Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

When is paint too far gone?

Old 09-23-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When is paint too far gone?

I have a '93 formy that is in rough shape.

The body isn't bad, a couple scratches, door sag, bumper sag up front. I am thinking about repainting it, but I am wondering if it is something that can be fixed without paint.

It's like the clearcoat is gone...from lack of care in the past years, etc. When I wash the car and it is wet, the paint looks great. When it dries, not so much.

Is it possible to wetsand/buff etc and how would I go about that? If the paint gets ruined when I do this, no big deal, I guess it can't look any worse.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

If you feel like you have nothing to lose, I'd say go for the wetsand...however, if the clear is that thin, or nonexistent, then you'd just be spinning your wheels. I've only wetsanded once...it's not for the faint of heart. Hopefully, the experts like ZaneO or chupr0kabra will chime in with some how-to advice...
Old 09-23-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt wet sand it, the factory clear is very thin from the factory let alone old and sun baked. If youre looking to go the cheap route see if you can get it recleared. Good luck
-Jeff
Old 09-23-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro-Mo
If youre looking to go the cheap route see if you can get it recleared. Good luck
-Jeff
It's not so much about being cheap...

It's about being afraid to hand over a car for someone to paint. I would be really pissed if I spent $4k on a good paint job and was finding imperfections with it. And since it is an older car obviously I don't want to spend $10k to send it off to some upscale shop.

I have had cars painted before and have never been impressed with the results. I am too picky, I know this. And after a while the painter starts ignoring calls and hopes you just forget about fisheyes/runs/overspray. I have never been satisfied with any bodywork that I have had done.

I want to do this myself because I have the time & patience for it, just not the knowledge. I am very meticulous.

What is involved in reclearing? Do you sand off the top layer of clear? How do you know when to stop sanding?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wish I had moved to Charlotte (was thinking of moving there) I could help you out. I wouldnt think of giving back a car with fish eyes, runs, sags, bad bodywork or anything else if someone paid $4000. Thats just someone with no pride. When I reclear something I usually hit it with 600 grit dry paper the shoot the clear. But if you're looking to do the whole car then I recommend throwing on some basecoat too.
I meant cheap to be more like inexpensive.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to a local paint shop and ask?
Old 09-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

too bad. i love my body shop, looks brand new, if only u were in IL
Old 09-24-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Take it to a local paint shop and ask?
My thoughts exactly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When is paint too far gone?