Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What would it take to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats not that big of a deal, theres 57767867890790709 f cars with smashed noses get a quarter,have it put on that believe it or not is COSMETIC that car'd drive the same with that quarter fucked up, itd prob cost ya a couple grand to put a quarter on the car...the car cheap or what?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kman
The whole body of the car from the doors back is metal and is part of the frame.
lol. Gotta love those metal bumpers on f-bodys that are part of the 'frame'...
Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The whole body of the car from the doors back is metal and is part of the frame. You can't just unbolt the rear panel and put a new one on
The outer quarter skin is in no way part of the frame of the vehicle, its part of the structure but does not attach to the unitized frame rail at any point.
I replace at least a quarter panel a week, on cars of all makes and models. I have also done well over thirty or so F body quarter panels. If it weakened the structure of the car then GM wouldnt allow them to be replaced due to liability on there part. You guys are talking about something you know nothing about.

I also replace parts that attach to the rails and even the rails them self, and none of these cars were totals or I wouldnt be doing repairs on them. If done correctly there just as strong and in some cases stronger than before "witch you dont want for safety reasons".
Why do you think no company besides GMMG ever did huge rear fender flares? Costs BIG money and time.
Custom work is a specialty feild that is time consuming and costly like you stated. this doesnt fit into the conversation that I can see and has nothing to do with structural strength or frame rails. I will say that anytime a fiberglass quarter completely replaces the steel quarter your going to end up fighting stress cracks from the torsional stress. Those little mysterious demples above our wheel well openings and near the front corners of the hatch happen for a reason. Im sure GMMG was smart enough to leave most of the factory quarter in place and only trim as needed, they also gave them six point cages. The only way to reinforce the rear of the car is with a roll cage. FRC only reinforce the cab erea, they do nothing for the rear.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much is he wanting for the car??
Old 12-06-2006, 10:33 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$6650, 115k miles, 6 speed, ss wheels, new stock clutch, brake pads, rotors.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ragingwolf51
I may have been mixed up. I thought chopping welded parts of the frame challenges the structural integrity of the car.
No, if done correctly and to the manufacturers specifications there just as good as factory and can be stronger than factory "you dont want this for safety reasons though". Rails are designed with crush zones to absorb impact, you have to be careful with where you splice into a frame and how you splice into it, how mutch heat you use ect. Structural steel will lose its strength if heated to mutch or to long and will buckle or collaps if in another collision.
To strong or to weak, ither way the car wont absorb impact like it was designed and the air bag may not deploy as it was designed.

A quarter panel replacement is a minor ordeal that in no way hurts the integrity of the car. It also doesnt come in contact with the frame at any point.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
$6650, 115k miles, 6 speed, ss wheels, new stock clutch, brake pads, rotors.
Miles are high too. Offer him $4k. If you can't get it for that, i'd walk.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

no way... i got a 98 6 speed formy for 7900 with 80k and needed to replace the slave... which was like a 65 dollar part... 115k with body dmg for 6650 is way too mcuh.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

Don't walk, run!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigPimpinCook
Don't walk, run!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Photoshop will fix that right up

Quick Reply: What would it take to fix this?