Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Converting an Ls1 z28 to an SS question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just completely remove the badges if i were you.......
Old 09-06-2006, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And for the record, I too think that you should not put the badges on. It isn't an SS. Put the old school Z28 badges, they look better anyway. And go with a Sunoco hood, that would be one mean lookin ****. Just my .02.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Badges?!? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Badges!!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

I have no badges on my car right now, but if I put any on, I would use the Z28 badges even though I have a genuine SS hood, and an aftermarket spoiler. Nothing wrong with a nice Z.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001chevroletz28
Less fortunate??? WHAT AN *******. I have a z28 cause that is what I wanted......Probably spank your ss anyway..
Chill out.. Why woudl u want a z over an SS anyways? Also its the same freakin car, who cares about badges... Its not like a GT mustang putting cobra badges, those have different engines
Old 09-06-2006, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Default its not an ss

i wouldnt put ss badges on a z28, its not an ss, thats the only reason. they do look badass though, but who cares if a ****** miata thinks your z28 is slow, he obviously doesnt know what hes talking abuot, theres very little difference in the SS and Z28 !
but id do the SS hood and wing though, if i had the money haha

and that guy might not have meant unfortunate like that, SS' are hard to come by, no matter the price
Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Retro Z/28 badges own ss badges anyway!! Put the hood,spoiler, wheels, z/28 retro badges.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I would just put no emblems.
This is not the same as Corsa clone tips Do the fakes say Corsa? No, its the same style. Putting a label on something that is false is cheap. Kind of like the idiots with the Type R stickers
Old 09-06-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Converting an Ls1 z28 to an SS question"

I don't think you can convert a Z28 into and SS. You can only make a Z28 look like an SS. You can bolt on every stinkin part and it will still only 'look' like an SS. At this point you have comitted no fraud. As soon as you stick the badges on you are trying to say it 'is' an SS. If you like the way an SS looks then make it look that way but skip the badges. If you want an actual SS you'll have to go buy one. Let's say you do the conversion (with the badges) and then someone asks you what kind of car you have. You really only have 2 possible answers:

1) "I have a Camaro SS" (that would be false)
2) "Oh, it's a Z/28 that's made to look like an SS, and I put the badges on too" (long-winded but accurate)

Or, leave the badges off and call it a Z28, which it is what it is.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:09 PM
tx3
Launching!

quoted from someone here on the board..
"there are many cars that are ss's but the only z28 is a camaro." be proud not a poser lol
Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

I'd probably keep the z28 badges because they look cooler. When someone tells you an ss is way faster just ask them what makes it faster and they won't know ****.

I have 3800 badges
Old 09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
"Converting an Ls1 z28 to an SS question"

I don't think you can convert a Z28 into and SS. You can only make a Z28 look like an SS. You can bolt on every stinkin part and it will still only 'look' like an SS. At this point you have comitted no fraud. As soon as you stick the badges on you are trying to say it 'is' an SS. If you like the way an SS looks then make it look that way but skip the badges. If you want an actual SS you'll have to go buy one. Let's say you do the conversion (with the badges) and then someone asks you what kind of car you have. You really only have 2 possible answers:

1) "I have a Camaro SS" (that would be false)
2) "Oh, it's a Z/28 that's made to look like an SS, and I put the badges on too" (long-winded but accurate)

Or, leave the badges off and call it a Z28, which it is what it is.
3 possible answers.

3) "It's an SS clone based off of a Z28. All genuine, OEM parts."

Get the badging if you want to make it complete. And for the sake of the purists, do own up to the fact that you don't own a true factory SS. That's all.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
spoiler: okay
hood: okay
wheels: okay

but, putting badges/emblems on makes you a poser since that is clearly a label. I'm sure you will then tell everyone it is an "SS" also. It really sucks that some people have no grasp of the history of the Camaro and fail to understand that the "Z/28" has a better history than the SS. If these cars were all SS's, there would be posers trying to slap Z/28 emblems on them to be cool too I suppose.

Keep it real, be proud of the Z/28 heritage!
+1 BILLION
Old 09-07-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

Mine began life as a Z/28.... Remember any Chevy can be a "SS" only a Camaro can be a Z28.

Whatever you choose goodluck on it!
Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra2WS6
Chill out.. Why woudl u want a z over an SS anyways? Also its the same freakin car, who cares about badges... Its not like a GT mustang putting cobra badges, those have different engines
Because for the most part if you buy an SS you buy a car SOMEONE ELSE (aka: the factory) modded...

A Z28 is more like a blank canvas... You can put your hood of choice, spoiler of choice, rims of choice, etc... and not be wasting your money.

Because let's be honest, when you buy an SS you're buying a hood, rims and spoiler and an elite set of badges... To swap them out is a little silly...

Not to say I don't think it's even more ballsy to see a real SS with different rims or, even MORE ballsy, a cowl hood... But at the same time I think to myself, "Why did you buy an SS to begin with?"

IMO badging a Z28 as an SS is wrong for SO MANY REASONS (it's not a SS, it wasn't CODED that way from the factory, have pride in the Z28, etc...) and I even have a problem with the Tom Henry cars that started as Z28's and he badged as SS's... That's just me though...

You want your car to look like an SS down to the badges then do it.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:16 AM
11 Second Club

i know when i look at my original paper work i got with my car, there was ALOT more to my SS than a Hood, wheels, spoiler, and badges.. if your gonna fake an SS, do it all the way.. funny thing is.. everything that made my car an "SS" is gone except the spoiler and badges... which im thinking of getting rid of the badges and putting 408 emblems in their place.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
i know when i look at my original paper work i got with my car, there was ALOT more to my SS than a Hood, wheels, spoiler, and badges.. if your gonna fake an SS, do it all the way.. funny thing is.. everything that made my car an "SS" is gone except the spoiler and badges... which im thinking of getting rid of the badges and putting 408 emblems in their place.
Like what? **** poor excuse for an exhaust upgrade, "decent" shocks and sway bar? What else did I forget... embroidered floormats and key fob ???

I only mentioned the things I felt were worth mentioning...

To be honest, the only REAL benefit of an SS is something you CAN NOT change about a car that came as a Z28 from the factory... HIGHER RESALE VALUE

P.S. chrismcdaniel, your car sounds BAD@SS !!!

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 09-07-2006 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Like what? **** poor excuse for an exhaust upgrade, "decent" shocks and sway bar? What else did I forget... embroidered floormats and key fob ???

I only mentioned the things I felt were worth mentioning...

To be honest, the only REAL benefit of an SS is something you CAN NOT change about a car that came as a Z28 from the factory... HIGHER RESALE VALUE

P.S. chrismcdaniel, your car sounds BAD@SS !!!
Thanks man.. lets see, when i bought my SS, i recieved the following..

upgraded shocks
upgraded sway bar
1.5 inches added to my *****
upgraded dual/dual exhaust
handy dandy key fob
SS Dash plaque and exterior SS emblems
chrome zr1's
hood
ss lower airbox with opening for the hood
and a spoiler

man what a bargain for 35k in the year 2000
Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
Thanks man.. lets see, when i bought my SS, i recieved the following..

upgraded shocks
upgraded sway bar
1.5 inches added to my *****
upgraded dual/dual exhaust
handy dandy key fob
SS Dash plaque and exterior SS emblems
chrome zr1's
hood
ss lower airbox with opening for the hood
and a spoiler

man what a bargain for 35k in the year 2000
I'm not debating the ***** thing but the lower airbox is the same as a Z28 (only WS6's got the airbox from what I've seen)...
Old 09-07-2006, 05:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
I'm not debating the ***** thing but the lower airbox is the same as a Z28 (only WS6's got the airbox from what I've seen)...

well, the ***** thing is 100% true!! and as far as the airbox, i didnt know that the z28 had the opening with the rubber seal on the front of the air box that connected the outlets of the ss hood to the box.. though that was made just for the SS and WS6

Quick Reply: Converting an Ls1 z28 to an SS question.