Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painted Interiors

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painted Interiors

Ok guys I'm going to bring this back up. If you've painted the interior peices of your FBody can you please post pictures and let me know what paint you use and what prep work you put into it.
I have the grey interior and would love to have it black.

To see what the interior of my car looks like right now check out this thread - https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/601253-interior-pictures-my-car.html
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Please, this thread is for useful information. If you are just going to be rude about the idea I ask that you stay out.

Yes I searched and looked at all the painted interior's I could find and where the pictures were still working.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think it could look good Chad if done right.. Im not sure on all the prep work thats involved but your going with black right? Just dont over do it.. I think the pieces that look good painted is the trim around the headlight switch, CD Player and HVAC, around the passenger vent and the middle shifter panel.. Sometimes around the gauge cluster but not always..

But make sure you sand them smooth so they look like fiberglass pieces...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2k2 camaro
I think it could look good Chad if done right.. Im not sure on all the prep work thats involved but your going with black right? Just dont over do it.. I think the pieces that look good painted is the trim around the headlight switch, CD Player and HVAC, around the passenger vent and the middle shifter panel.. Sometimes around the gauge cluster but not always..

But make sure you sand them smooth so they look like fiberglass pieces...
Yes I'll be doing black.

I won't be sanding it smooth though. I don't like the look of it. Honestly all I want is for it to look like the stock interior just black instead of grey.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Refer to the Appearance Hall of Fame sticky at the top of this page. I did a write on how to paint plastic pieces, including interior pieces.

Here's what some of mine look like:

Bryan
parbreak
Old 11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parbreak
Refer to the Appearance Hall of Fame sticky at the top of this page. I did a write on how to paint plastic pieces, including interior pieces.
Bryan
parbreak
I already read that but like I said I don't want to sand it down smooth. I want it to look like it came from the factory black.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I already read that but like I said I don't want to sand it down smooth. I want it to look like it came from the factory black.

OK??????????????? So don't sand it. But you'll have to use a paint like Fusion by Krylon which is made for painting plastics. Otherwise you're looking at the paint peeling down the road.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

try the search again, i know you said you've looked already but there is a thread about black interiors started by luna. contraststriker painted his interior with Krylon and other paints and came out great.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've painted alot of interior pieces and learned alot from it. I learned that it can turn out ridiculously shitty if you don't put much prep into it. I also learned it can turnout great if you spend ALOT of time prepping it.

If you arent going to be sanding all you really need to do is clean thoroughly, spray an adhesion promoter, spray a primer, and spray color.

I would try to find a high durability spray paint because the biggest issue I have seen is wear. Paint just doesnt stand up to a beating like the bare plastic pieces will. You will get alot of noticable scratches and rub marks.

But most importantly is all the other little things to consider. You're seats will still be gray, you're carpet and headliner will still be gray, are you going to dye you're dash or find a black one?

Personally I wish I had never painted a single interior piece I would rather now live with the boring gray than touch up the black all the time.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to go for the stock black interior look the only good option is to find a car with a black interior and buy the trim pieces, door panels, dash, console, etc. You could not sand it down and use Krylon Fusion but at the end of the day it is still rattle can Krylon.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

iv seen none sanded painted & cleared peices...and it looks shitty...
i promise you wont be disapointed if you prep then color...it looks great and not out of place. btw black is the ONLY color i would recomend for this type of mod...so good choice

ooooor....you could go to a junk yard and rip out a black interior...im getting the feeling you dont like your gray and just wish it was a different color...you can buy normal stock black peices for your interior...ebay has stuff like that...you just have to look
Old 11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as wear is concerned...I use to have the same problem. I switched clear coats from the standard Duplicolor clear to the Duplicolor Clear Wheel Coating. It is a lot more durable and looks just as good as the standard clear.
I haven't had a problem with scratches or rubbing since.
JC
Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Just some random shots of tan int peices I have painted. I just clean them and shoot them with Krylon Fusion paint, holds up fine..

( ended up re-doing door panals all black )

After x-mas Im gonna re-carpet the car, and get my headliner re-done. While all thats out it will be the perfect time to spray the dash... Then It will be done besides the seatbelts, which Im up in the air about.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

looks good...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by parbreak

Here's what some of mine look like:

Bryan
parbreak
Looks cool, do you have any pics of your interior all together?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luna
But most importantly is all the other little things to consider. You're seats will still be gray, you're carpet and headliner will still be gray, are you going to dye you're dash or find a black one?
Did you check out the link I posted?

My seats were redone in a custom black leather, in that post I mentioned I'm buying black carpet and a black headliner, black seatbelts, and my door panels are Ebony and from a 2002 Trans Am. My rear seat delete was covered in a black carpet as well. So once I do the panels everything will be black.

Like I said I just want the car to look like it came from the factory pitch black but it costs way to much and you could end up with pieces that aren't in as good condition as what I already have.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by Magnet
looks good...

Thanks, when I get done the only thing that wont be pitch black will be my seats, which are charcoal. I was thinking about some charcoal floor mats with a white fire chicken on them, and then some white faced gauges, white shift **** from hurst, and some phantom gauges from autometer on the piller...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

i had my interior pieces painted because the previous owner painted them white. i went to the local sherwin williams automotive paint dealer and had them color match some interior paint with a gray peice of trim i had. i used the soft scotch bright pad to scuff up the surfaces of the pieces. forgot which color it was, maybe brown? i was very gental with it, didnt want to leave any scratches. then i wiped it down with a tack cloth, and shot it with some bulldog adhesion promotor (highly reccomended). then i had my painter shoot on the paint with a rig. the finish is surprisingly really strong. i havent had to touch up anything, but i have been very careful around everything. i do not know if i would reccomend the krylon fusion because i do not have any experience with it. i would stick to automotive interior only paints because they have the correct sheen.

if you are looking for some paint in a rattle can i think duplicolor has some, and i have seen some good results with SEM paint http://www.sem.ws you will probably have to go to a specality store for the SEM paint.

bulldog comes in a rattle can as well, i think you can find it at basically any automotive parts store.

i can post some pics of my interior when i get my car back from the body shop tomorrow or friday.

i really had good luck with the whole sherwin williams experience everything was real easy.

good luck
Old 11-02-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

i wish my interior was all black, but its ebony. still its sexy looking but i like complete black interiors. i hate that bluish tint the stock dash and trim peices have. im sure some of you know what im talking about, wish it was all grey or black, but seems to have a grey/blue tint in it in certain light.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish my interior was black as well.. But I believe mine is more gray...

Quick Reply: Painted Interiors