Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Leakage when it rains...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well mine doesn't leak I adjusted my t-tops, by removing the A-pillar and B-pillar cover. There are some guide that can be moved. All you need a pen to mark the orginal point and a I think a 7mm wrech. Also check to see if the plastic guide, circle piece that snaps in, is still there.

This might not be the proper way to adjust them, but it works for me. I start by loosening the front adjuster bolts, just enough to make it move. Then I replace the t-top and pull the handle to the lock position. Next, is to push the panel down and pull a little bit outward. When the desired location is found, remove the panel and tighten to the proper specs. Repeat for the rear adjuster. Check to make sure the pins are not binding or difficult to latch. Don't forget to mark you orginal location too.

Also if you condition the seals with silicone grease (Dielectric Grease), it helps stop some of the break down and drying. I do this twice a year.

This if off topic, but if you need to stop the rattles the top, try adding some 1/4 weatherstripping inside of the cover the t-top. If you need a pic, I can get one.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

can you get a pic? because that ratteling is annoying.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZFan88
i think i heard of someone using silicone grease on the weatherstripping, but i'm not familiar with the stuff. who is still leaking after sfc's?
Mine does. I just get a few drops down my window. I don't know how bad it leaked before the sfc, my car came with them.

I will try the silicone grease on my seals when it comes out of storage. The grease is the same thing you use on electrical plugs. Dielectric Grease=Silicone Grease.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sunsetbird01
Well mine doesn't leak I adjusted my t-tops, by removing the A-pillar and B-pillar cover. There are some guide that can be moved. All you need a pen to mark the orginal point and a I think a 7mm wrech. Also check to see if the plastic guide, circle piece that snaps in, is still there.

This might not be the proper way to adjust them, but it works for me. I start by loosening the front adjuster bolts, just enough to make it move. Then I replace the t-top and pull the handle to the lock position. Next, is to push the panel down and pull a little bit outward. When the desired location is found, remove the panel and tighten to the proper specs. Repeat for the rear adjuster. Check to make sure the pins are not binding or difficult to latch. Don't forget to mark you orginal location too.

Also if you condition the seals with silicone grease (Dielectric Grease), it helps stop some of the break down and drying. I do this twice a year.

This if off topic, but if you need to stop the rattles the top, try adding some 1/4 weatherstripping inside of the cover the t-top. If you need a pic, I can get one.
Please post a picture. My passenger side will rattle whenever I have that window down.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Teching In

LS1Tech 10 Year

Here are a few pics and brief directions

The tools needed are Tweezer, L-Shape Scribe, Philips Screw Driver, Self Adhesive Weatherstripping Foam 1/8-1/4 thick. I used some left over Frost King from a roll which is 1/8 thick

Next is take the L-shaped end of the scribe under the handle. Make sure the handle is in the lock position. Pull on it gently the spring clip may go flying. Afer that remove the handle by rocking it and pulling upward. Then remove the two screws on the sides of the t-top.

Clean the plastic with cleaner like PPG Acrylic Clean or your favorite cleaner. It will be dirty. Add the weatherstripping to these areas in gray.

Larger Picture

Dont forget to clean and grease the latch and sliding pins

Reinstall the cover, it will be a tight fit, until the foam compresses over time. Reinstall the screws, then the handle with the spring clip together. Do not press the clip in, just enough to keep it on there.

To test if there is any more rattling sqeeze the t-top and platic cover together it should not make any noise or drive the car. If it does check for rubbing marks on the plastic and place a piece of foam in its place. This has worked on my 92 Firebird and 01 Firebird. Any question just ask, sorry for a long post.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

omg yea when i first got my SS i brought it to a car wash and i ended up with a puddle of water in my passenger seat and i got soaked myself. And when it rain it leaks a little bit but not enough to actually bother me
Old 12-25-2006, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

try cleaning the weather stripping real good. mine would leak on me alittle and i cleaned it real good and hasnt leaked on me since. (knock on wood)
Old 12-25-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sunsetbird01
Here are a few pics and brief directions

The tools needed are Tweezer, L-Shape Scribe, Philips Screw Driver, Self Adhesive Weatherstripping Foam 1/8-1/4 thick. I used some left over Frost King from a roll which is 1/8 thick...
Thanks for posting that up. I don't think this will help me though, as the plastic part of the t-top rubs on my A-pilar piece when the window is down.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Teching In

LS1Tech 10 Year

You can movethe a-piller cover foward just alittle bit, if you remove the screws. You will see the metal guides, just loosen a push foward just a small amount. Try not to move it side to side. It might stop some of the rubbing. Im not sure if that is your problem.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The metal guides are for the t-top latchs right? I checked those when I got my car to make sure my t-tops don't fly off.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

wow, imma try this out tomorrow if i get the time, ill tell yall how it works out.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

got the t top off now need to go get weather stripping.. ran outta time today.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Go to your local dealer and get some Weatherstrip conditioner

I heard from a couple of local guys that they applied it on the weatherstrip and it hasnt leaked.