Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Odometer question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer question?

Ok I just bought a camaro gauge cluster (i'm keeping the T/A gauge bezel on there don't worry!). I bought it so I can' use red LEDs to light the gauges, just something I prefer so it matches the rest of my interior lighting! My main concern is where is the info on the mileage stored for the odometer? I don't know how many miles this cluster has on them, but I would like to swap out parts and so on so I still have the right odometer reading when I swap out clusters! Thanks for the help in advance.
Dustin
Old 06-18-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey dustin, im almost positive that the mileage is stored in teh gauge cluster, you will need to somehow transfer the odometer over to your new cluster

I was taking aparty a spare gauge cluster because thats what i do with things, and you can just unplug the odometer and put yours in, but you have to take the needles off to get to it, so i dont know how you put them back one properly. you can come over and see the one i took apart so you know what your doing
Old 06-18-2006, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just gently pull the faceplate off the cluster itself and swap that odometer peice between the clusters. its 5 minutes to do and u dont need to remove the needles.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

thanks, im going to change the color of it while i'm at it, ill try the camaro cluster odometer first as a test!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
just gently pull the faceplate off the cluster itself and swap that odometer peice between the clusters. its 5 minutes to do and u dont need to remove the needles.

yeah hes right dustin, i took mine off the wrong way
Old 06-18-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

If cluster are swapped, you should have the replacement cluster re-synced with your PCM.

This will correct the airbag light (it'll be lite with the new cluster), and transfer your milage from your PCM into the new cluster. This will maintain your actual milage!

You'll need to use a Tech II scanner to de the re-sync. GM dealer and most AC/Delco garages will have one - they probably charge $50 - $75 for the service.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

thanks hawk, I got a buddy who works for a gm dealership so maybe he can hook me up, only thing is he has an IQ of like 10 and all that knowledge of his IQ is mechanical lol.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
If cluster are swapped, you should have the replacement cluster re-synced with your PCM.

This will correct the airbag light (it'll be lite with the new cluster), and transfer your milage from your PCM into the new cluster. This will maintain your actual milage!

You'll need to use a Tech II scanner to de the re-sync. GM dealer and most AC/Delco garages will have one - they probably charge $50 - $75 for the service.
what air bag light? i dont have any lights on mine and it works perfectly.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Usually the airbag needs to be re-sync'ed with a new cluster, I guess some dont.

Quick Reply: Odometer question?