Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porter Cable help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porter Cable help!

Hey guys,

I recently decided to take the plunge and buy a PC 7424. I have some questions maybe someone can answer for me and some assumptions that may need clearing up. I can't look at my swirl marks anymore.

1. Pads: I saw so many different kits and each usually has something I need and something missing found in another. I KNOW I want at least the orange pad to apply mild cutting polishes and the white pad to apply fine or standard polishes. Do I really need the black or blue pads? Once my swirls are gone, I'd like to apply my wax like I usually do by hand if that's okay.

2. Products: The kits I liked (pad combination) come bundled with some products by Pinnacle, regular and XMT. How are these products? Should I go for the kits that bring this, or should I opt for a bare kit and find other products? How important is the pad conditioner spray? Also, how important is the pad cleaning kit? Could I just clean them myself in a bucket with some standard soap, water, and agitation?

Thanks fellas.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

pad selection is just as important as product selection.

the xmt is nice, i have used it. i switched over to adams stuff and his entire system is pretty much fool proof. he sells a 2 sided pad set with a quick change adapter. its some really cool stuff.

best thing to do is to start off with the orange pad and a mild cutting polish and set the PC at ~4-5 and move it at about 1 inch per second in straight overlapping motions with medium pressure (for light swirls).

then move to a polish with the white pad and set at 5-5.5 and move at the same speed with a little lighter pressure as before. then i like to use the black pad just to his it again with the polish at 5.5 speed at a quicker pace just to make sure i didnt miss anything. then the blue pad works awesome to apply any kinda liquid wax in a very thin layer. Pinnacle liquid is nice, Adams buttery, Nattys blue, or even zaino if thats your preference.

then i follow up with quick detailer after to bring out the final shine.

as for pad conditioner, i usually spray the pad quth quick detailer to make it glide across the paint easier. and for pad cleaning, i use a little simple green in a bucket and try and puch out as much of the polish as possible without wringing the pad. then lay them out to dry.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

1) You don't need black or blue pads. If you plan to use a glaze, the certainly help, but if you're planning to polish and then wax, you don't need one. I only apply wax by hand, as it keeps it from getting all over the windows, trim, etc.

2) http://www.properautocare.com/menpolandpad.html
That is my favorite kit to recommend to people who want to try the 7424/7336 and/or Menzerna's polishes. I've never used the Pinnacle products, but I've heard good things. Cleaning pads is something of a debated topic. Meguiars says not to, just to knock the old polish "dust" out when you get ready to use them again. I've always cleaned mine either in a bucket of car wash solution (work the pads, rinse thoroughly, allow to hang dry) or by putting them in a laundry bag (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12368836) and washing them in the delicate cycle of the washing machine, then allow to hang dry.

-Mike
Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow... Damn. Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Okay... Let me draft up a new plan now... Screw the black/blue pads... Doin' that by hand like I always do. Orange is good, white is good, too... The conditioner is unnecessary because detailer does a good job of lubricating the pad anyway.

The pad cleaning kit is also unnecessary because they can be washed just fine with simple cleaners in a bucket... Cool. How does this plan sound now?

Any standard precautions when using these abasive products?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just get the most abrasive pad and one step under. any softer pads and you might as well do it by hand, the porter cable is pretty weak.

the pad conditioner is a joke. i'd rather spend money and buy a new pad after a while than pro-long the life of a used. i used to wash mine by hand with liquid dish soap, rinse em out, stick them on the porter cable and run it at full speed for a minute. it would dry them out really well, just dont turn the porter cable on full speed with a wet pad while your inside.

they are no precautions to take with the porter cable, even if you use a compound, the machine is so mild and idiot proof that it's impossible to make a mistake.

i like the 3m line of compounds, polishes and glazes. meguiars stuff is decent, for wax i like p21s alot. if i cant use that and i really want a wax i'll go after something from the meguiars line. for a sealant, i like the acrylic klasse cleaner/protectant. i have used about 5 different sealants; some are better on certain colors than others, you just have to have alot of time and a small amount of cash to dump.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

The only precaution I always recommend: Use the least abrasive polish/pad combo that gets the job done. What I mean by that is, if you make a pass or two with your white pad/low cut polish and the swirls don't come out, step up to the higher cut pad/polish. I use the orange pad/high cut polish as a problem solver, but the white pad/low cut polish does the job 80-90% of the time.

Joe is right, though. It's pretty tough to do real damage with the PC7424, unless you catch the edge of a chip and it spreads, or if you drop the thing on your car. Just be somewhat careful in tight areas, like between the trunk lid and the spoiler, that you don't knock the backing plate against the car too much. The marks it leaves can be polished out, but it's just more work.

-Mike
Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Excellent... I thought these products were a little more dangerous, but I'm confident now to take this on... Do you guys think the intensive Menzerna polish can get out my swirls? They cannot be felt or seen in the daylight but can be seen very prominently under an artificial light. I hope this works.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
The only precaution I always recommend: Use the least abrasive polish/pad combo that gets the job done. What I mean by that is, if you make a pass or two with your white pad/low cut polish and the swirls don't come out, step up to the higher cut pad/polish. I use the orange pad/high cut polish as a problem solver, but the white pad/low cut polish does the job 80-90% of the time.

Joe is right, though. It's pretty tough to do real damage with the PC7424, unless you catch the edge of a chip and it spreads, or if you drop the thing on your car. Just be somewhat careful in tight areas, like between the trunk lid and the spoiler, that you don't knock the backing plate against the car too much. The marks it leaves can be polished out, but it's just more work.

-Mike
Would you consider the Menzerna Intensive Polish to be more of a high-cut or low-cut polish? I'm scared of going too high than is necessary, but I don't want buy more products then I have to.

I'd like to buy a polish that can cut enough to remove swirls for my orange pad & a polish that can clean gently for my white pad... Then seal it all in with a standard wax I already have (NXT, Meguiars paste, etc.) at home.

So basically, what's good for the orange pad and good for the white pad for a 2002 vehicle that has lots of swirls? My swirls are mainly due to ALOT of rubbing and swiping, washing and waxing... I have used alot of microfiber, pads and towels, but it seems I couldn't avoid the swirls from happening...

Anyhow, any input on the above questions? I am really learning from you guys so please don't stop posting!

If I stick to Meguiars, would their No. 83 Dual Action be good for an orange pad compound/polish and their No. 82 Swirl Free Polish good for a white pad finishing polish?

With Menzerna, is the Final Polish II good enough for a white pad finishing polish to be able to wax or seal right afterward? Their Intensive Polish already has me sold for a strong, orange pad cutting polish to work my way down from... Might it be too strong?

Thanks... Maybe others can benefit from this discussion.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks like it's about time for me to do another big write-up!

I had a PM with pretty much the exact same question today. I promised him I'd respond, but I might also turn it into another big FAQ/post.

I'll post back this evening. I'm still working, and have a lot of little paperwork stuff to do. I want to make sure to give you a good answer, though.

-Mike
Old 10-05-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

You're way too ******* cool, bro. I'm so sorry for buggin you!

I just did an ASSLOAD of searching and reading (like, two hours), and I think I'll stick to Menzerna's IP/orange pad and FPII/white pad combo after claying. I'll finish it up with a hand wax and see what happens. IF you have time later, I WILL NOT STOP YOU from posting said write-up!!!

You've already given me SO MUCH info, and I trust that combo enough because you recommended it. If you want to add something, I will be much obliged. However, I'm going straight for that combo and will post back how it goes.

Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, Menzerna works pretty well...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/358966-full-menzerna-pics-56k-begone.html

-Mike
Old 10-05-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

oh snap thanks Chupr0kabra!

Ordering that Menzerna kit along with

Porter Cable 7424 w/Pad Kit
Klasse High-Gloss Sealant
Souveran Paste Wax
Pinnacle Mist Spray
Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
Applicators/Wax Blaster Removal
P21S Total Auto Wash
303 Aerospace Protectant

And im gona order some
Zaino Leather Soft Z9
Zaino Leather In-A-Bottle Z10
Either Zaino Claybar or possibly pick up a Mothers Claybar from Autozone here

Damn im gona have some fun cleaning up the car lol.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a good arsenal to start with. I really like my Menzerna IP/FP combo. I still don't know how long I should go over each spot, on what speed setting, etc. for it to be most effective though. So, I try new things each time. A definitive and proven answer would always be appreciated though.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

On my red '02 I had the deep swirls and scratches that you could only see in artificial light. I started with Menzerna IPII and an orange pad then yellow pad - didn't help. Went to the 3M #39003 fine cut compound with orange pad and then yellow pad. Still had swirls. I am not sure the Menzerna will be aggressive enough for the swirls you are after. Finally went to 3M #39002 Medium Cut compound with yellow pad and after a couple of passes, they were mostly gone. When I tell people I spent 30 hrs, they can't believe it, but it is a huge learning curve. Judging from the color of your car, I am thinking you will need to do some kind of sealer/glaze. What brand - you will have to find out. I use Mothers and it seems to do OK, but if I could find others locally, I would try them. I also put it on with the black pad. Once you are finished, just take care in how you wash and detail you car from here on out. And yes, the PC is idiot proof. I tried to grind thru the finish on my Fiero, never could.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
If I stick to Meguiars, would their No. 83 Dual Action be good for an orange pad compound/polish and their No. 82 Swirl Free Polish good for a white pad finishing polish?
just a quick comment about the Meg's stuff .,. #80 is a better bet for the DA than #83 .. #83 is a borderline Rotary only product, and you need to be pretty salty with a PC to get it to breakdown properly .. I would recommend two applications of #80 instead of one of #83 .. I like #82 on black, but that is about it .. you could try first cut with #80 and an orange pad, then second with a White pad .. would give you a little less cut for the second application, and less chance of micro marring..

you can't go wrong with the Menzerna stuff.. it works very well, and is pretty forgiving .. have fun ..