Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wash/wax help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wash/wax help!

ok, my car is dir-tay since i didnt have a chance to wash it last week, an my girl is comin down tommorrow, so i really gotta clean mah beast up, BUT, its supposed to t-storm tommorrow! im already workin on the weekend, so washing it this weekend is out the question.

i guess my question is - wut can i do after it rains to preserve my wax job? i guess i can just run the absorber over it, but wuld i have to put on a light coat after that? i dont a car cover yet, and it's my d/d. any advice?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a sealant on top of your wax. Duragloss Aquawax! After it rains, dry it off and quick-detail off the dirt and waterspots.

Wax will reduce surface tension of water and bead it, which encourages it to roll off the car. The suggestion above is what I'd do, but really, a QD over just the wax is fine.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmm, so the auquawax is a sealant to put on top of ur wax? ill hafta try it, thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, a sealant is usually a stand-alone product designed to be a synthetic replacement for wax. Often times, people layer sealants on top of (carnauba) waxes to get the "best of both words". Waxes, especially carnauba based ones, have a warm, deep appearance to them (good for dark cars), where-as sealants lend themselves better to a "blingy" look (good for light cars) and provide superior durability. An example of a popular sealant is Zaino.

Despite its name, Aquawax is actually a sealant. I've read in the past from some people that it has a "darkening" effect on their cars; something desirable for darker colored cars. It also produces an attractive shine on TOP of anything you may have put on before it. The result is akin to freshly-applied quick detailer.

In my opinion, its durability is mediocre (3-5 weeks). For an excellent wax job needing another layer of protection that'll preserve its intensity, Aquawax is perfect! Hence my recommendation.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

No. Sealants should go *under* carnauba waxes. A pure sealant will not bond properly over a carnauba.

Duragloss Aquawax is a wax-as-you-dry product, and one should not expect significant durability from it.

If you need lasting protection, I would suggest a good sealant like Zaino, Werkstatt, EX-P, etc.

If your car gets rained on, wash it. Don't just wipe it down.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I cannot stress enough how important this is. Dry wipe downs or even a wipe down with a quick detailer without washing off all the dirt and "crud" on your car is asking for swirls.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
No. Sealants should go *under* carnauba waxes. A pure sealant will not bond properly over a carnauba.
Ah yes, thank you for this important correction!

Duragloss Aquawax is a wax-as-you-dry product, and one should not expect significant durability from it.
I wasn't.

I recommended a wipe down in regards to:

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
im already workin on the weekend, so washing it this weekend is out the question.
I myself usually wash my car after rain, but find me turning to a QD in a quick bind. I use Collinite, so losing wax integrity over rain won't happen for a few more months (no scratches). H20 spray off, MF pass, QD, mf pass. Maybe I should get some waterless wash!

And also, let me take the opportunity to recommend Collinite for DD, dark, 24/7 outside cars.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is this collinite? where can you get it?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Collinite makes boat waxes, so you should be able to find it at an outdoor rec shop. They have 3-4 waxes for cars, the most popular of their auto waxes being 476SP. It's marketed as a "permanent wax", but realistically (and at best), I've heard of durability of up to 6 months. I put a layer on my girlfriend's Grand Cherokee, took it on a 4000-mile, two week round trip full of rain, dirt, dust storms, a 5-mile swarm of bugs (in New Mexico!), extreme heat, tree sap, and the other worsts of nature, and water is STILL beading. It wasn't necessarily a test of time, but we abused the finish and it was still kicking after a simple one-pass wash. Wow.

If you can't find it physically, the internet will hook you up.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

so being a "wax" shuld i apply that after the aquawax, and then use my nxt paste wax?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal experience with Collinite is that it is EXTREMELY durable...
Old 07-27-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

so being a "wax" shuld i apply that after the aquawax, and then use my nxt paste wax?
Don't get too caught up in using layer upon layer of different wax, especially when you're using different brands. The general rule of thumb when layering is sealant then wax. Polymer-based sealants (like Zaino, Blackfire, and I'm assuming Collinite, though I've never used it) adhere to the clearcoat. If you put wax between the sealant and the clearcoat, it won't adhere and you won't get the same longevity. Also, when using a wax as a top coat, try to avoid cleaner waxes (NXT has some cleaning capabilities). Cleaner waxes do just what the name implies, they clean the surface to which they're applied. If you have a sealant or another wax already applied, your cleaner wax will remove part of that.

When I use a wax over a sealant, I typically use a good carnuba wax, like Mother's California Gold or Meguiar's Gold Class.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, so im thinkin i shuld try out the collinite first, after a nice clay session, then apply my gold class as the top coat?

also, are the directions of use the same for this collinite as any other sealant (i.e. cool, clean surface, dont apply in sun, etc.)?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Ive always used Meguiars Gold Class Carnuba and my car looks great even after a couple of waxes id look at all of the advice given and decide by considering the color of your car, how much time you have to put into it and how long you want it to look good.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

That's exactly backwards - if you choose those products, the order would be NXT, Collinite, and Aquawax.

Quick Reply: wash/wax help!