Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: red true flames up ws6 hood in stripe form?
Yay
64.86%
Nay
35.14%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Idea for exterior appearance... yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think removing the raim air emblems on the hood would like fine. You have the red on the headlights which I think makes up for it.

As for the true flames, I wouldn't limit yourself to the humps on the hood. I went outside and looked at my car and think they would look badass if they come from the nostrils, up the humps and drift down that smooth line on the outside of the humps. More of a dragon type idea than stripes. I think with any flame job, the flames need to be "free". If you have them drifting on the outside of the humps a little too, it also gives the appearance of wind blowing them. You can then probably leave a little space in between them also to get a "true flame" feel.

I love the true flames. Nothing sweeter than something actually looking like it is on fire. You are right though and the hard part is to get them to look just right.

Either of you guys seen that clear coat stuff that I think 3m makes? You put it on after the paint and you will not get any more nicks or chips from rocks. Stuff is sweet and doesn't even dull the luster of the paint. Expensive as hell from what I remember though. If I spent alot on a sweet paint job, I would want to protect it. Particularly in the front.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a black TA with the raptor hood and am considering doing basically what you described at the begining of this thread.

Instead of running red stripes, make the stripes painted on true flame in red.

Here's a so-so PS I did to give you an idea. I couldn't get rid of the yellow in this pic.

I wouldn't have the perfectly straight lines on the sides, but it would be close to straight. I figure the flames could conform as much as possible to the imaginary lines, but still have to flow and look right.

Here's a pic of Strykers red flame. This is what I would have painted in.

From a distance you would think they are red stripes, but once you get up close you would see that they are flames. I think it would be real cool looking.

Or maybe even a blue colored flame like this:

Last edited by JasonWW; 07-10-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stripes would not look right on a Raptor or Firehawk hood. They could definitely work on a WS6 hood like Superman's.

The blue flames would look amazing on your car though.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Louie83
The stripes would not look right on a Raptor or Firehawk hood. They could definitely work on a WS6 hood like Superman's.

The blue flames would look amazing on your car though.
Are you saying it won't look good on a Raptor, but would look good on my car? I don't understand. I have a black TA with Raptor hood.

The Raptor is very similar to the Firehawk and both have a raised portion on top. Granted, it's not as clearly defined as the Ram Air hoods, but that can be a good thing. The flames can follow some imaginary lines about the same shape as the scoop tops while still licking the edges to maintain realism.

Now I can't feather the edges in this Photoshop, but here is a rough example.

In fact, I like scorched_ss's predominately blue flames even better than the red.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

As long as it is " TRUE FIRE " .....I would do it.....[not true flames]
Old 07-10-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
As long as it is " TRUE FIRE " .....I would do it.....[not true flames]
You mean the old school flames that are taped out? No, I mean these newer "TRUE" flames that look realistic. I don't think Superman09 or anyone else on this thread is talking about the old school flames.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

I think if you taped off the stripes and then shot the fire followed up with some licks going outside the lines it would give it the uniformity you are looking for as well as the natural feel. If you didnt have any hard line and just the fire flowing in two lines without any decisive cut off point it would look a little odd.
Here is some blue fire but instead of using just opaques and candy I also mixed in some blue metallic.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd do Silver, Chrome or Brushed Aluminum accents on a dark color car. In fact, i'm doing that style on mine. If red is your thing, thats cool too. Do what you like..
Old 07-10-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that would be a great way to add a custom look to your paint. I would stick with the red or stray into some orangy/red true flame hues. You would need something on the rear deck lid and spoiler that matches. I really don't think it would look right without something on the sides to tie it all together. Nothing huge, but something to visually connect the top of the car with the sides.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

DO IT!!!

Just like you are talking about, same red flames as the valve covers and then "in the lines" stripe style...

You DON'T need to continue the flames to the back...

I say paint them on the hood, get rid of the RAM-AIR, moulding, and side TRANS-AM decal AND have a true-flame red bird (same as your FRC and intake now, maybe with a couple different colors to look good) Bird painted on your rear tail light center piece and possibly on your front license plate cover...

That would tie it all in and look KILLER!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Are you saying it won't look good on a Raptor, but would look good on my car? I don't understand. I have a black TA with Raptor hood.

The Raptor is very similar to the Firehawk and both have a raised portion on top. Granted, it's not as clearly defined as the Ram Air hoods, but that can be a good thing.
I'm saying stripes would not look good on a Raptor or Firehawk hood, but stripes work a WS6 hood.

I'm all for the blue flames, but trying to put them in square stripes on the Raptor hood messes up the Raptor's sexy, flowing shape. The flames should stay with the smooth, flowing theme that the hood already has.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Louie83
I'm saying stripes would not look good on a Raptor or Firehawk hood, but stripes work a WS6...

...but trying to put them in square stripes on the Raptor hood messes up the Raptor's sexy, flowing shape. The flames should stay with the smooth, flowing theme that the hood already has.
exactly what louie said, well said
Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Superman09
Everyone here knows Stryker's work. i'm sure it WOULD be done right
ha that exactally what i was thinking after reading peoples posts. come on man its stryker!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

dang, this thread is still going! lol. This thought is still in my mind for winter...

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-12-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superman09
dang, this thread is still going! lol. This thought is still in my mind for winter...
Well, take it out of your mind and put it on your car.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, another idea would be to tape out the stripes, put down a white base, do the flames in various shades of gray and then put a candy blue over it. That would look like stripes from a distance and then as you got closer you would see all the detail. I'm not sure how realistic it would look, though.

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-27-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I vote that you do it, but do Blackbird style strips instead of racing stripes for a more subtle effect. It would look pretty good on a black car.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy back from the dead post.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW

Here's a pic of Strykers red flame. This is what I would have painted in.

From a distance you would think they are red stripes, but once you get up close you would see that they are flames. I think it would be real cool looking.

Or maybe even a blue colored flame like this:
When I first read this poll, I thought, "I hope he doesn't mean that gay vinyl **** that ricers put on their car, that looks cartoony, Fast & Furious anyone?"

I actually like these flames that you posted though
Old 09-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Flames are hot yo.

Quick Reply: Idea for exterior appearance... yay or nay