Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Thoughts/Questions on the prep for my fiberglass hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default My Thoughts/Questions on the prep for my fiberglass hood

Alright, my body shop guy told me I had to sand off all the black on the hood. That black is the gel-coat. Its a huge PITA to sand it all off, even with my porter cable sander. I just sanded about 1/4 the top of the hood and that took at least 2 hours. The reason it has to be sanded off is because the actual fiberglass under it has tons of bubbles and pits.

Why does fiberglass hoods come gel-coated???

Now, all those imperfections have to be cleaned out and I have to mix up some fiberglass resin to lay on the hood and refinish the whole thing. I'll sand the obvious off with my sander and then i'll go ahead and block it by hand. Same goes for the under side of the hood.

Next, is that the hood be primered with professional primer. Its a 2 part mix. Not that rattle can crap. Then, block the hood again and use a guide coat to check that the hood is perfect.

Man is that a big PITA

On top of that, since the whole car is getting fully repainted, I need to sand and block all the LBM paint on the car to get back to the original paint, Fix some cracks in the plastic, and strip the qrt panels down to bare metal so I can spray some professional 2 part primer expoxy.

THEN, I can give my car to my awesome paint guy in pieces. When he's done, I can re- assemble the car which is a big PITA to get all the body panels to fit just right.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AAAHHHHH the lengths we will go to for perfection.