Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cleaned up my LT1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaned up my LT1 intake

Doing a h/c swap, so I decided to do some appearance mods as well...

I did not have time to polish the intake, that will be done over the winter.
I polished the fuel rail covers and the TB as well. They both look like chrome.

My hands were full of oil, so I did not clean up the pieces for the pictures. More pictures to come after everything will be installed.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

looks really good. Did you take off the intake from inside the car? If sohow hard was it?
-Thanks Brandon
Old 06-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned

Cool beans man! I guess you used a wire wheel/drill on the intake? You might want to spray some clear over the brushed finish to keep it like that for a couple years.

Glad to see the effort on the 'ole LT1. ~Joshua
Old 06-14-2006, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

I just used an engine degreaser and carb cleaner to get all the dirt off. Then I took a drill and a wire brush and went to town on it. Only took about an hour to get it to look like it is.

I originally cleaned it and started to polish sand it and polish it to look like chrome. After about 20 minutes of that, I knew that I had way more to do than I originally thought. I had a short timeframe to get this polished, and I knew I would not be able to ge tno where near the quality that I would've wanted to.

Its coming off again this winter and thats when Im going to make it look like Joshuas engine bay.

Theres more goodies that I am still holding off on. More picture of when everything will be assembled, hopefully before the weekend.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1_man
looks really good. Did you take off the intake from inside the car? If sohow hard was it?
-Thanks Brandon
It was not hard at all to take off the car. Theres a lot of wires and plugs etc. that need to be disconnected, few bolts holding it in place, and dont forget about the fuel lines.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
I just used an engine degreaser and carb cleaner to get all the dirt off. Then I took a drill and a wire brush and went to town on it. Only took about an hour to get it to look like it is.

I originally cleaned it and started to polish sand it and polish it to look like chrome. After about 20 minutes of that, I knew that I had way more to do than I originally thought. I had a short timeframe to get this polished, and I knew I would not be able to ge tno where near the quality that I would've wanted to.

Its coming off again this winter and thats when Im going to make it look like Joshuas engine bay.

Theres more goodies that I am still holding off on. More picture of when everything will be assembled, hopefully before the weekend.
Pm replied.
I wish you luck, it's a lot of work as you know. I can't wait to see the results and call if you ever need tips/help. ~Joshua
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah Iam doing spare pieces now as well. Its hard though being that the lt1 is a daily driver. I have already done the valve covers and alt.
-Brandon
Old 06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

^ post up some pics.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

my camera is broke but once i get it fixed i will.
-Brandon
Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished this Optispark cover today. I'm playing around with some engineering ideas to take the whole friggin' rotor and plastic centerpiece out of the unit and have the front billet cover mounted directly to the rear aluminum bracket:

Before

After

You know how I told you that you could have your throttle body looking like a perfect mirror? When you've got a good quality forged or extruded billet casting like that Holley has, you can get optical clarity like this out of it:

Last edited by thesoundandthefury; 08-15-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

^That cover looks great.

The TB will have more polishing done to it. My main concern is putting the engine back together.

Quick Reply: Cleaned up my LT1 intake