Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I wanna fix the headliner in my car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna fix the headliner in my car.

I 94 camaro with the hard top, and the headliner's been falling for a while. I wanna fix it myself since I dont have any dough to give for a new headliner or to re-upholster it. Someone told me I should use some glue like whats used for crafts, but what kind? I know I'll also need on of those little rollers. Should I shave off the foam all the way to the cardboard since its deteriorating anyways?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

How i did it was go to any hardware store and pick up carpet adhesive. Just spray it inbetween the hanging part and the cardboard and stick it up there. I sprayed it directly on the foam, and stuck the cloth to it. Didnt work. I ended up just running my fingers across the foam till it was gone and resprayed it. It stuck finally.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

The foam is gone and that's what causes it to fall. You can't really just reglue it. Well you can but it's not goint to look too good or last very long. If it's doing it in one spot it will get bigger within a short amount of time. The best thing to do is to redo the whole thing. It's not hard to do really just takes some patiance.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
The foam is gone and that's what causes it to fall. You can't really just reglue it. Well you can but it's not goint to look too good or last very long. If it's doing it in one spot it will get bigger within a short amount of time. The best thing to do is to redo the whole thing. It's not hard to do really just takes some patiance.
Now can the headliner cloth thats in it now be re-used if wipe off the any foam thats on it? Could be kinda difficult to line it up correctly.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Once you clean off the old foam all you are left with is the cloth. You can go to a upholstery supply shop and pick up some to redo your headliner. You just need about 2 yards. It costs about $11 a yard maybe less depending on where you go. I think I've seen the material at PepBoys but I've never bought it from there so I'm not too sure how good it is. I've done a several headliners and it's pretty easy. The curves around the Ttops or on a hard top in the same area are the hardest part and if you take your time and are careful it really isn't too bad.

Where are you located?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

definatly take that advice, reusing the old cloth makes it look like ***.

Quick Reply: I wanna fix the headliner in my car.