Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My new, new manta stripe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first of all, I like your car. I love the stripe but your headlights, corner lights and lack of a grill are holding your car back.

My wheels SUCK and I'm presently trying to save money to get some new Chrome Z06's.

Hope this helps

I've also lowered my car with Koni SAs using the lower spring perch on the front and the hose mod on the rears.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

If you get some chrome z06's i think you should definately get a chrome or polished grill to go with it! see madice's pewter Z. And what's wrong with my headlights? They are stockers like yours!
Old 09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your headlights are chrome, mine are Whistlers. As far as the Chrome grille, MadIceV8 is one of the main reasons I went with the SLP SS grille. I want my car to be different in some respect. I never really liked the Billet grille to start with. Get some Koni SAs and lower your car....put some tire shine and that will help A LOT.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Well i like the gunmetal metallic grey better but american racing does sell these rims. They would look good. They have a flat clear over them.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Welcome to the New Manta club. The new Torq Thrust M's might be what you're looking for. Check the Wheels/Tires section for the Toms Wheels thread about them. They have black, chrome and gray(anthracite).
Old 09-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
So what do you think? I'm still unhappy with the appearance of my car...hate my rims and it needs lowered Gimme' some opinions! BTW the manta is a custom made stripe, cost 30 bucks.
Yeah, I feel you on the rims... I got them for my Black 1995 Trans-Am and HATED them... They looked really small (optical illusion, your eyes view the rims as the size of the painted black area) and I HATED the fact that the lip was ROUNDED instead of CHISELED like the real Z06 rims...

Anyways, not a fan of the "new" Manta... I say:

Get machine faced Z06 rims and Whistler mod the headlights (and get the matching clear corner/black housing turn signals), like this car:

Gloss black Manta with Satin black insert

Black Billet Grille w/ SS emblems

Paint the mirrors body color

Drop the car

And then you'll have a bad beast!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Yeah, I feel you on the rims... I got them for my Black 1995 Trans-Am and HATED them... They looked really small (optical illusion, your eyes view the rims as the size of the painted black area) and I HATED the fact that the lip was ROUNDED instead of CHISELED like the real Z06 rims...

Anyways, not a fan of the "new" Manta... I say:

Get machine faced Z06 rims and Whistler mod the headlights (and get the matching clear corner/black housing turn signals), like this car:

Gloss black Manta with Satin black insert

Black Billet Grille w/ SS emblems

Paint the mirrors body color

Drop the car

And then you'll have a bad beast!
I want to stay away from the z06's, after looking at alot of camaro pictures i've come to the decision that they look better with thicker single 5 spoke style rims. Thanks for the opinions guys, seems that there is a general concensus
Old 09-10-2006, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

For those that have done the whistler...how long does it take and how hard is it to do and make it look really good? also, how in the hell do i get that foggy looking crap off my lenses, i've scrubbed and scrubbed with clear plastic remover and nothing!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should drop it first. A drop does amazing things for the appearance fot he car. Then maybe you should do the whistler mod before you do something expensive like changing wheels.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not feelin those Z06's. I get some ZR-1's
Old 09-11-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manta looks really good!

What kind of lift kit do you have?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I like it. It helps the hood stand out while mainting a clean line.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

dark/black TTII's, lower it, clear/smoked corners and side markers, black powder coat grill, paint the mirrors, stainless nose emblem, clean up the headlights and maybe go with the whistler mod, and !body side molding. IMO, that'd be sick... ur car already looks good but these are some extra suggestions. BTW, im liking the manta stripe
Old 09-11-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camaroextra
What kind of lift kit do you have?
Looks like a skyjacker 6" lift.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. Any grill is better than no grill, that kills your car immediately.
2. Clear turnsignals and sidemarkers would improve looks, they look great on pewter.
3. Lose the black wheels and get some chrome like it looks like you are considering.
4. The red calipers dont flow, nothing else on your car is red. I would redo them in black or polish them.
5. Mirrors need to be painted pewter to match.
6. Lowered of course, like you have mentioned you intend to do.
7. Your headlights are really hazed over too, they need a good buffing.
8. Have you done anything to the engine bay or backend of the car?

Not trying to pick you apart, but nothing on your car flows. Too many colors on the exterior of the car, amber, red, black, pewter. I would stick to a black/pewter/chrome look, like I have done on mine. It flows really well on pewter. Madice has the exact same look to his car as mine cept differing grills.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K Pewter SS
1. Any grill is better than no grill, that kills your car immediately.
2. Clear turnsignals and sidemarkers would improve looks, they look great on pewter.
3. Lose the black wheels and get some chrome like it looks like you are considering.
4. The red calipers dont flow, nothing else on your car is red. I would redo them in black or polish them.
5. Mirrors need to be painted pewter to match.
6. Lowered of course, like you have mentioned you intend to do.
7. Your headlights are really hazed over too, they need a good buffing.
8. Have you done anything to the engine bay or backend of the car?

Not trying to pick you apart, but nothing on your car flows. Too many colors on the exterior of the car, amber, red, black, pewter. I would stick to a black/pewter/chrome look, like I have done on mine. It flows really well on pewter. Madice has the exact same look to his car as mine cept differing grills.
I kind of prefer the black wheel look, atleast on my car. Some black SS's and some different colors look good with chrome but i think my best bet will be to stick with black. Rear of the car has the berger panel with stainless inserts, and dumps so i have no tips. I agree with the mirrors and i think your suggestion of polishing the calipers or painting them black is a good idea. How would you go about polishing calipers and making it look great and not like a tacky job? And about the headlights, i've tried to buff' that ugly haze out! it looked good for about 20 minutes. Can't seem to get it out. You're suggestions are on point for what i'm going to do, except go with chrome rims. IMO They wouldn't flow. Do you have the light pewter or the darker pewter?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by farnoush
Looks like a skyjacker 6" lift.
It's a 7" jackass.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
I kind of prefer the black wheel look, atleast on my car. Some black SS's and some different colors look good with chrome but i think my best bet will be to stick with black. Rear of the car has the berger panel with stainless inserts, and dumps so i have no tips. I agree with the mirrors and i think your suggestion of polishing the calipers or painting them black is a good idea. How would you go about polishing calipers and making it look great and not like a tacky job? And about the headlights, i've tried to buff' that ugly haze out! it looked good for about 20 minutes. Can't seem to get it out. You're suggestions are on point for what i'm going to do, except go with chrome rims. IMO They wouldn't flow. Do you have the light pewter or the darker pewter?
I believe mine is the light pewter metallic, but not positive. I need to look at the paint code again honestly.

As for the headlights, they are gonna take a lot of work, I think the best way is to use 600, 800, 1000 grit sandpaper. A local friend just recently did his that way and then cleared them, and they really look good. I am pretty sure there is a much more thorough write up in the stickies about buffing the headlights though, just look a little.

I have never polished my calipers but I have seen some very very nice ones done. You are gonna need like a rotary drill or something along those lines to polish them. Again, it will take some man hours to do it. Painting or powdercoating(which is what I am considering doing for mine) would be an easier alternative.

I am glad to hear you have the Berger mod, its a near must for pewter and silver cars IMO. I think you have the right vision for how you want your car to look, its just going to be actually following through with it, and I do hope you achieve the look you are after.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K Pewter SS
I believe mine is the light pewter metallic, but not positive. I need to look at the paint code again honestly.

As for the headlights, they are gonna take a lot of work, I think the best way is to use 600, 800, 1000 grit sandpaper. A local friend just recently did his that way and then cleared them, and they really look good. I am pretty sure there is a much more thorough write up in the stickies about buffing the headlights though, just look a little.

I have never polished my calipers but I have seen some very very nice ones done. You are gonna need like a rotary drill or something along those lines to polish them. Again, it will take some man hours to do it. Painting or powdercoating(which is what I am considering doing for mine) would be an easier alternative.

I am glad to hear you have the Berger mod, its a near must for pewter and silver cars IMO. I think you have the right vision for how you want your car to look, its just going to be actually following through with it, and I do hope you achieve the look you are after.
Thanks man, yeah i would have guessed you had light pewter metallic, as i believe madiceV8 did too, but mine is dark pewter and it has alot of black flakes in it and i'm just not sure i would like the look of chrome on it. I might end up just going with the black calipers but man would polished look nice! I will look around about the headlights, worst case i will post something in this section asking around....BTW did you friend take the lense off and sand the inside also or just the exterior of it? And another thing is there a nice medium between clear and black corner lenses or are those my only two options? If so i think i'm going clear...

Last edited by 99camarosupersport; 09-12-2006 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: My new, new manta stripe