63.83%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Camaro or Trans Am/ Formula

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
Well, I think the Chrysler looks like the Camaro and not vice-versa. In other words, Chrysler riffed on GM. I always liked the headlights on the '93 - '97 models better. I wish they had stayed with that or at least a version of that design with round headlights. I hate the sealed beam lights. But, as far as a Trans Am looking like a Corvette…?? (Besides the paint schemes you chose to compare) I'm not seeing it. I think it's wishful thinking on your part.
the t/a and vette aren't the same size, and the backs are very different. so no they don't LOOK ALIKE, they resemble.

especially on the front-half. surely you can't honestly look at the pic comparision i posted of the 79 vette vs the ls1 t/a and say you don't see any similarity besides the color. look at the lights and fender lines, following into the C5 with the same thing plus the roof line, shared with the Camaro as well of course.

my only wishful thinking is that they didn't quit the production of them.

viva la catfish.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
viva la catfish.

Okay, I'll give you the flip-up headlights and curvy front fenders but, the WS6 hood is killing your arguement (at least for me). Maybe if you used a silver Formula it would be more obvious. FWIW, I've never had anyone ask me if my car was a Chrysler but, I've had lots of people ask me if it was a Trans Am. So, I guess my SS also "resembles" a Corvette, a "poor man's" Corvette.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:49 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of those pics that were just posted I would have to (Believe it or not) say that the Silver TA is much better looking than the C5 posted IMHO...Looks meaner,and has an almost Formula 1 style to it...Probably because I have never been into the look of the Vettes..
Old 12-14-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Formula 1 Racing???? you know that is all open wheel racing right?
like michael schumacher and ferrari

you got to mean some other type of racing right?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

One of my favorite signatures is "an SS looks like it can kick your ***, but a WS6 looks like its coming over to do it"
Old 12-15-2006, 02:29 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
Formula 1 Racing???? you know that is all open wheel racing right?
like michael schumacher and ferrari

you got to mean some other type of racing right?
Ok man....calm down..

Yes I do mean Formula 1 racing...

When you see a TA coming down the road especially from a front 1/4 view it looks IMO very "Formula 1 like"...With the rake of the car,the wide rear spoiler,all going into a very "wedge" arrow head shape...

Don't be looking at them up close and looking for similarities between the fender curves (or lack of),head light shape (or lack of)....I'm talking about the shape of them.The profiles,that sleeked triangular shape...etc..

Didn't mean it soo literal...

Old 12-15-2006, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

yeah..... I do not see it at all and I have owned a T/A and a Formula

I see funny car more than anything else when I see a Firebird (T/A), but I suppose thats cause there are Firebird Funny Cars

When I think of Formula 1 the only street legal car I think of is Enzo
Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
yeah..... I do not see it at all and I have owned a T/A and a Formula

I see funny car more than anything else when I see a Firebird (T/A), but I suppose thats cause there are Firebird Funny Cars

When I think of Formula 1 the only street legal car I think of is Enzo
Yeah...Well I'm happy you have enjoyed owning Firebirds.I have also owned quite a few as well.4 Trans Ams ( 80',81',98',99') and one Formula (81').And I do see it.

But I guess its like the saying,"Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder".Different people find beauty in different places..."Different strokes..."

Actually back to the topic,I didn't actually answer the question...

My order of preference..WS6 and SS are tied in my book.Gorgeous cars and looking at the design and power level they reached before they were discontinued,I would say they went out IN STYLE.

I just happend to run across a very nice SS first,so thats what I bought.I was in the market for either.Also I hadn't owned a Camaro since my 93' Z28.So I felt it was time for another Camaro.

Now if all things (price,year,milage,location and condition) being equal I would sway over to the WS6 side of things.I love both and will probably never stop swaying back and forth bewteen the two.

BTW I'm sure I speak for quite a few Camaro owners when I say that the "Poor Man's Vette" saying can bite me...Its insulting and basically states that we only have F-Bodies because we can't afford a Vette?F*uck that.

I don't deny the Corvette is a great car but,I would much rather be going after mint condition F-Bodies if I had the cash.Again,people have different likes/dislikes.

The Corvette is GM's SPORTSCAR...The F-Body is GM's MUSCLE CAR.

I prefer Muscle over Sporty.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AnimalSS

Okay, I'll give you the flip-up headlights and curvy front fenders but, the WS6 hood is killing your arguement (at least for me). Maybe if you used a silver Formula it would be more obvious. FWIW, I've never had anyone ask me if my car was a Chrysler but, I've had lots of people ask me if it was a Trans Am. So, I guess my SS also "resembles" a Corvette, a "poor man's" Corvette.
the WS6 hood just adds to the sexy.

i used to get asked if my old 98 Camaro was a Firebird as well; they are the same size and same platform of course - but i'm still not sure how people make that mistake, even if you don't a lot about cars.

BTW, you have a very nice 'camaro, AnimalSS; if it's the one with Corsa tips, I have those pics saved and it helped to inspire me to get them for mine - which hurts a broke man's wallet pretty damn bad.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

T/A all the way i've owned em all....
Old 12-16-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Toss up....

It can go either way, i've owned all TA's/Formy's and brother has owned all Z28's. We love them both and swap out often.
I can tell you one headache of the TA are the headlight motors which can cost you a couple hundred each and the ground effect over time gove you a few more squeaks and rattles.

Ultimatley you gotta go with what makes you happy. Either way they are the best bang for buck, @ss kicking rides ever produced! Just look or one that's been well taken care of.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Personally I like the camaro more, cause I have one, There are some Ponitacs that are really nice too, But it all comes down to what you want.

I my self did not really buy the car cause of the looks, I bought it cause it was a fast ****** car, and something I could keep working on to make it faster. Who cares about the looks, Go for how the car runs. Both cars have good and bad qualities, just like chevy vs ford. You find a good one in all of them.

Quick Reply: Camaro or Trans Am/ Formula