Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Applied Z-2 without ZFX...is this ok?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Applied Z-2 without ZFX...is this ok?

I had prepped the car for Zaino and than couldn't find my damn ZFX so I was forced to apply it without. So I just put on the one coat and the car is sitting overnight in the garage and I won't take it off until tommorow. Will probably pull it out to let it bake in the sun a little first, before removing it, so that its hopefully fully cured.

My concern is that on the Zaino website they make it seem mandatory to use ZFX for your first coat...however on the bottle it doesn't say anything about ZFX at all.

So whats the deal, am I ok, or should I start over? I wanted to apply a couple more coats tommorow but I don't know if I should...is my base coat now doomed?

PS- for the record it was the old Z-2 and not the new Z-2 Pro b/c I couldnt find that either. I finally was able to find my box with the ZFX and new Z-2 pro which I will use tommorow.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 08-13-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's not mandatory. Just makes it faster.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mcgodx
Well thats what I thought but on the website it says this about Z2:

For your initial application, enable Z-2 PRO™ by mixing with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator as directed by the instructions included with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator. It is critical that you use ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator with Z-2 PRO™ for the initial application, or if multiple layers are to be applied within a 24 hour time period.*
The strange thing is like I said, on the directions on the actual Z2 bottle it just says allow to dry 15 mins or longer and remove, as if it were any other wax or sealant...doesn't mention anything about ZFX in the directions on the bottle.

So if it can dry in 15mins on its own (per the directions on the bottle) like any other sealant, than whats the point of the ZFX and why does it say ZFX is critical on the website. Really inconsistent info!

Last edited by KB99WS6; 08-13-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Unless I'm mistaken there used to be a Z1 which is the base coat to help it "stick" to your paint. ZFX just replaces that step in the process so instead of Z1 then Z2 it's now just Z2+ZFX at the same time. So I guess the question is, is this your very first coat of Zaino? Don't quote me cause things might have changed since I first started using Zaino. Many others here use it and I'm sure they'll chime in too.

JasonG
Old 08-13-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Yes I know that ZFX replaced Z1, but I am still not sure if ZFX is mandatory or not for the first coat, and also for subsequent coats as well. Again, the directions on the actual bottle do not say anything about ZFX, or Z1...it's just directions like any other wax or sealant. You'd think if it was really mandatory it would be on the directions on the bottle of Z2....and Z5 too.

I did 3 or 4 coats of Zaino on it about 10 months ago, Not sure if zaino was still on the car or not, but the finish was still smooth, but I am considering it my first coat since it was 10 months since it was last zaino'd.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Without the ZFX, it won't adhere as well to the paint, so you won't get the same longevity out of it.

-Mike
Old 08-13-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ask Zane-O
Old 08-13-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
I had prepped the car for Zaino
What did you do to prep the car?

If you still had Zaino on the finish, it's nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by mcgodx
This is incorrect. ZFX is mandatory for the initial coat.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't wash with dawn or clay bar or anything. I just washed with the Zaino car wash and than detail sprayed the whole car to remove any water marks or extra dirt etc. reason being b/c the paint was still very smooth, so I thought there was still zaino on the car. usually I can tell when there is no more sealant on the car b/c you will feel a slightly resistance/coarsness when you slid a towel across the finish. But it was still smooth.

Ok so its really only mandatory for the first coat and extra coats don't need it? Thats good news since like I said I think there was still zaino on the car just not sure. Last time it was zaino'd was 9-10 months ago which I think was 3 coats, so hopefully it can last that long.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 08-13-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Applied Z-2 without ZFX...is this ok?