Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Why do people do rear seat deletes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because it looks BETTER. everyone who gets in my car always says wow that looks awesome with the seats out.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74...d/100_1173.jpg
Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I took the rear seats, belts, and associated brackets out of my car, then reinstalled only the foam seat bottoms. These really weigh nothing, cover up the holes in the carpet, and actually make it look like the rear seats are still installed to the casual observer. I can still kill the ideas of moochers with the !seat belt mod.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that's what I am talking about ! Looks SO much better without a box and with an aftermarket carpet to cover the holes instead !

Not sure why the seatbelts were left in though
Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Banned

i would say becuase of weight and it pay look better to some ppl?!?!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I never understood it either. I think seats look better than a big box in the back seat...or back "space" I should say. Or just not have anything back there but your right, it does kinda defeat the purpose of deleting something, cause in the end, your just adding something anyway so its kinda counter productive. I think it should now be called the "rearseatdeleteaddbox" mod.

Oh and whoever did that back seat that you just posted demonbird, it looks badass.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

This is like arguing about why your favorite color is better than the next guys. Not everyone likes the same thing. Also, not everyone modifys their cars to eek out an extra tenth of a second at the track or to act cool at the neighborhood parking lot on a Friday night.

Hell, why do people do the free ram air mod or the throttle body bypass? These mods do little for the performance of the car as well, but it gives people something to do to their cars to make them their own. Some people just like tinkering with their cars.

Ultimately, I guess lets agree to disagree.

Last edited by neonblack; 08-23-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

It's a matter of preference. Not everybody likes the same things. I had them in my T/A but took them out to fit our car seat for our little girl in the rear. I liked them because I didn't have to worry about messing up one of my seat bottoms if I had to carry something back there.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People don't mod their cars to make you happy, if you don't like it or get why they did it, so what? It's not like understanding people mods is rocket science...but you're the one who bought unchromed Z06's so I guess I shouldn't expect you to understand...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

I just keep mine folded down...works great for taking the dogs on a ride and keeps the rat leather from being exposed to the sun.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
They are always these huge monstrosities !!! Even the ones that come in two piece (one for each side) you're still adding an awkward hump to the car...

Why don't people just take off the seat bracket (on the floor on each side, just dremel off a couple of tack welds) and let the carpet (that was cut for it) lay flat and cover the hole

Or heck, get a new carpet that wasn't pre-cut...

On Mustangs and MAYBE GTO's they blend better but on our cars they always look more awkward than if you just kept the d@mn seats in there...

Am I alone in this???
Just curious, why do you care what someone else does to their car? I haven't done the mod but thought about it.......I ALWAYS have my rear seat folded down and my puppy is getting too big to be in my car with it in that configuration......so the delete would give me more room for her plus the lack of awkwardness of having that lovely transmission hump (or whatever it is) that runs down the center on the interior, in the way......
Old 08-23-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the seat delete kits look bad... maybe im in the minority, but extra storage for junk and stereo equipment seems like a good idea. As long as the carpet is matched well it looks great. I left my rear seats in.

The new carpet looks great... but have u ever replaced all the carpet in a car? Its a Major PITA even if the carpet fits and is molded perfectly.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

I put one in my mustang and I can tell you right now the main reason is for storage and weight, droped almost 50 pounds and got a huge area to throw **** in.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rottluver
......so the delete would give me more room for her plus the lack of awkwardness of having that lovely transmission hump (or whatever it is) that runs down the center on the interior, in the way......

This does not look like it will give you any more room in the back....

Old 08-23-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know about anyone else, but I like this for three reasons.
1. Our dog goes everywhere with us so its better for him.
2. For all the married people out there who grocery shopping, you have way more room.
3.Nice place to store tools, air compressor, helmet, etc. when you go to the track, and easy to unload when you get there.

Last edited by zo6vette037; 08-23-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Red01SS, how in the heck does that NOT give you more room?? You have a complete, flat space all the way across. So, the dog could lay down comfortably without being awkwardly positioned in the two humps. I prefer using it for groceries, it is much easier to lay everything across a nice flat space and not having to worry about the dips and humps.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

My seats are back in now. I took the box out, made it in a rush and dont like the fitment on it. I am gonna change the carpet to something a little more plush and lighter in color. I also wanted it to fit better around the doors

Old 08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6vette037

I dont know about anyone else, but I like this for three reasons.
1. Our dog goes everywhere with us so its better for him.
2. For all the married people out there who grocery shopping, you have way more room.
3.Nice place to store tools, air compressor, helmet, etc. when you go to the track, and easy to unload when you get there.
i dont see how this = more room. i mean can you not put your **** on the dam rear seats? also, i dont understand how anyone can complement on a car having no rear seats, when you look at theat area of the car it looks totally barren, like something is missing.

I belive the pet deal is a valid reason to go ahead with adding the wood box and all, that makes perfect sense. same for racing, as long as you arent adding a box after you take them out, that makes perfect sense. To all other points like, i dont want four people in my car, thats just homo. you cant just say the car rides like **** with four people? i just dont get it..... /end rant,

P.S, i love threads liek this, really gives people the chance to argue over the little things...

Last edited by phantomzer0; 08-23-2006 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added a comma
Old 08-23-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 261 Posts

i did mine cause i wanted to have a good soundsystem display but still use my trunk to put my t tops in figured it was a happy medium
Old 08-23-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

well it does give you a place to put things in where people wont see them. sort of like a trunk without the ugly ***-end. having said that i wouldnt do it myself
Old 08-23-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

In the cases of a lot of the "box" style rear seat replacements, it's not so much that it adds space, but that it adds enclosed space. I don't know if you've noticed, but we don't have much in the way of trunk space in these cars, even less if you've got t-top storage or a pair of amps and a sub (like me ). The idea of having even a small area where you can stash a few things (like a small screwdriver set, the adjuster **** for your shocks, CD cases, etc.) is pretty cool. I haven't done it, but I've thought about it a few times. Nobody ever rides in the back of my Camaro anyway.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Why do people do rear seat deletes???