Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Used PC to get rid of swirls

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Ooh. I'll look into this. Any other buffer recommendations?
Dewalt and Makita both have sanders/buffers available but they cost a lot more. Funny thing is.. Hitachi comes with a 5yr warranty while the others are far less, the Hitachi is pretty light too. I dont know how Coastal Tool can sell the Hitachi for so little, I havent found anywhere else with a comparable price. Hitachi is a really good brand name too... so dont think a Hitachi is a "cheap" tool.

FWIW my work sells Makita, Hitachi, and Dewalt... I cant even get the Hitachi, or any of them, for less then Coastal Tools price even with my employee discount of 10% above our cost.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

which menzerna did you use ? what speed on the PC, white polishing pad ??

i have detailed about 10 different f-bodies including my own and i will say this,
Intensive Polish with a yellow cutting pad and speed # 6 will take care of most anything / everything
Old 07-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Hell, your HAND can get the job done. But the fact is, professional grade solutions like the one TP mentioned are the only things that can remove just about every paint perfection, in minimal time, with perfect results each time. IMO, price isn't so much a problem as experience when you start talking about body-shop quality work.
Thank You.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gipraw
yea, I should have clarified my statement a bit more. what I meant was for beginners, a PC is almost always going to remove less material than a rotary.. wasn't meaning for that comment to apply to all situations.

I agree with you on that. But I can take a rotary with a 8" waffled black 3M pad, and 3M hand glaze and make a dark colored car look like you can reach your hand into it. I could probably take the swirls out of a black car- the whole car- in less than an hour with a rotary. Then, the amount of time wiping it down with a glaze and final cleanup is up to how meticulous you are.

A rotary is nothing to be afraid of- if you have any type of hand/eye cooridination and you are willing to go slow. Normally, I tell guys to just tape any edges or points where you will be buffing- 99% of problems stem from those areas.

Again- I agree with what you guys are pointing out- a rotary in the unskilled hands could mean instant death to a nice paintjob.

Quick Reply: Used PC to get rid of swirls