Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how long does paint need to cure

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long does paint need to cure

i recently got a new front clip and it was painted new. got the car back and bottomed out the front pulling out of a parking lot the next day. the next day i looked at the front and paint had cracked and was falling off.
body shop manager claims the paint didnt have long enough to cure/dry. they waited till the last min to paint my car. then gave it to me.
should i wait a couple of days after the paint has been on before driving it though?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
i recently got a new front clip and it was painted new. got the car back and bottomed out the front pulling out of a parking lot the next day. the next day i looked at the front and paint had cracked and was falling off.
body shop manager claims the paint didnt have long enough to cure/dry. they waited till the last min to paint my car. then gave it to me.
should i wait a couple of days after the paint has been on before driving it though?
sounds like they fucked up the prep work...
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

well paint doesnt cure completely on average for about 30 days. The paint is actually hardening up during this period but in no means does this mean that the paint should crack upon scraping it. While the clear is much softer and more susceptible to scratches in the first couple of weeks it shouldnt have a problem like you have mentioned.
My guess is that the clip was stretched enough to cause the clear to actually crack. If they didnt use a clear with a flex agent built in or added any it would be more prone to cracking like you described. I would think that a reputable shop would know that a front clip would take a decent amount of abuse and they would have used a clear with a flex additive already in the product.

P.S. some clears have flex additive in them and are designed to release this property after a couple weeks. Really it just gives the body guys time to mount the pieces on the car while they are assembling everything. With that said your front clip should be less likely to crack in the first couple weeks if this is the case.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Launching!

If you mean the front bumper cover had cracked paint falling off, then they did not mix it right. Should of been mixed with the right amount of flex agent to prevent it from cracking. Go back and demand they do it right, after all you paid for it.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stryker14
well paint doesnt cure completely on average for about 30 days. The paint is actually hardening up during this period but in no means does this mean that the paint should crack upon scraping it. While the clear is much softer and more susceptible to scratches in the first couple of weeks it shouldnt have a problem like you have mentioned.
My guess is that the clip was stretched enough to cause the clear to actually crack. If they didnt use a clear with a flex agent built in or added any it would be more prone to cracking like you described. I would think that a reputable shop would know that a front clip would take a decent amount of abuse and they would have used a clear with a flex additive already in the product.

P.S. some clears have flex additive in them and are designed to release this property after a couple weeks. Really it just gives the body guys time to mount the pieces on the car while they are assembling everything. With that said your front clip should be less likely to crack in the first couple weeks if this is the case.
Yeah, Stryker sure talks like he knows anything about painting.......HEHE J/K Your the heat. Oh and Im still panning ideas in my head day in and day out about my hood. Thanks for the help so far.

But for real, Ive heard from some body that depending on the paint, it can take up to 6 months for it to be 100% cured. But even then they also said that antsy people have taken their cars the next day or even the end of the same day and had no probs.....I would do as said above and demand a better job for your money. Good Luck
Old 10-05-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to get off track here, but I was told flex additive is just to slow down the curing process. To allow installation of flexible parts, that were painted off the car, out of there normal installed position. But after 30days or so it has no more ability to prevent cracking.

Is this correct? Or was I told wrong?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Not to get off track here, but I was told flex additive is just to slow down the curing process. To allow installation of flexible parts, that were painted off the car, out of there normal installed position. But after 30days or so it has no more ability to prevent cracking.

Is this correct? Or was I told wrong?
No you were told correct, however there are flex additives and certain clears that retain there flexible properties indefinately. I have painted some 4 wheeler parts with both kinds and the one that is designed to remain flexible has stood the test of time where as the other one is showing some stress cracks from being torqued just a little more than it could handle.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Flex additive gives your paint the ability to bend instead of pull apart. Using more flex additive will give you more forgiveness when installing a piece, but the properties will not simply go away when the paint or clear is done drying, they are permanent.

FL Junkie - After having your lip painted and then scratching it very shortly after, there is no way in hell that the paint would crack if it was done properly. I recently had some work done on my grill and about 30 hours after the clear was on, it was installed. The amount of flex agent in the paint or clear coat makes a huge difference in the amount of torque or flexing that the paint can handle. Being freshly painted your lip would've been able to withstand MORE flexing than if it was completely dry. Some paints can take up to 90 days to fully cure, and even then there should be no cracking in a properly mixed paint/clear.

I would take your lip back to the body shop and ask them to do right by you. It was their mistake and if they have any pride in their work they would fix it. If they refuse I would take it to another body shop and get their opinion on why the paint did what it did, then take that back to the original body shop and ask them to fix the problem, if they don't just make sure everyone around town hears about it.

-Mike
Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

my body guy asks that you wait two months before waxing over it, just so all the solvents can evaporate. If your paint is baked, then it would be dramatically less.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Was this front end a genuine GM front end, or another brand? I ask this because on my old car ('96 camaro) I bought a replacement bumper piece (non-GM) and the paint started peeling a few weeks after installation. I took it back, and the body guys said on the cheaper plastic replacement places the plastic is made with a release agent mixed into the plastic to help it release from the mold it is made in. Therefore the paint has a bitch of a time sticking even if they prep the **** out of it. They prepped the **** out of it and painted it again. This time, it took 8 months to start peeling again.

Quick Reply: how long does paint need to cure