Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaner wax ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cleaner wax ?

Ok , whats the difference between a "cleaner" wax and a regualar carnauba wax? is there any or is this just a marketing gimick ?

I ask because I used to use Mothers Cleaner wax, the shine was crap, but it did seem to keep my paint cleaner. I havent used it in almost a year and my paint doesnt look as good as it used to . Should I try some cleaner wax again or is all carnauba wax more or less the same as far as "cleaning" properties ?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna know too...TTT
Old 06-19-2006, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Meguires 3 step system has cleaner, polish, and carnauba wax. It looks **** and is soooo shiny after I wax it 3 times.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Like the name implies, cleaner waxes have "cleaners" in them which lightly clean and polish the paint and usually have very limited durability.

Quality carnauba waxes don't have those cleaners, so they won't do anything beyond providing a protective layer - their durability is better than a cleaner wax but still limited.

The true shine of your finish will come from proper prep work - claybar, polish with abrasive and/or cleaner, then wax/seal.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

So basically a cleaner wax is more appropriate when you don't want to do all the prep ?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

VERY limited durability - IE, it's gone after the week. IMO cleaner wax should be used only as a hold-me-over until a full scale wash and wax.

I've used cleaner wax in lieu of a proper prep. It has a nice cleaning effect, and a measurable swirl-hiding ability (Meg's cleaner at least). I've read some sources in the past that recommend cleaner waxing no more than 4 times in a year, leading me to believe that it could harm paint if done often enough, much like a claybar would if its not fine enough and used too frequently.

Just avoid getting it on your trim!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
VERY limited durability - IE, it's gone after the week. IMO cleaner wax should be used only as a hold-me-over until a full scale wash and wax.

I've used cleaner wax in lieu of a proper prep. It has a nice cleaning effect, and a measurable swirl-hiding ability (Meg's cleaner at least). I've read some sources in the past that recommend cleaner waxing no more than 4 times in a year, leading me to believe that it could harm paint if done often enough, much like a claybar would if its not fine enough and used too frequently.

Just avoid getting it on your trim!
So can I layer a regular wax on top of a cleaner wax? or does it depend on the wax ?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i always thought the cleaner wax was do just that "clean" like get the stuff the car wash didnt get

last time i washed/waxed my car i did a cleaner wax, then a full car Scratch-X swirl remover and then megiuers tech wax.

came out good
Old 06-19-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luna
So can I layer a regular wax on top of a cleaner wax? or does it depend on the wax ?
I highly recommend that you do. Cleaner wax is more specific toward cleaning (and protecting, to an extent) your paint. Its cleaning effect is also capable of shedding old wax, so it gives you a great base to lay some fresh stuff over it.

Also, cleaner wax will take off things that a normal wash won't get. I find it's particularly effective at getting rid of waterspots - both those before the wash and those incurred before you dry. If you're doing an entire car by yourself, it takes out the concern of waterspotting. Furthermore, it eases away bugs better than a wash. I recommend using claybars for contaminants at that level, but the cleaner wax will get the job done.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

but remember if your paint surface isnt clean or has contaminants or anything on it, you shouldnt really be waxing it yet anyway.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

For general purposes Cleaner Wax= Polish. They both have mild abrasives in them that clean the paint. Now some polishes are more abrasive than others but both typically do the same thing and serve the same purpose.

Quick Reply: Cleaner wax ?