Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: What is better for paint: One wash a week or many?
The LESS you wash, the better for the paint
20.69%
The MORE you wash, the better for the paint.
79.31%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Dirty car, but rain tomorrow. Wash or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Intimidator SS
I do.
Same here I wash/wax every week.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

I try to wash it every monday weather permitting. I use the 200 mph blower method of drying on mine. Then I pull it into the garage and lightly use my microfiber towels to dry it off the rest of the way. Using the blower I can pretty much dry the whole car with just 1 towel when im done. After that I tire shine the wheels and then use Zaino spray to keep the shine up. Speaking of which im all out of Zaino, I am such a disgrace to the community not having any Zaino.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wash mine after every time I take it out. Not a DD.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wash my car once a week. If its going to rain the next day I need to drive it, I won't wash it because it will just get dirty again.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If my car is truly very dirty than I would wash it before a rain storm. But if it just has water spots and such on it I would prob leave it until it gets dirty. I'm the summer I was my car once a week, Sometimes more if its a long week haha
Old 02-23-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

I wash mine once a week....and it rains almost everyday here in Houston.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I wash it once or twice a week. In the winter it's dark when I get home and I get a bucket of warm water so my hands don't freeze, and wash it in the dark. If it gets too dirty to stand in the winter I have taken it through the new touchless car wash next to where I work. In the spring I clay bar the whole thing and wax it, once I know I have a full warm day to do it. Then I wax it about each month all summer. My family thinks this is insane. But I know I'm not the only crazy one. You just don't drive a cool car when it's dirty.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wash mine once a week and wax about every 2 weeks, as long as you use good methods and products and especially good drying towels it wont scratch at all
Old 02-24-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
Funny. I was washing my car yesterday and this guy says your paint is going to fall off. (i know this guy he's cool)

I say matter of fact if i dont it will fall off. Fact it increases the value of the car. The dirt will build up and destroy the paint.

I say do a good quick wash. I keep doing it and it would rain just a few hours later. I wash one time a week as weather permits.
You think thats funny?LOL!!Can you picture what my neibor thinks of me as I had my 35th SS LE jacked up in the front yard cleaning her for a cruise when I started removing the rims to clean the back sides of em LOL!!! Thats when he knew to stop with his (washing the paint off comments) too LOL!!What do you say to someone that removes there tires to clean them ??
Old 02-24-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you use the proper methods, tools and chemicals, washing weekly is a good thing.

If you aren't washing and drying correctly, or if you take short cuts, or just do rinse and dries, then you are causing damage, and are better of leaving it until you can do it correctly.

If the paint is properly protected with a good coat of wax or sealant, then goign a couple of weeks between washes is better for the paint than washing it once a week incorrectly.

Two bucket method with grit guards, high quality car wash soap, high quality lamb's wool mitt, and minimal touch drying techniques using a blower and waffle weaves to blot drips is the best way to wash.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by coldkillinTA
and a never ending supply of elbow grease.. im sweatin like a pig after waxing my car
You'll have that in them big jobs
Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 AM
12 Second Club

Its 33 degrees outside and its midnight... so I go grab the bucket, the mit and the washnwax and head to the pressure washers)they have hot water..lol)

its the key to a nice vehicle..
Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Establishing a regular maintenance process will help to restore the surface to your satisfaction much quicker compared to long stretches in between comprehensive detail sessions. Using the correct tools and techniques will also make your job easier to complete. No matter how careful one can be, it is inevitable that some fine surface scratches and blemishes can occur over time. Knowing how to safely remove them will be key to maintain the surface to a high level over an extended period of time.

I test many combinations of products, techniques and tools when washing or detailing others or my own personal vehicles. It helps me to observe how products perform in different conditions. Whether it 34 or 104 degrees, adjustments can be made for completing the task. Whatever products are being used, learn to use them correctly according to the manufacturer instructions and use them regularly as desired. For me personally, I am happy if I get 24 hours before rain events. A number of my neighbors have blamed me for these rain events shortly after washing or detailing a vehicle. Just my contribution to help the North Texas drought end last year.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't practice as good of a wash/wax schedule as I should, but I say wash it as often as you can, wax it at least once a month if you can, and clay bar it a couple times a year..
Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Wash that MF
Old 02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

i used to wash my trans am 2/3 times a week and wax it once a month.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha damn waxin every week. must be daily drivin
Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

I usually wash off my truck after it rains or snows then give it a good wash after everything dries. It has been such a bad winter here in Missouri I just gave up. I think I have been washing it once every two weeks or so. When I do wash it I give it a good one though.

Quick Reply: Dirty car, but rain tomorrow. Wash or no?