Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

tint dot matrix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tint dot matrix?

I spoke to the tint shop about getting a show quality finish on the dot matrix.
I suggested they stop at the dot matrix and cover it in vinyl. The guy who owns the place said the vinyl would have to be on the outside of the window.
Should I be able to put the vinyl on the inside of the window with no problems or would painting it be a better option? What is the best way to acheive show quality?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people sand the dots to a smooth finish. I've used razor blades on my to smooth them. Its all in the prep-work. You can still have dots, just need to work to make them smoother. You could also get rid of them all together.

Duff
Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

vinyl on the outside of the window would be a big no-no, esp a show car. :fugly:
Old 06-27-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have black vinyl on the inside...the shop sanded the dots a little first. I have no bubbles and it looks great.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO the only way for a SHOW QUALITY look is to paint the dot matrix area, it will give a flawless look where sanding, glue and even vinyl is a 50/50 chance it will look good. Why risk it?

Here is mine with painted dot matrix area......................

Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I painted my dot matrix from the inside with flat black engine enamel. It looks awesome, I get complements on it all the time.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Ok sounds good I will paint it flat black.Any tips? Do I need to remove the hatch?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

The place that I am gonna get my **** tinted at sprays this epoxy on it, and then tints over that for a extra 40 bucks, making hte back and sidewindows 160 bucks, they will also re-tint if I get a ticket cheaper, and also will re-tint if any problems come up.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

I've never heard of black vinyl having any problems there?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sh4Dy
Ok sounds good I will paint it flat black.Any tips? Do I need to remove the hatch?
nope...

I just use a couple of sheets to cover everything up and newpaper and masking tape on the hatch itself. I painted mine with the hatch open sitting in the back seat area. Its glass, so use thin coats so it wont run; i didn't have any problems with it running, but thin coats is always a good idea on things that are upside down and slick. I didn't have to do any prep (sanding etc) to it besides a little rubbing alcohol to clean it.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

I am not very good at paint so I had my friend come over and spray it. We used duplicolor engine enamel. Went to 3 different stores none had flat black so we used low gloss black. I wiped it down good with rubbing alcohol. He insisted On spraying it all at once insead of doing coats. It looked perfect, let it dry overnight. Came back teh next morning parts of it were still perfect but on the corners and in the middle it looks like the paint bubbled around the dots just like the tint would Had to go buy paint thinner and spend the afternoon removing it Not sure what to do now. What would cause this? Is it just because we didnt do it in light coats?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sh4Dy
I am not very good at paint so I had my friend come over and spray it. We used duplicolor engine enamel. Went to 3 different stores none had flat black so we used low gloss black. I wiped it down good with rubbing alcohol. He insisted On spraying it all at once insead of doing coats. It looked perfect, let it dry overnight. Came back teh next morning parts of it were still perfect but on the corners and in the middle it looks like the paint bubbled around the dots just like the tint would Had to go buy paint thinner and spend the afternoon removing it Not sure what to do now. What would cause this? Is it just because we didnt do it in light coats?
Yep. One single coat is too thck, and can bubble. Try spraying multiple light coats about 10-15 minutes apart until you can't see through it.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Spray lightly, let it tack up for like 30 seconds than hit it with a second coat thats a but more uniform, but still light, the first misting gave this coat somthing to hang onto. let that dry for a few mins, then go back over it again, this time moving the can slower across the panal, then let that dry for about 5 mins, then go back and get r dun!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why in the hell are you guys not just having it tinted with the rest of the window?!?!? Any GOOD tint shop can tint right over it with no problems... Done it on three of my F-Bodies and seen it on quite a few others.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

One thing that crossed my mind was spraying the dot matrix section with vht nightshade. Any one ever done this before?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is an ancient thread but the black camaro looks great and I am going to paint the dots but had a question. Do you paint them and then have the tint shop tint over the paint?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

HOOOOOOOOOLLLY grave digging thread revival batman!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, paint over the dots, let it cure a week then gently sand the edge or you'll get a white bubble line anyway. I cleaned with paint thinner and then sprayed down a coat of adhesion promoter before painting. Keep the coats light and you'll be good to go. also, in between coats lower the hatch and prop it up so that part of the window is level and it'll be sure not to pull away from the tape edge. Plastic painters tape will give the cleanest edge BTW.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would it be easier to just have them tint over the dots and if it looks like **** after a week or so just cut out the dot area then spray paint it? So I won't risk ******* something up lol

Bump. Anyone have any input?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS LS1
IMO the only way for a SHOW QUALITY look is to paint the dot matrix area, it will give a flawless look where sanding, glue and even vinyl is a 50/50 chance it will look good. Why risk it?

Here is mine with painted dot matrix area......................

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_323_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_328_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_346_full.jpg
That tint is sooo dark haha! I just had 15% on my back window and that close up, you can see in it.

Quick Reply: tint dot matrix?