Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

momo wheel install help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default momo wheel install help!!!

omg this is ridiclious! i hope none of you ever have to install a momo wheel! has anyone done this or have a write up on how to install a momo wheel on an 01 camaro i have the hub 2401 and it fits but when i go to torque down the hub it rubs a piece behind it and when i try to turn the wheel the assy with the blinker and tilt turn if i don't torque down the nut just barley tighten it.. its fine.. but thats not very safe.. can someone PLEASE help me!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Teching In

anyone please?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

there are a few on here that have done it. I have not been able to find a hub hence why i haven't bought a momo wheel yet! Your post is deterring me away from it! Hope you figure this out, sorry I don't have any helP!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Teching In

the hub was easy to find making it work is the problem.. the part number for 69-02 camaro is 2401 thats what i got thats whats stamped right on the hub.. i bought some thin metal and rubber spacers today to sim the hub away from the column some i am going to try and see if it works =\
Old 10-12-2006, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

I put a Momo wheel on my 93 several years ago so maybe I can help. There was some binding between the momo adapter and the "collar" on the steering column. I had to do a bit of clearancing on the inside of the collar with an air grinder to get the adapter to turn freely without rubbing. Not a big deal.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NavyBlue01
omg this is ridiclious! i hope none of you ever have to install a momo wheel! has anyone done this or have a write up on how to install a momo wheel on an 01 camaro i have the hub 2401 and it fits but when i go to torque down the hub it rubs a piece behind it and when i try to turn the wheel the assy with the blinker and tilt turn if i don't torque down the nut just barley tighten it.. its fine.. but thats not very safe.. can someone PLEASE help me!
Been there and done that. Yes, it's a pain but you can make it work. It should be a 20 minute job but it was more like several hours.

I wrapped some masking tape around the steering column (where it rubs) and ground off about an eighth of an inch to get the clearance. If you are careful, you can do it so it still looks good when you're finished. Touch up the ground edge with some black paint or permanent black marker.

I'm not understanding the rest of your issue. Send a pm if you need more help.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:09 AM
Teching In

the masking tape idea is a good one! i will try that after i do the spacers

the part that is rubbing is not the plastic cover though its the part tahts under that directly behind the steering wheel stud the part with the gm sticker that says danger blah blah blah if this is not aligned right it can cause airbag malfunction
Old 10-13-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is the Airbag crap, you have to pull all of that out... Get some snap ring pliers or somehow get the snap ring out and you can pull the yellow ring out. Then pull the lower cover off your dash and unplug the yellow wire that runs from/thru that yellow ring and pull it thru the column. I cannot remember if those wires have to be cut or not, they might all pull out after being disconnected, but if I remember correctly the end plug on that wire is too big to pull through the column so I cut the end off. Once all that is gone you will see the issue with the hub adapter rubbing the plastic of the column.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

I took my 2401 to a machine shop and had them turn down/mill about 1/4" off of the back. Works fine!!
Old 08-08-2023, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Im doing something wrong...

Man Im glad I found this thread. Ive got to be doing something wrong. I read that part about milling the black part that meets the columns plastic so I did that and when the wheel is tightened all the way down it seems fit just right (barely not touching). But what is happening is the part of the adapter that slides down over the splines is crushing the clock spring and locking up the steering wheel when I tighten it down. I could text you pics of it, theres an impression of the bevel of the adapter crushing the plastic under it and it even cracked it a little. I dont understand why this is happening. I know I saw a thread where you could sand down the plastic of the clockspring, or there was a company that milled the adapter for you to fix this problem but I cant find those threads now for the life of me and it looks like that company is out of business. When i use the puller to pull it back off it literally 'pops' off the column. are you not supposed to bolt it all the way down?

- Confused and breaking crap.
Old 08-12-2023, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured it out - yes the clockspring has to come out.

Quick Reply: momo wheel install help!!!