Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Quick targa top question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 PM
math > me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick targa top question.

I'm going to put a targa top in my Camaro. I know what's involved as I've done the t-top conversion in my car too, so I'm not here to hear that I'm stupid or anything like that.

My question is, other people have raise the concern that when I cut out the t-bar that my car is going to basically fold.

From people who know more about the subframe of an f-body, do you think that SFC's and a STB will keep that from happening? I know the car is going to obviously flex more, but I would think those two things would all but eleminate that. Short of putting a cage in it, what are some other ways I can keep that from happening? Thanks a lot, it's appreciated.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've heard just 3 point SFCs and you'll be fine. But then again, what's the difference between a vert and targa top?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

what is a Targa?? No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people
Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

i would think you would be fine especially with the SFC...get the welded though
Old 11-10-2006, 11:40 PM
math > me

I had planned on the welded ones. Thanks a lot, it's appreciated. When I wanted to put t-tops in my car, all I heard was how stupid I was. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 PM
math > me

Originally Posted by Mdeleon
what is a Targa?? No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people
A targa top is like what some Corvette's have where the whole roof panel comes off as one piece as opposed to two glass t-tops.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 666 speed
I'm going to put a targa top in my Camaro. I know what's involved as I've done the t-top conversion in my car too, so I'm not here to hear that I'm stupid or anything like that.

My question is, other people have raise the concern that when I cut out the t-bar that my car is going to basically fold.

From people who know more about the subframe of an f-body, do you think that SFC's and a STB will keep that from happening? I know the car is going to obviously flex more, but I would think those two things would all but eleminate that. Short of putting a cage in it, what are some other ways I can keep that from happening? Thanks a lot, it's appreciated.
The car will not fold (the windshield's on convertibles don't fold) and for body strength SFC's are all you need... Sell the STB it is absolutely pointless on our cars.

Just a heads up though, saying, "I know what's involved as I've done the t-top conversion in my car too, so I'm not here to hear that I'm stupid or anything like that..." makes you sound stupid.

Having been involved in both (I was the FIRST person, on the message boards at least, to do a t-top conversion and my friend Chris, aka Whistler, is to this day the only person I know to have done a Targa top) they are NOTHING alike...

T-Top conversions are VERY simple... Easier than a cam swap as I've done them start to finish is about 3 hours and that's with an hour lunch break. Chris put 100 hours into his Targa top and he is a VERY experienced bodyman...

It requires very skilled metal work to re-construct the roof's metal channel (aka lots of welding and grinding) after you cut the bar out and an @SS load of trial and error making a Targa roof for it.

Most people who might be capable of doing a T-Top conversion wouldn't even be able to make a new headliner and weather stripping for a Targa top let alone the top itself let alone the work on the roof involved.

Not saying you can't do it, I don't know you. Just saying they are NOT comparable projects. One involves removal and then re-installation of different parts where as the other is TOTAL FABRICATION FROM SCRATCH.

What do you plan to make the top out of? Chris made a mold PARTIALLY from a hardtop's roof to make a carbonfiber piece out of and used two t-top latches to attach to it to make the top.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
math > me

I figured the easiest way to make a mold as close as possible from the beginning is to make a mold of my roof line. I put a trash bag over the top of the car and laid fiberglass. This made a rough mold. The top is going to be 3-4 layers of fiberglass total. The second layer is drying right now. I had also planned on using the t-top latches.

My family owns a body shop, so body work is nothing. My papaw has owned it for over 40 years. I have every tool and machine at my disposal. I understand what you're saying that a t-top conversion and a targa are totally different projects due to the custom fabrication of everything. Thanks for your advice too, it's good to hear from someone who has actually done this. I couldn't find a lot on how it was so if you don't mind me asking...What really other than cutting out the t-bar and folding a lip to fit flush with the rest of the car where the t-tops fit, weatherstripping, and custom fabrication of the top and headliner is involved? Thanks, it's appreciated.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone have pics of a finished project?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:43 AM
math > me

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=targa

http://community.webshots.com/album/39613537IsXsoN
Old 11-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 666 speed
What really other than cutting out the t-bar and folding a lip to fit flush with the rest of the car where the t-tops fit, weatherstripping, and custom fabrication of the top and headliner is involved? Thanks, it's appreciated.
Well my friend Chris is the one that did it, not I... but that is pretty much it.

I THINK he used part from the t-bar to weld back into the spots that he cut out the t-bar so that he had metal with an already shaped channel and lip for the weatherstripping. I could be completely wrong though as this was awhile back...

Sounds like you have a good handle on it though...

The weatherstipping is actually easy now that I remember... You have more than enough excess weather stripping from the t-tops... You just cut it so that the two sides meet in the middle, throw a little silicon on for good measure (not even really neccessary) and you're good to go!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

so who are you using to make the top glass piece? or are you going to make a whole nother roof, maybe you could use the old roof piece?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:23 PM
math > me

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

I no longer have the original roof piece anymore. The t-top conversion was almost two years ago. I'm making the piece on my own out of a few layers of fiberglass.

Once again, thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow how awesome! i wish i could do it to my car but i have no experience. The pics on that page didnt work can you post some more pics here? isnt there a viper gray camaro with a targa as well?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Teching In

I have some pictures at work of someone who did it to their car. I'll post them tomorrow. I have no idea who did it, what was involved...I just have the pictures.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Here are the pictures I have:

Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

^ That targa looks pretty good.
I don't care much for those rims - they make the stock brake set up look tiny, but
the rest of the car looks good.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Launching!

I love the targa idea, looks great. Good luck with the project.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by one_wicked_element
Here are the pictures I have:

That is Chris's (Whistler's) car...

Quick Reply: Quick targa top question.