Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Can a MacEwen Gauge Overlay be removed if needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Can a MacEwen Gauge Overlay be removed if needed?

I am very interested in buying a white MacEwen gauge overlay for my 2001 Camaro SS. I am one of those guys that keep all my stock parts when I mod my car. If for some reason in the distant future I decide to remove the MacEwen overlay to go back to "stock look", is it possible?

Is it basically a sticker overlay or held in place by the lens bezel?

Bill
Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill im getting ready to remove mine Im thinking do to the fact that Im skeptical on how it will look as Im changing over from Phantom gauges to the Cobalts. My only concern is if there is going to be some corny outline or sticky residue afterwards.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

i put mine on crooked and they were on for about a month, then I couldn't stand it anymore so I took a blow dryer to heat up the glue and a butter knife and it came off. Left residue but you just have to take your sweet time
Old 12-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Teching In

I removed mine when i grew tired of how they looked after a couple years. I used a hairdryer on very low heat to warm up the overlay enough so the glue would release. That got most of it off.

For the remaining residue, I took my time with Goo Gone. Be real careful so that you don't get any down in the cluster.

This is after the removal, there is absolutely no evidence of them ever having been in the car.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

they come off really easy! Your new gauges will come with a piece of paper stuck to the back off them...after you remove your originals, you can stick them to that piece of paper and save them. They have some serious adhesive on them!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by byler900f
they come off really easy! Your new gauges will come with a piece of paper stuck to the back off them...after you remove your originals, you can stick them to that piece of paper and save them. They have some serious adhesive on them!
the orignal gauges arent stuck on. they are part of the cluster. the macewens stick over the stock gauges.

are you in athens ohio by chance?

Quick Reply: Can a MacEwen Gauge Overlay be removed if needed?