Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Is it legal???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it legal???

Hey im interested in getting blackouts for my 98 Firebirds tail lights but I was just wondering if anyone knew the New York state law reguarding them. Ill prob get them anyway but im just lookin for some info. Thanks
Old 06-15-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

to my knowledge if you put blackouts one, you still have a completely stock 3rd brake like showing.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

In florida you are allowed to have blackouts on while in the city, but not on the interstate. I was stopped by a Trooper and had to pay 9 bucks, 4 at the city, 5 to the cops, and then have a city cop inspect it. The city cop even helped me put them back on after he verified they are off.....yeah...weird...I know! I was then stopped by a County Sherriff, he was gonna give me a hard time about it, but when I told him what the Trooper said, he let me go and I was never bothered again.

In other words, check with your state and local authorities.

Manny
Old 06-15-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're pretty much 'illegal' technically in any state, but it really depends on where you live if the cops care or not. Here in Charlotte they have more important things to worry about than a set of blackouts, but the little town in NY that I am from would not hesistate to take me to jail for something like that

Put them on, just be prepared for a ticket.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

I put my blackouts on like two weeks ago, there are sooo many cops around this town its not even funny. But ive yet to be stopped. Im in lindenhurst, ny; on long island (if thats near you, shouldnt really worry about it)

But if youre speeding around and tryin to get ahead of traffic and stuff like that; im sure they'll stop you for something =)
Old 06-15-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the vehicle factory lighting in any way is typically illegal. Even using clear corners with the orange bulbs in front and red bulbs in back is technically illegal in most states. The fact is very few cops or inspection stations will notice unless you get a real picky *****. If cop pulls you over for it I'd suspect that you live in a very slow town where the cops of nothing better to do or that they just want to bust your *****. Even the cops up near me have never hassled me for my lighting changes and I have them all.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, they are illegal in NYS.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks for the info guys. ill prob take my chances