Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting SS hood and spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006 | 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

both the bodyshops i went to couldnt even match my black! one was too light the other was too dark
Old 06-22-2006 | 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Did you still pay for it even though it didnt match?
Old 06-22-2006 | 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

A buddy of mine is going to paint my hood, spoiler, cme valance, fuel rail covers, ten spokes, and a roll pan on my wife's dodge dakota for $175. I'm buying the paint and all the associated materials for $200. I'm glad I've got friends.

I'll see how the color matching and the overall appearance of the car comes out. I'll try to post pics after this weekend.

If it comes out good, anyone in Central Cali need some stuff painted?
Old 06-23-2006 | 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by parbreak
I think some of you guys are mixing up terms color matching and blending. If you have the code, any paint shop can "color match" the paint or as said above if you have a swatch or they can scan it in to get a match. That's one thing. Blending is a WHOLE different topic and does not relate to color matching other than assuming that you've mixed up the right color paint. Even with the EXACT mix, metallics can still lay down to look different on adjacent panels by even the most experienced painters for the reasons I outlined above(air pressure, reducer amount, distance from gun to surface, etc. ,etc., etc.) What blending into the adjacent panels does is "trick" the eye into seeing a perfect match by not have a distinct line between the new paint and the old paint but rather "blending" the new into the old so it is not
so obvious. This is why I say the dealer's painter in the original post is absolutely correct in the case that the hood should be blended into the front quarter panels. Whether you choose to have the dealer do it or not is irrelevant, any painter should do that on a color like Light Pewter Metallic or any silver color as well as other metallics, pearls, etc.

Bryan
parbreak

amen, you are correct
Old 06-23-2006 | 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

What is the average price it would cost to get a hood painted black to match my car.
Old 06-24-2006 | 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
What is the average price it would cost to get a hood painted black to match my car.
Depends on the shop, but most likely in the $300-500 range.

Quick Reply: Painting SS hood and spoiler?