Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Firebird Projector Headlights!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also remember seeing a rectangular foglight or driving light with a thick lens that looked like it was a projector. I thought it was pretty cool, but I never looked into it any further. Have you checked your local autoparts stores?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason, I think I found those 4x6's that you were looking at. Do these look familair? Im not gonna post a link to them since it is nathans thread, so just pm me if you want to check them out. The site says 4x6 and fits up to '97s. What would be needed to make them fit ours?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Those most-likely aren't real projectors though. If those are the units available on ebay, they are just a regular reflector housing that someone put a hunk of glass in front to make it look like a projector. Some actually come with real projector lenses (usually not), but the bowl is not shaped properly and there is no cut-off shield.

I could be wrong about the ones you posted though. Can you PM me the link and I'll let you know what I can see?

I brought up the bit about some actually having a real projector lens because I've seen mods where people replace the dimpled lens on their projector with the clear lens from one of these. Its hit-or-miss though with those lenses. If you take a look over on HID Planet, you'll see a thread on this.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Jason, I think I found those 4x6's that you were looking at. Do these look familair? Im not gonna post a link to them since it is nathans thread, so just pm me if you want to check them out. The site says 4x6 and fits up to '97s. What would be needed to make them fit ours?
I already have my projectors, I'm only helping out on this thread because I like to help folks out. those projectors may be a bit too deep to fit our cars. Even though we have 4x6, I think its a little bit more or less than that size so it may need tweaking, we may have to open the back of the stock housing some to get them to fit.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-11-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I already have my projectors, I'm only helping out on this thread because I like to help folks out. those projectors may be a bit too deep to fit our cars. You Even though we have 4x6, I think its a little bit more or less than that size so it may need tweaking, we may have to open the back of the stock housing some to get them to fit.
A 4X6 won't fit on a 1998-2002 Firebird without some cutting of the brackets. It is actually similar in size (slightly narrower) than the 1993-1997 Firebird headlight and should fit there (provided that they aren't too deep), but the 1993-1997 Firebird would need a bi-xenon setup to retain high beam. I can't tell from the pics, but I doubt they are bi-xenon.

I sent them an email asking if they are real projectors or fake. I'll let you know their response. If it turns out to be the real deal, maybe we can get a sponsor to carry it.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
A 4X6 won't fit on a 1998-2002 Firebird without some cutting of the brackets. It is actually similar in size (slightly narrower) than the 1993-1997 Firebird headlight and should fit there (provided that they aren't too deep), but the 1993-1997 Firebird would need a bi-xenon setup to retain high beam. I can't tell from the pics, but I doubt they are bi-xenon.

I sent them an email asking if they are real projectors or fake. I'll let you know their response. If it turns out to be the real deal, maybe we can get a sponsor to carry it.
Originally Posted by blindxeyed
I bought a set of those for ***** and giggles, just to see how well they worked. They're a joke. They have a magnifying lens rather than a projector lens. Scatters light everywhere. Paid $40 for them, so at least I didn't lose that much.
See above, those things are a joke
Old 01-11-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like blindxeyed says... Dont even waste your money on those pieces of junk. I got a set because they were really really cheap. And I wanted a set of conversion housings to do my real HID retrofit. The stupid little magnifying glasses flop around too...ahha. Its retarded that they are even alowed to sell on ebay under the title "projector housings"...

Anyway...

J.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
See above, those things are a joke
90% of the ones on the market are fake, but every once in a while a real one gets out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/823355-found-something-interesting-1993-1997-firebird-headlights.html
(Its not a great projector, but it is a real projector.)

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Just like blindxeyed says... Dont even waste your money on those pieces of junk. I got a set because they were really really cheap. And I wanted a set of conversion housings to do my real HID retrofit. The stupid little magnifying glasses flop around too...ahha. Its retarded that they are even alowed to sell on ebay under the title "projector housings"...
Some have lenses that are fairly accurate reproductions of projector lenses while some are the completely wrong shape. Either way, the lens is only half the equation.

Here is a thread on HID Planet where superjoe83 used the lens from one of those fake sealed beam projectors to modify his FX projector from a dimpled lens to a clear lens:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33410

Last edited by VIP1; 01-11-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

90% of the ones on the market are fake, but every once in a while a real one gets out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823355
(Its not a great projector, but it is a real projector.)
Yeah I was just referring to the cheap ebay ones. I already made a couple posts in that thread about trying to see if the seller can make those in 4x6's.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

No response from the company yet.
I probably won't get one, but I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Firebird Projector Headlights!!