Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Any painters in here? Paint repair question! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any painters in here? Paint repair question! Need advice

Okay so I got a little bit to close with my pressure washer and the picture below is the outcome. Basically stripped the clear coat off. Well this is only a small strip that is behind the rear wheel and stretches out just a bit onto the rear quarter panel. I was wondering, since this is a pretty inconspicuous area, how could I go about fixing this without taking it to a body shop. What steps are needed, what materials...etc... I figured I could sand it down, primer, spray can of color matched paint, re-clear and wet sand smooth?

Last edited by BrianB; 06-11-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd try featheredging the clear with wet 400-600, and re-clearing. If you get past the base, you'll have to blend, which means sand most of the panel down with 1000, extend the base for a couple feet, then re-clear the panel. be sure to clean the panel with detergent or body solvent thoroughly first.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, if it's not through the basecoat, then don't create more work for yourself especially if you're not an experienced painted. Feather out the jagged edges of that clearcoat with wet 600 being careful not to sand on the basecoat too much or it will go through that too. Then re-clear. You'll have to feather out your clearcoat also to blend it in or use a clearcoat edge melter. Either way, plan on sanding and buffing the clear.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 06-11-2006, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Ok, not to sound totally clueless, but what do you mean by featheredging. I am guessing that this means to light sand the area until you cannot see the edges of the damaged clear coat. To the point that it just looks like a paint defect, and then to reclear that area?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

exactly what you just said. You want to get rid of the rough edge from where the clear was....so the transition from clear to no clear is smooth and you can't feel it.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, feathering means basically going from a deep recessed area(your repair area) to a non-repair area at a gentle slope so when the repair is finished you won't be able to distinguish it from the non-repair.

Quick Reply: Any painters in here? Paint repair question! Need advice