Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how much window tinting is safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
roll your windows down so the cop can see you
That may help, depending on the situation, but if they look at you while driving and cannot see you through the window you may have a problem. Simply rolling the window down after you have been pulled over may result in nothing more than a command to roll your window partly up so they can test it.

Driving around with your windows down all the time is not feasible and defeats the purpose of having window tint.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

no i understand, im talking if you see a cop down the block just simply roll your windows down..then 10 secs later back up
Old 07-21-2006, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

no i understand, im talking if you see a cop down the block just simply roll your windows down..then 10 secs later back up
That's a good plan, but do you really think you can spot every cop and roll your window down before they see you?

Definately not a long term solution.

Even if that were possible some of us have significant others that would curse us up and down for rolling both windows down all the way when it is 3* F outside.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol the best solution is to just stick to the legal limits. if you can't legally tint your windows, don't worry about it. these cars already look good as it is, we don't need tint like these winged civics do to turn a head in a positive way. we always look goooooood
Old 07-21-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssPetess
In PA, it's illegal to have any tint on the front, driver, and passenger windows no matter what the percentage. It's a matter of safety. The glass on these windows is tempered to shatter in the case of an accident. If you have film tint on the glass, it is not longer safe.
I guess you have never seen a car thats tinted with a broke window. Why do you think it's unsafe? Just heard it or what? In most cases, tint actually makes it safer. The tint holds the shattered glass together and keeps it from flying all over the car. They went to tempered glass to stop the big pieces from flying in an accident. So now instead of one big piece that breaks, and could cut your head off, you have a thousand tiny pieces cutting the **** out of every part of your body.

For the most part tint doesnt even affect the glass in a wreck. It usually just rips when the glass shatters. I've seen tons of wrecks in my old job, maybe I'm wrong and you can provide me with some proof tint makes car glass more dangerous. In 15+ years I've never seen it cause more damage. If anything it helps.

Back on track. Every car I have ever had has been at least 5% or darker. I remember back in the mini truck days we used to paint all the back windows. I live in Vegas and have never been pulled over for tint, straight pipes or no front plate. I do have friends that have been pulled over and told to remove it, but they were being idiots when they got pulled over. For the most part, Vegas cops are pretty cool. They only mess with people that are being idiots or doing something stupid.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Florida %s

Windshield - Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 28% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Rear Window - Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

maryland over here. no one has ever stopped me about my tint. i have 15% sides and 15% back. i figured that having t-tops the light shining in through there would make the tint look less dark, even though the t-tops are fairly dark stock. oh well i tinted those suckers 0% anyway lol
Old 07-21-2006, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

I've been pulled over 3 times for tint already, just pay a 10.00 fine each time. I drive with the windows down now everywhere, everytime. My friends get pissed off but i tell them, "hey, unless you want to pay for the ticket, the windows stay down"... and I've actually had friends tell me that they would pay for my tickets, lol
Old 07-21-2006, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

two of my good friends have had limo all the way around....one on a toyota tundra and another on a red z28 never one issue......never got pulled over for it or had it mentioned when they were pulled over....but ive heard many stories go the other way around
Old 07-21-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 99m6t/a
The only thing about cops that sucks is a town just N. of me has 3 undercover 4th gen Camaros and a porsche that will pull up next to you at a light and rev up and try to get you to race and when you take off if you spin they get you for reckless driving.

dude you gotta tell me what town this is!!!!! when i drive Xcountry i'm goin through that town and i'll be lookin for these cops
Old 07-21-2006, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Ct. here. I got pulled over specifically for the window tint. When he came up to the car the first thing he said to me was to pull the window up half way. He then put a device on the window which read 3%. I had 5% tint all around, but with the factory tint it read 3%. He then wrote me a ticket for $133.00.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Not yet, knock on wood...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Just had my sides done a couple weeks ago by a professional installer. (Back was done 15% when I got it) Ohio states 50% on the sides; so I asked the installer when people come back to you to have the tint replaced cause they got busted, what % tint were you removing the most?? They told me almost every time they are removing 20% or darker. So I played it somewhat safe and went with 35% on the sides. Still illegal but looks great and I like it.

What kind of pissed me off a little was when they told me they have done many personal cars for cops and they typically would get 5-15%. I'm thinking yeah cause they know they can get away with it!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"New Hampshire state law does NOT allow tint on the front side windows."

looks like i cant tint my damn windows like i wanted too
Old 07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Has anybody got anything worse than a $100-200 fine and been told to take off the tint?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

ouch 133 bux, that blows.. in IL it says no tint on front side windows, but i think if i went with 35 i could get away with it, as long as the fine is only 10 bux.... i dont want any 133 dollar crap
Old 07-22-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

careful in GA. they are pretty hardcore when it comes to tint. They really don't giva **** about the rear partly becuase they're gauges don't fit back there but because they want to see the driver. Better off getting 35% on the sides.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a safety issue, in the academy we went through scenarios....you cant see what people have, you cant tell whos inside, and your just plain in the dark...majority of the time your gonna get more then one officer if its a vehicle like that....im going home at night
Old 07-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Teching In

I have Limo tint all the way around on my firehawk. I don't have a front license plate. I have Racing headers, no cats, and a loudmouth exhaust. I havent had problems with any of the above, and all of them are illigal where I live in el paso, tx.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

I live in Cleveland Ohio and my tint is 15% all the way around. I was talking to the guy who did my tint and he said "Well, since you don't really need back windows you can go as dark as you want...think about cargo vans with no back windows." He then went on to say, "Just put your windows down if there is a cop around you." His brother is a cop here in Cleveland and he said the cops would rather mess with the Ricers and not the American Muscle cars...Thus far, no ones given me a single look with my 15%.

Quick Reply: how much window tinting is safe?