Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how much window tinting is safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been pulled over and they checked it. As long as your are not a dick to them they will be cool with you. They can actually rip it off right there if they wanted too. I doubt they would that though.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is a bunch of ****. They should just have it mandatory that when you are pulled over to roll the windows down immediately. Like alot of things in life, the scumbags in the world **** it up for everyone.

With that said every vehicle I own, have owned, and will own, has, had, or will have 5%. Never had any trouble.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

if youre in IN...i dont think theyll say anything at all. in IL the only time ive ever had a warning is when the state cops were in my small town pulling everyone over for every little thing...like theyre told to do...i have no problems with state cops, theyre doing what they got to since the state is going broke. youll be ok.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I've posted my thoughts countless times regarding window tint and what it's like to approach a tinted vehicle at night...these threads are all the same:

Cliff Notes: All cops who write any form of traffic citation for any violation big or small are <insert explicative here>. Conversely, any cop who stops someone for any violation, but lets them off with a warning, is cool. Oh yeah, we should be out fighting real crime instead of wasting time generating revenue by writing stupid/undeserved/unfounded tickets.

Anyway, I'll reserve my comments to legal facts in regards to Pennsylvania laws:

PA Title 75, sect. 4524 (e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.--in a nutshell, all window tint is prohibited on side windows, windshield, and side wing windows unless it's factory installed. The only exceptions to this rule are those vehicles with a state-issued certificate of exemption. These exemptions are only issued to government vehicles, ambulances, hearses, etc. or to those who demonstrate a medical need for tinted windows. These exemptions are issued to the vehicle and are not transferrable when the vehicle is sold. Here's a link to the full-blown legal document:
http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor.../chapter45.pdf
Old 07-22-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

I have 5% all the way around and 20% on my front window, yes 20% on the front window. I got pulled over after I got my 5% (about a year ago) and couldn't roll down my windows because the tint wasn't dry yet. So I just opened my door before the cop approached and he didn't say anything or do anything about me opening the door or the 5%. He just told me to be more careful because I supposely ran a red light. All you need to do is just roll your windows down if you get pulled over.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

I live in TX and the cops here are cool with just about anything little like that.

I don't have a front LP, I have 15% tint all the way around, no cats, obvious smell of no cats, my exhaust is dumped. I have clear corners with regular, non amber lights and headlight blackouts. I have never been stopped for any of these things in the almost 2 years I have had this car.

Although one cop added the front LP onto my ticket for 32 over. Cool think is this: I never had to pay that ticket at all. It was lost.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

When I got my 95z from Missouri, the very next day I was pulled over and warned for driving 57 mph in a 55 zone, cited for taillight covers (didn't even know they were illegal or I would have removed them before even touching the car), front license plate (had it in my front window until I could get a bracket for it), loud exhaust (all the bikers around here wake the dead in the summer, and they don't get touched and some trucks even run open headers...its Iowa ), and illegal tint (I could have 35% tint, they tested at about 33%). $120 in fines (not too bad), first time pulled over for anything, no warning, get it fixed and pay all fines... . I'm actually shocked that he didn't check for cats or have my car towed on the spot!

Even the assistant County Attorney asked what I did wrong to **** the Patrolman off. I was polite and courteous the whole time and even made an effort to get well off the highway so he wouldn't be in harms way.

I was thinking that a warning would have sufficed, I would have fixed everything he found wrong.

That's my diatribe for the day.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spoyld029
I live in Cleveland Ohio and my tint is 15% all the way around. I was talking to the guy who did my tint and he said "Well, since you don't really need back windows you can go as dark as you want...think about cargo vans with no back windows." He then went on to say, "Just put your windows down if there is a cop around you." His brother is a cop here in Cleveland and he said the cops would rather mess with the Ricers and not the American Muscle cars...Thus far, no ones given me a single look with my 15%.
Stay the heck out of Linndale.... those **** cops patrol their 1.5 mile stretch of I-71 like junkyard dogs and will pull you over for anything. Ditto for Rocky River. I know from experience.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive had my car for almost two yers and it has had illegal tint since i got it and never had a problem. I usually have my windows down though so they dont notice as much but driving at night its kinda hard to see.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99m6t/a
The only thing about cops that sucks is a town just N. of me has 3 undercover 4th gen Camaros and a porsche that will pull up next to you at a light and rev up and try to get you to race and when you take off if you spin they get you for reckless driving.
Thats entrapment and last I checked that is illegal. So bring it to court, and it will be thrown out. Im pretty certain anyway.

As for tint, its really a matter of how you drive. I live here in NJ, my buddy has 15 all around on his 05 gto and has had no problems. Just drop the windows if you have to. Im getting 5% all around, but im also moving so South Florida in a week. I've got a new system going in soon, so It's my little added security, along with trying to keep the heat out. And it looks great. So measure your needs, 15 is a great alternative. Anything lighter to me looks pointless... thats just my .02.

Also, look at it like this. Sort of like having no front plate here in NJ. If they pull you over for speeding or some crap, you can get away with just a no front plate or tint ticket instead of that speeding. Ofcourse, he could be a douche and nail you for everything, but if you're nice and respectful, your chances are better for just the small fine id say from personal experience.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

35% windshield, 20% sides and rear. Visibility is great and it cuts down on glare. Plus the windshield tint makes the rest of it look darker than it really is.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

man, I am not even worried about a $10 ticket, because I heard that if you get in an accident and it is your fault and you have tint, then insurance won't even cover because they will say that you could not see.....I actually do not know if that is true.....
Old 07-23-2006, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

lol thats insane. maybe... MAYBE if you have the windshield tinted. But ive never heard anything like that before for the other windows being tinted. I'll smack my insurance rep until they pay up if thats true.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Teching In

I did 20% on the sides and 5% on the rear - both illegal in my state. It doesn't look too obvious since my car is black, a friend of mine has it on a white car and wow... The difference is staggering when you have a stark contrast color next to it.

I'm friends with all of the local police though, so I'm ok.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
man, I am not even worried about a $10 ticket, because I heard that if you get in an accident and it is your fault and you have tint, then insurance won't even cover because they will say that you could not see.....I actually do not know if that is true.....
I'd say that's a load of bs.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got pulled over the other day in the S-10 for the tint and its only 35% on the sides. Gave me a written warning (Illinois state cop). They are the only ones that i have had trouble with. One good thing...it was a hot *** blonde Glad i wasnt in the SS. Would have got me for tint,no front plate,tinted liscense cover..........and god knows what else. Oh and she was new so their was a guy with her, which i didnt see until he walked in front of my truck with a damn tape measure like it was too low or something. Its just a factory extreme but he didnt say nothing.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99m6t/a
that will pull up next to you at a light and rev up and try to get you to race and when you take off if you spin they get you for reckless driving.
isn't that entrapment?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

i got 32 on the sides because it is illegal altogether here in CA and i dont have power windows, other wise I would have gone with 18. Anyways had it for about 3 months with not being pulled over.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
that's not true. i go to school in PA and lots of people have dark windows driving around. in PA, it's legal to have 70% tint all the way around, but none on your visor according to this website:

http://www.tintdude.com/ntoo.html

but it can't be film tint, it has to be net tint.
Yes, I should have stated that it is illegal to have any film tint...
Old 08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
careful in GA. they are pretty hardcore when it comes to tint. They really don't giva **** about the rear partly becuase they're gauges don't fit back there but because they want to see the driver. Better off getting 35% on the sides.
definately true...GA thru out the tint law, but since last July (around that time) when they reinstated it they are giving tickets like crazy. it used to be as long as you had 20% or higher on the side the only one that would **** with you was the GSP. Now if you have darker then 32 on the sides they will bust ur ***.

Quick Reply: how much window tinting is safe?