Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Fog lights, stock or aftermarket brighter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fog lights, stock or aftermarket brighter?

Hey, I've been reading and searching for a while now. My question is how much brighter is a set of APC or Hella lights over stock ones? Mine do not work at all and i'm trying to decide weather to fix factory or buy aftermarket lights. ALl help appreciated in advance.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock new ones with HID's look amazing..but i would only do it with matching low beam HID's...another thing would be to go aftermarket fog housings because most of them look "better" physically and if you can get a sylvania blue bulb or something similar in there, i imagine that it would very nice...be careful on burning the housing wih those hyper white bulbs i put some of those in my stock housings and ended up melting the whole dam housing, now i need new everything
Old 09-15-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah buy a set of aftermarket housings with 55w lamps in them, that way they'll be better fo rthe hotter bulb, then stick some HID fogs in with an HID low beam kit and you'll be blingin' Lol.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

PIAA 1100x driving lights are the WHITEST things going..

Old 09-15-2006, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think an HID kit is in the budget. For now I just decided to put in a set of 38w bulbs in place of the 27w that they come with. I'l watch them for a meltdown and get new ones then. I still have not found any that are close to the same size as factory 4.5". Anyone found any this size?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have CyberWhites which are 4 3/8".
http://www.fadingarrow.com/FogLights.htm
I think APC makes a simlar set.

Although the bulbs are tinted blue (which makes the light look whiter while actually reducing output somewhat), they are still much brighter than stock.

Also I did not connect the LED ring. The drawback to it is that there doesnt appear to be a way to permanently set the color. It looks like you have to choose the color on each turn-on. Maybe there is a way, but I'm not too keen on them anyway. I bought these fog lights to be fog lights, that are birghter than stock and fit in the opening, and in that respect they work perfectly.

BTW the 38watt bulbs will still melt the stock housings. I know from experience. They may not melt the whole housing into a mess, but the area immediatly around the bulbs will warp and the socket will melt to the bulbs.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-15-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog lights, stock or aftermarket brighter?