad term, since the door involves three different materials: leather, soft vinyl, and hard vinyl/plastic. In a previous post I outlined what paint is ideal for each--the Krylon can really only be used hard stuff--it will NOT work on the armrest/door handle...I found that out the hard way...painted it all up and it never dried, so stripped it again with isopropel and repainted with Dupli-Color.

Is Krylon Fusion the best? In my opinion, yes. I did research on plastic paints before the interior overhaul and kept running into praise for Krylon's product. It even got a Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award: http://www.specialchem4coatings.com/...ws.aspx?id=623

Many of your latter questions are personal preference. My only prep work was isopropel alcohol (and it is quite harsh on plastic so it's great prep). Don't let the alcohol sit on any piece for too long, keep wiping it constantly. I will tell you that Krylon requires NO adhesion promotor--if you ever have trouble getting paint to stick to something, try sanding the piece. This happened with my steering wheel...FAR too slick. Even the leather paint kept cracking and flaking off. I lightly sanded it with 800-grit, exactly what it needed. The wheel is only slightly rougher since sanding. As for the clear coat, that's up to you on the plastic pieces. I wouldn't recommend it on any soft pieces, as it will never dry. Krylon is crazy durable with no outer protectant, but if you want more gloss than what the Fusion gives you, godspeed. Oh, but don't clear coat the big top plastic dash piece...I only Kryloned mine and if the sun's shining I have to wear sunglasses because of glare. It really isn't that bad, and I do have way oversensitive eyes, but with clear coat your dash would become a driving hazard. Again, wetsanding is up to you!

Hope this helped

Last edited by contraststriker; 06-09-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98NBM
*To Each His Own*
Old 06-09-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Are you laughing at yourself? 98NBM expressed his views in an infinitely more mature way than you.

Well nm, you're just here to aggrivate
Old 06-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by contraststriker
Well nm, you're just here to aggrivate
exactly what i was thinking...

this is great info on doing the interior, now i am def am doing it
Old 06-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Yea, I think when I put my carpet back in I am just gonna leave all the plastic out and tell people its a 'race car' lol and then I can do those and re install them at my own pace.

So where there any tricky panals to get out? how about the trim around the hatch?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

You Dont ******* Spray Paint Your Cars Interior!!!
sooooooooooooo what if i spray it with a spray gun that is used to paint the exterior of cars??? what if some people dont have the money to go out and buy all new panels (especially us college students who don't get everything from mommy and daddy). I think a smoothed interior painted or not is 100x better than textured crap. Simple thing is tho, if you don't like it then don't do it to your car!

Only parts of my interior I am not smoothing out are the dash and the outer most trim on the door panels. Because although I have a V6 bird for a DD I'd rather drive my better looking and faster car around everywhere (what the hell is the point of having a badass car if you are only going to drive it 4 times a month?) so glare and heat would be a problem here in florida.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

whatever guys, go ahead and whip out the rattle cans and go to work. Best of luck with it.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Stuff worked wonders, really laid down well. I used that prep wipe because It was there, and would do the job, I didn't have any denatured alcohol atm either.

I am 100% happy with the way these peices turned out, I needed to take them off anyways b/c the *** hole who I bought the car off of had put them on backwards * the sides were laying over the back, not tucked under * and decided they would be the first parts of my conversion to a all black int, gonna order the carpet soon.

Last edited by Sgt. Spuds; 06-09-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

as promised, here are the higher-resolution pictures. In them you can see how there are differen't "shades" of black depending on what surface you're painting. The soft center console, for example, is very difficult to get as black as the dash. I am open to suggestions on how to fix this.

Quick Reply: Painted BLACK interiors