Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these cars are almost 5 to 7 years old the warranty is long gone get over it
Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for the record, my 2000 Z28 had bubbles.

My 1998 Z28 doesn't...

So I see from both sides. I just hope my '98 stays that way.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Restricted User

yep mine is bubbling too but no popping of bubbles just yet...but i imagine that it will happen sooner or later. BOTH of my friends cars are doing it and they look like the cars have fiberglass diseases or soem **** lol dealer should be willing to do something about it they messed up alot of places with these cars (ex: window motors,headlight motors on firebirds, interior door panels cracking, roof bubbling, turn signals going out every 2 days, WTF!?!?!?)
Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WADDISME
Are there no lawyer members who can give us some directions ? It hasn't started on mine yet, but it seems like it will, and I plan on keeping it for quite a while. Too many mods left to do

There are remedies outside a warranty. Without going into all the various in/outs, and just practically speaking ...

For remedies outside a warranty (i.e. consumer protection laws), you generally need to establish some sort of "representation" by the manufacturer that you relied on to your detriment. Uphill battle if you are not the original owner and warranty is expired.

Next, you have to present a claim within "limitations" (timeframe allowed to bring a lawsuit). This timeframe may be set by statute or developed in case law depending on what type of misrepresentation you are relying upon (express provision in the warranty, versus ones established in "common law" for quality/fitness related issues). Sometimes these timeframes expire before "discovery" of the defect.

Original owners have a much better shot under the rule of "discovery" since the defect appears to be a latent production defect, and would have been covered under the terms of the original express warranty.

When bringing a lawsuit, you need to tell a persuasive story. I tend to believe decisions in the courthouse are results oriented, regardless of what you hear in political commentary. If the roof problem were a life & limb issue, I think you could expect to be able to persuade a judge of a legal argument around bad facts, such as a limitations problem or lack of privity with the manufacturer (i.e. second owner, outside warranty) that might otherwise get your case summarily dismissed. But this roof issue is primarily, if not solely, cosmetic.

The broader public policies generally underpinning product defect laws and consumer misrepresentation laws don't appear to be implicated under these circumstances. Therefore, you are probably not going to find a sympathetic ear at the courthouse looking for a way to help you recover.

Although there are generally provisions for recovering attorney's fees in consumer protection laws, given the circumstances, I think you'll have very little chance of getting an attorney interested in pursuing a $1000 claim for you beyond maybe a $250 demand letter, and only as long as you pay the $250 upfront

GM knows all this. That's why it's basically a customer service issue at this point. They aren't going to just pay it for the asking.

It's a lot of pain and suffering (couldn't resist) for a $1000 claim. This cuts both ways obviously, but if you choose to pursue it with more than just a demand, you might have to be willing to invest/risk the money you could have just otherwise gone ahead and fixed the roof with.

Insert standard disclaimer here
Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

98, no bubbles so far.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

knock on wood..98 no bubbles....
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I called gm last week and they wouldn't do **** about my paint bubbling issues. I have 36K miles on my car and it is a 99 model. I sent them pictures of my car and gave them the technical service bulletin number that was in the document posted on this site. I get this response back. "I'm sorry sir, we can not find anything that matches that. Your car is out of warrenty and GM will be unable to help you. Is there anything else I can help you with today?" I was like wtf, you didn't help me with the issue I called you about. GM can't fix a problem that they created? I told the guy the address for my website that had some pictures of my car and he's like, oh this isn't an english keyboard, i can't find that key. This is an American automaker but I'm talking to someone who can barely speak English and is apparently in a different country? Needless to say I just hung the phone up.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are starting to look bad, although none have popped yet.

Luckily my dad is an estimator at the local Chevy Dealer's body shop, so I think that I'm covered.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

98 146k, nothing yet!!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine are slowly getting worse.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Regular

I have two, but they haven't gotten any worse in the last 2 years so I think I am going to leave it alone. I might make it worse if I tried to have it fixed.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Here's a thread I started .. maybe you can find some use in it

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=class+action
Old 10-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirehawkNS
I have two, but they haven't gotten any worse in the last 2 years so I think I am going to leave it alone. I might make it worse if I tried to have it fixed.
Thats how I was at first. I pointed them out to a service rep, at the place I bought it. Just two or 3 little bubbles. 2 years later that chevy dealers closed and my roof looks like crap. If your under 36,000 take care of it now its only going to get worse. and when it does get worse chevy will just laugh and say sorry its way out of warrenty... sucker.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by merckx
Thats how I was at first. I pointed them out to a service rep, at the place I bought it. Just two or 3 little bubbles. 2 years later that chevy dealers closed and my roof looks like crap. If your under 36,000 take care of it now its only going to get worse. and when it does get worse chevy will just laugh and say sorry its way out of warrenty... sucker.

Not under 36k more like just a hair under 100k miles. That is the reason I hope it doesn't get any worse since I already have such high milage.

Quick Reply: talked to gm about roof bubbles